PDA

View Full Version here: : The cube.

xelasnave
01-04-2018, 04:49 PM
In an effort to build something very simple I came up with "the cube".
Just 6 sheets of form ply each 4 x 4 with a little framework.
The paint job is to make it less obvious from the street.
It will take a flat lid which I have yet to weather proof and hinge.
I intend to line it to help insulation qualities and install two solar exhaust fans.
The scope in the photo is an eight inch which fits in the position shown but would need a little more roof height if it sat in home position.
I have thought of a cardboard dome layered up in fibre glass but I have yet to design how it would fit with the door...but a cardboard dome would be very simple and I have the glass matt from boating days.
Everything can disassemble into 4 x4 sections to take bush one day.
I have not used it yet but I think it will work.

I will fit something to hold the lap top and maybe a bits and pieces box.

Here in Sydney it will be a big help given getting polar align is inhibited by the fact I cant see csp and now I can get it better without a new set up each night which really has not worked well at all.
However if you want a cheap observatory I think this approach could be managed by anyone as the sides come pre cut.
Alex

Lognic04
01-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Wow great idea Alex!!! This would make AP a whole lot easier!! Would it be rain proof?

xelasnave
01-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Thank you Logan.

When it is finished it will be absolutely weather proof.

It will probably float☺

For the present whilst I work out a roof I will throw a tarp over it all which one could do on a permanent basis really.

My goal is to make it remote and take it up North when I move up there again.

I will set it up about 400 meters from the house up there on a nice little hill top and control it from the house.

I have most of it worked out I just need a couple of windscreen wipper motors and some counter weights for the roof (lid).
I want to make it simple yet functional so others may make use of the idea.

But for now it allows me to set up and leave everything which will be a big step forward.

Because I am old and near cripple set up is a big deal for me so hopefully I will be able to devote my energy to captures rather than set up.
The 8 inch seems to fit for the sky I can see but if not the 80 mm or the future 100 mm will be perfect...
Thanks again.

Alex

Lognic04
01-04-2018, 06:13 PM
:thumbsup:

xelasnave
09-04-2018, 04:58 PM
I have worked out the roof.
It will open like a book with a curtain at the rear to hide the street light.
The ridge cap is held together with fiber glass and with be attached to one "door" or "page".
The gap at the front (and back will be covered but double as a vent.
Two computer fans hooked to the solar panel hopefully will keep it cool on hot days.
Alex

xelasnave
10-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Screwed down the hinges, I put them in place with contact cement to make sure as there were three a side that they lined up well.
Sanded the ridge cap and painted it so all going well.
As I said I will have a curtain at the back to shield the street light and a little from houses across the street. But as you can see its well treed here which shields a great deal of house light.
Next have to fit a counter weight arm so the "pages" can be openned with a motor.
Not sure what to use for motors yet.
Alex

leon
10-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Well Alex that is different, but very workable i expect, good on ya mate, for a great effort.
Just one thing is it fixed at the floor level somehow so the wind wont catch it ?

Leon

Baza
10-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Have you considered a small 4*4 winch, electric in & out, 12 volt?
under $150 on ebay and no need to counterweight the roof.

xelasnave
10-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Not fixed Leon maybe later but I am in a little valley and its rare to get more than a breeze.

Alex

xelasnave
10-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Yes in fact I nearly went to Super Cheap Auto who had one at $150 last Sunday.
Its a little over kill but at least the motor is already geared and has controls...I will probably go that way...I had one for my roll away observatory years ago but lost it when my boat sank not that the observatory was on the boat but the winch was. ..

Working on the counter weight or lever set up now and have figured out a very simple set up which will take motors later.

Alex

SimmoW
11-04-2018, 06:29 AM
Nice different setup Alex, watching closely as I'm about to do mine soon. Good idea 're the winch!

