PDA

View Full Version here: : Burgess Optics/TMB Planetary EPs first light

chunkylad
10-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi All

Last night after work were the first clear skies here since recieving 5mm and 7mm BO/TMB Planetary series eyepieces from Frontier Optics. I have the 3.2mm on back order. My first and only target for the night was Saturn. The telescope was my 305mm Newt at f5. Atmospheric clarity was 10/10, seeing 7/10

Both eyepieces are of impressive size next to similar f/l GSO plossl and UO Ortho eyepieces. Both have twist up rubber eyecups for comfort; both of which I found most suitable wound up around 4mm.

Prior to using either new BO/TMB ep, I viewed Saturn using my 9mm UO Ortho, and 6mm GSO Plossl, to get a feel for a comparison

7mm: Wow. The first impression is the immersive feel the extra width of the afov (quoted @ 60 degrees) gives you. Contrast was on a par with the Ortho. The image was crisp and clean all the way from the edge to centre of the fov. This was way beyond my expectations. I didn't measure eye relief, but as mentioned, with the eyecup extended around 4mm, I found it very comfortable. There was no obvious flaring nor any stray light apparent. No false colour was noted.

5mm: The extra field of view makes a big difference in my dob mounted newt at this magnification (300X). Ditto the above comments for the image clarity and contrast. During moments of steady seeing, detail became sharp. Even the feathery "C" ring was visible, and the Cassini division was a crisp black ring.

To say I that am impressed is an understatement. To find this quality at this price IMHO represents great value for money. My toughest descision is going to be which three will I buy next?:lol:

Cheers

JethroB76
11-02-2007, 12:59 AM
Thanks for that Dave :thumbsup:, tis' helping to make some decisions for me. Any idea how long the 3 for 2 deal is on at Frontier Optics?

iceman
11-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Great report, I too love my 5mm.

chunkylad
11-02-2007, 02:59 PM
According to Daniel at Frontier,"It will be for as long as Burgess offers me the deal. I would expect another 4-6 weeks." That was from Feb 7.

I am wating for my 3.2mm to arrive early next week to make a decision on what other f/l I might consider purchasing.:D

Cheers

PeteMo
14-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the post Dave as I am seriously considering getting at least one of these lenses for myself. The 3 for 2 deal is very tempting. I'm thinking 9mm, 7mm and 5mm, all for $300!
cheers

chunkylad
14-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi PeteMo

IMHO, I think you would be very happy with the eps you mention. The 9mm is on my wish list too.

All the best:)

MarkN
15-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Well, I had the first night out with my three new arrivals - 4, 5 and 7 mm BO/TMB eps. Target: Saturn - clouds put a stop to further viewing.

Comparison with the 6 mm UO HD certainly didn't shame the "newies". Maybe...just maybe the UO had the edge in sharpness but for sheer ease of use with my middle-aged peepers, the BO/TMBs at this price are a steal.

I did experience some "blackout" but nothing I can't get adapt to.

Take a bow Burgess Optical, TMB and Daniel!

Mark.

PeteMo
15-02-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi Dave
I had a feeling the TMB's would be good judging on the reaction from folk on this forum. I hope the offer is still on in a few weeks time, otherwise I'll probably start with the 9mm.
Pete

chunkylad
15-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Mark

Did you try winding out/up the eyecup?

PeteMo: From what Daniel has said, the offer should last until early to mid March (I hope!:P )

Cheers

davidpretorius
15-02-2007, 12:40 PM
great report, I have the 4mm and love it in my 10mm

If you have a chance, whack it over at the core of 47tuc!!!

Yes it has that immersive feel.

Isdonisgood, you are welcome to come around and check the 4mm any time

chunkylad
15-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks David

Unfortunately, by the time I get home from work, 47 Tuc is no longer visible, and Omega Centauri is still hidden in the NE. I'm ordering the 9mm as well as the 4mm, and I can't wait to see either of these great globulars through one of these eyepieces.

Cheers

Starkler
15-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I had trouble with blackout also until I discovered the "sweet spot" with the eyecup about 5mm from the bottom.

MarkN
15-02-2007, 04:30 PM
chunkylad

Yep, that was the first thing I did. It should be said that this can occur in any EP until one finds the "sweet spot" as Starkler says. Varies from person to person and umm... age does come into it as well.

Again, anyone looking for planetary EPs will kick themselves later if they miss out on this deal. $103 each (delivered). Still can't believe it!

Mark.

chunkylad
15-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Sweet deal!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've ordered three more to complete my planetary ep collection. Too good to miss. I was so surprised when I actually looked through these eps. I've a couple of others in my collection which were touted as 'very good' at f5, and believe me, these Burgess/TMBs leave 'em for dead.

All the best

JethroB76
15-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Cheers Dave, I'll have to take you up on these offers some time! You're not in the market for another TMB are you? I might be looking to buy 2 and if I could find someone for the 3rd...

PS Dave you sure have scaled down, from a 10"er to a 10mm'er:eyepop:

netwolf
15-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Wow sounds like thes EP's are living up to expectation.

You would need 3 people together to get the most of it. I would not mind being a part of that. 200$ each for 2 EP's a bargain. But I need to sell my dob first. Not sure which two would be best for the LX90.

Regards

davidpretorius
15-02-2007, 11:21 PM
are guys still able to get them direct out of america??

mike , geoff and i bought the 3 for 2 straight from the states, I am sure it was around $100 each

netwolf
16-02-2007, 12:19 AM
Dave Frontier Optics in Sydney are doing the same deal here in Australia.

MarkN
16-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Netwolf:

"Not sure which two would be best for the LX90".

For an SCT I would be wary of these oculars. To do with the characteristic SCT long focal length. They will give more X than the scope will handle under all but the best skies. Fantastic with your 10" though!

Mark.

casstony
16-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Fahim, I'd second what Mark said. Unless you have very stable skies you'll get little use from short focal length eyepieces in a 2000mm focal length scope. You can always barlow for rare occasions. There are loads of accessories you can buy for SCT's; you could make a list and prioritise it. (2" sct dielectric diagonal $95, binoviewers work well with sct's ~$300, wide field eyepieces at your most used magnifications, imaging gear?) If you do hang heavy stuff on the back you'll need some balancing weight at the front or maybe a metal dew shield.

chunkylad
16-02-2007, 01:56 PM
3.2mm BO/TMB Planetary ep First Light

I set up my gear and straight after work to let my 'scope cool, with only around 20% cloud cover. Had a shower etc, and by the time I got outside, there was 95% cloud cover:( . Too typical!!!

Went back inside to wait for a break in the clouds. As I was almost ready to pack it in, a hole appeared in the clouds around Crux. :D

In the 3.2mm, Alpha Crucis resolved beautifully into it's two main components. The wide fov makes high power work easy compared to my 4mm GSO plossl (which looks like a peephole by comparison). The image was sharp from the edge of fov, well, as sharp as poor-to-average seeing would allow. Crux is fairly low in the sky at this latitude, at this time of year. No false colour was noted.

Cheers