PDA

View Full Version here: : Windows 7 updating

Lee
13-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Hi all.....
I'm recommissioning my long neglected observatory.... I have a PC inside, running Win 7, and to my delight (and a little surprise) it fired up without a hitch after a 4 year hiatus.
I haven't let it connect online as yet, I'm a little hesitant about the expected update barrage I'm expecting....

I ask these questions mainly as I'm a dyed in the wool mac user, and only use windows in the backyard.

So when I give it access (which I do want, as I tend to surf the web while imaging) what should I expect? With macos I'd expect a combo update to bring that OS version up to its latest version.
Should this happen?
I'm in no hurry to update the Win version until critical software commands me to, but while everything is working, I tend to be a rather slow update adopter.

Thanks in advance.... Lee

h0ughy
13-08-2018, 08:31 PM
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3049996/windows-pcs/blocking-windows-10-with-never10.html probably have a read of this, though windows 10 works with what i have which includes your era gear LOL

Lee
13-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Thanks - will windows updater (that annoying popup that hangs every shutdown) only present updates for Win 7?

h0ughy
13-08-2018, 08:58 PM
yes the others get blocked, but eventually it will make some thing harder

Lee
13-08-2018, 09:03 PM
I suspect it would be non-astro stuff causing the most probs, like browsers..... but for now I'd just like to get everything working without the hassles of chasing down new drivers etc.....

ZeroID
14-08-2018, 12:15 PM
I'm still on Win 7 for the Ob PC and my main 'Office PC'. I keep them both updated and haven't had any compatibility problems so far. You will probably go through 4 or 5 update iterations when you go online first time so do it in some off time, ie when you are not expecting to need the PC straight away. The Ob PC is kept pretty bare software wise, just what is needed and no more. The Office PC has just about everything and the kitchen sink on it.
Update your Antivirus or turn on Windows Defender, seems to work as well as anything else.

Merlin66
14-08-2018, 12:24 PM
I still use a Win7 laptop in the observatory, no issues no drama.
Should work OK for you.

redbeard
14-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Stick with Win7! :thumbsup:

Lee
14-08-2018, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys..... My main software is SG Pro, and the developers promise Win7 support through to Jan 2020. At that point I'll decide whether I need to upgrade anything.....

Lee
18-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Here we go here we go here we go..... !

RAJAH235
18-08-2018, 08:36 PM
Hi Lee,
This may help or not.
I only install the Security updates & have turned off Auto Updates.
I only do manual updates.
I take the recommended suggestions from...
> https://www.askwoody.com/forums/topic/2000003-ongoing-list-of-group-b-monthly-updates-for-win7-and-8-1/
as I am in Group B.
That page has a heap of good info on how & what to turn off & which ones to install via the live links.

HTH.

I have never seen anything like your screen shot & all those updates.

I do not install any the "Monthly Rollups or Reviews....."
Stay away from them.

Lee
19-08-2018, 08:01 AM
Thanks Rajah.... it was crazy, took an hour, and then needed a couple more..... but all seems good now. I'll take a look at that link.....