PDA

View Full Version here: : Filters at Rock Bottom Prices

astronut
01-03-2007, 10:07 AM
I have been in contact with the President of Omega Optical in the U.S. concerning the ebay store he runs.
Omega Optical are a producer of all types of filters for all sorts of applications in Industry.
As with most large orders there are always a overrun of material.
With this in mind Bob Johnson makes available at a greatly reduced cost the broadband and narrowband filters that we know as O111, HB etc. At the current exchange rate a 2" O111 HB filter cost del to my door $73AUD. The 1 1/4" is approx $59AUD.
I have just recieved mine and the difference between having the filter and not is amazing. Nebulas that look good in the E/P just jump out at you with more detail.
These spectrum specific filters work better as aperture increases.
Try out the ebay site at bjomejag or send your enquiries to bjomejag@sover.net. Website is www.omegafilters.com (http://www.omegafilters.com) :D

ving
01-03-2007, 10:38 AM
cheap as!!!
:)

not up for a filter at the mo, but i know where to go when i am :)

thanks John :D

Phil
01-03-2007, 11:06 AM
just ordered one myself
Phil

casstony
01-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Those look like filters that have not met production criteria (ie. passbands too wide) and are being sold at a discount. Or am I reading the graphs wrong?

astronut
01-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Not to worry Tony. the O111 HB is a fairly wide band filter, but it's main operation is in the O111 line of the spectrum.
Here is a explanation from the supplier

"Precision Interference Filter for EBAY Astronomers that selectively transmits the Hydrogen beta and Oxygen III emission of Galaxies. Specifically produced for EBAY customers, this filter has had significant development to produce excellent transmission of the Oxygen lines at 496.9 nm, 500.4 nm, as well as the 486 Hydrogen, while attenuating most of the background light from other sources. This is a relatively wide pass band nebula filter. The filter is Mounted in a standard 48 mm eye piece ring. Specifications follow: Central Wavelength, To pass 494, and 486 to 500.4 nm with typical 90%, as well as > 50% (Typically 50% of 656.3nm; Size, 1.78 +0-.006 inches (45mm); mounted in 48mm eye piece ring. Thickness 2.1 mm. Filter supplied with actual spectral data."

JethroB76
01-03-2007, 07:01 PM
How do these OIII filters differ from the DGM OIII filters that Omega also make, which are priced at $85US/1.25" and $170US/2"?

Omaroo
13-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Today - I just received my two 1.25" O-III filters I ordered through Robs eBay site, which now add to another 2" I bought from Rob at Omega through astronut. Great international service I'll say. The TWO 1.2's landed at my door today for US$88 including shipping. Not bad. :)

I tried the 2", mounted at the the base of my 2" extension tube in the 8" Newt the other night (with John "astronut"), and was pleasantly greeted with a great contrasty view of the Eta Carinae, Turantula and Orion nebulae. It certainly made a huge difference to the dark lane areas - as advertised. By mounting it to the extension tube I can use the same filter for 2" and 1.25" EP's as usual by merely swapping the adapter above it.

I bought two of the 1.25" so that I can use both at the same time on the bino-newt that is in the works.

I guess that the other filters mentioned might be better in some way - but my human frailties and eyesight will probably prevent me from getting any better value from them. For the price, these are great.

Thanks John - a great pickup!

Phil
13-03-2007, 06:29 PM
my just turn up today lucky nothing wrong with it
Phil

Omaroo
13-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Lucky? Phil - just out of interest, were you expecting it not to work... or just not get to you because it was off ebay? :shrug:

Phil
13-03-2007, 09:43 PM
it turn up with no case.

Omaroo
13-03-2007, 10:21 PM
No - they come in a padded envelope and are individually wrapped in a padded pouch.

skies2clear
15-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi all,

which OIII filter did you order? I thought I saw 2 types advertised, HB and OIII Nebula and also the Filter 486, Hb and OIII Nebula II filter. They appear to have different transmission characteristics.

Any thoughts appreciated? I'm not sure which is better suited for visual astronomy,

Clear skies.

Omaroo
15-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I've ordered and received 2 x 1.25" and 1 x 2" "HB and OIII Nebula" filters. Total (landed) for the two 1.25's was US$88 and US$50 for the 2".

Cheers
Chris

skies2clear
15-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks Chris. Did you happen to notice what I said about the 2 filters types though? I might send them an email to clarify.

I tried to look up some of the other brand OIII filter transmission curves, but many don't seem to publish them on their websites unfortunately to compare.

Clear skies,
Nick

Erik Wilcox
20-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Those are some great deals. I had trouble understanding exactly what type of filters were being sold though. I'd like to see them make it more clear that it's an OIII, broadband, etc...

astronut
20-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi Erik,
:welcome: to our side of the world and to I.I.S.
We're just as friendly as the folk on C.N.'s:lol:
If you speak to Bob Johnson, he will give you a clearer understanding.
BTW I have the O111 2" and it works brilliantly.
Cheers, John.

iceman
20-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi Erik. Welcome to IIS! I used to admire a lot of your stuff on CN :)

ving
20-03-2007, 01:27 PM
you dont any more mike? his stuff gone down hill? :P
hehe

welcome aboard erik! :)
:hi:
enjoy ya stay!

iceman
20-03-2007, 01:33 PM
lol I didn't mean it to sound like that :)

I don't follow the equipment threads on CN anymore, so that's why it's *used* to :)

ving
20-03-2007, 02:04 PM
lol, just playing with you mike ;)

you missed a good talk last night at MAS :)
very interesting :)

mercedes_sl1970
20-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Just curious about what minimum size scope/bino these could be used with? Eg. 100mm BT45 binos or 80mm refractor?

Thanks

Andrew

Don Pensack
28-03-2007, 07:18 AM
This bandwidth is better described as a "UHC" filter. True "O-III" filters do not pass the H-Beta band at 486nm. That's fine, as a UHC filter is generally advantageous on most nebulae. On those nebulae for which a true O-III filter produces the best image (like the Veil, for example), a "real" O-III filter may be preferred.

But you can't beat that price--even for a UHC filter.

Omaroo
29-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Mechanically: These filters act like any other - they just screw into the base of the eyepiece you choose to use - or barlow - or extension tube using the standard thread.

Optically: I'm not sure that's an easy one to answer. The smallest aperture scope I've used these on is my 200mm f/5 reflector. Given that they should should only effectively block light from a specific part of the spectrum I can't see why they'd restrict it across the rest at all - making their use on smaller scopes a "darker" experience....

Anyone?

skies2clear
29-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Agree with Don here. I looked into this and also found these are not "true" OIII filters, and since I already have UHC and the DGM NPB filters, I decided not to get this. However you can't argue with the price, and I'm sure they do work very well,

Clear skies

Don Pensack
29-03-2007, 11:16 PM
As with any nebula filter, the bandwidth allowed through is narrow, i.e.the brightness of the "overall" image will be reduced 99%. That's less of a problem for a large scope than it is for a small scope.

Additionally, many small scope users tend to use them at higher powers, where the images are already darkened by magnification.
Keep the usage of such filters to 10X/inch or less (i.e.40X for a 4" scope) and the image will likely not be too dark.

These filters also have a different transmission at oblique angles than they do on axis. That means the nebula may be dimmed significantly if looked at off axis. If the nebula, just about the only thing still visible through these filters, disappears off axis, this is unlike the behavior of normal eyepieces where one can have one's head move around a bit and still see the image. Nebula filters require the head to be held much stiller. In practice, people don't have much of this problem with this wide a bandwidth (usually it's the line-band filters like a pure H-Beta), but to a newbie it can be disconcerting. When I explain to visitors about looking through my scope when I have a nebula filter in place, I explain this characteristic and no one has a problem with it. But people who have trouble holding their heads steady experience this more than others.
To avoid the problem:
--sit when viewing
--use low powers (larger exit pupils)
--adjust the eyecup up if it is adjustable.

But the nebulae themselves are dimmed only an inconsequential amount (0.1 magnitude or less), so there is no effective minimum size scope in which they can be used. A UHC filter will improve even the view of the Orion Nebula through a 50mm refractor.

mercedes_sl1970
30-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks, everyone. Guess I will just have to make the investment and give them a try.

Andrew