xelasnave
11-04-2018, 06:56 AM
Thank you Simon.
A tip I meant to include earlier re fiber glass.
When you use fiber glass matt and resin you get a rippled surface which takes ages to sand if you require a smooth surface.
(I used fiber glass to join the two pieces of ply to make the ridge cap)
So what you do is lay your matt and resin and the cover with nice paper..I use the garden variety a4.
Gently press the paper onto the still uncured (wet) resin so it becomes impregnated with the resin...you end up with a nice flat finish ...make sure the paper is soaked...but once impregnated it aint paper no more☺
I make many things in cardboard and paper and then add resin to make them plastic...quik easy and efficient.
Alex

xelasnave
11-04-2018, 07:27 AM
A con for this approach is that you may not get objects close to the horizon.
That is of no concern here as I have limited sky but probably set up your gear and put up stakes and string to see how restricted it may be.
Also for me I find my reflector scopes prefer being close to vertical as balance is easier.
Although more complex a size of 5 x 5 x 4 may be a little better.
I can move ok in this cube but an extra foot would be handy.
Alex

baileys2611
17-04-2018, 04:01 PM
I noticed you mentioned fans connected to a solar cell. I use a couple of these on my obs - they work day and night and need no maintenance from me :)

https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/solar-vent-stainless-steel-with-battery-190mm-rwb1737/dp/20342

You can also get them with solar cells separated from the extractor fan.

Regulus
17-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Cool idea Alex, and looks good.
Thinking if the roof folds back right with a 'flop out' support that rests on the side wall, you have you laptop table.
You could even mount a series of ep holders on the underside that makes them available when open to load you eps into.
Look forward to it's first light report.

Trev

xelasnave
17-04-2018, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the link.
I probably will use some large computer fans cause they are cheap...and just run them off the battery which is charged by the solar panel as thr draw should let them run non stop but a shut off for night time would be good in the circuit...but my regulator stops things if too much draw.
I see other talking about dehumidifiers so maybe I should rethink this aspect and run one on a timer off mains seeing its in Sydney and I get fancy grid electricity.
In the bush it may not be more than computer fans.
Thanks again I may have a look at what you suggest at a boat shop.
Alex

xelasnave
17-04-2018, 09:35 PM
Thanks Trev.
Your ideas are great I had not thought along those lines.
Alex

bojan
18-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Very nice!

xelasnave
18-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Thanks Bojan.
This is what I was suggesting you try while getting your dome completed.
Bunnings had the 4 x 4 so that some square pine 50 mm approx and by using those self drilling hex bolts it went pretty quick.
The lid took a little time but that is because I made the pier a little to tall as the lid was going to be just one 4 x 4 sheet.
The door is simple enough as well.
Painting as always is a pain although the painted pre-assembled panels drew a favourable comment from my neighbour who said "I really like your art work"...I had to tell him it was just cammmo and panels for an observatory box however.
Alex

xelasnave
24-04-2018, 08:23 AM
I picked up two nice little fans yesterday and I am very happy to find the little solar panels I took from the fish pond runs it nicely.
It has me thinking I may hook the fan in the f5 eight inch which is set up in the cube into the circuit so it can lose a little heat during the day.
I pulled a peltie device from a cooler that was going to the tip and will test it to see if I can get any cooling using a small panel...it draws probably 40 watts but maybe can help with a much lesser current...its such a nice unit I have to work it in someplace☺
Alex

xelasnave
26-04-2018, 09:43 AM
I have set up a test with the peltie and the fan with very small panels an only after 30 minutes it seems the peltie works nothwithstanding the low amps...not all the way but it could be handy to cool something a little in the cube and I am thinking to fit it on the steel pier section to help draw heat out of the pier.
Strangley I lay bottles of ice on the patio at dusk and even taht reduces its temp to better than it was...
Alex

xelasnave
14-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Update.
Nothing really but now I have used this little box both with the 80 mm and the 8 inch f5 reflector.
Its snug but firstly which was not something that worried me it keeps you warm and with the bigger scope it was not bothered by wind.
To day I set the battery inside with a regulator and linked to the solar panel on the deck.
I was going to put it on the lid but its really old and may get a new panel so fit a new one later.
Fitted a little seat allowing me to sit behind the scope acccess the camera and the finder scope.
I have yet to fit the computer fans for cooling but I have paired each fan with its own little panel just need to fit them.
The lid opens and rest on the hinges at about 30 degrees I have to fit a chain and a curtain at one end maybe both if the chain is high enough...
But so far working well.
Very happy with the little seat both the way I made it is at the perfect hight between crook legs and getting at the goods...I can lift up using the sides so getting up is easy now.
Alex

xelasnave
14-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Worked out a swing box for the lap top to both store the thing but to have it on the openned inside of the lid so it has room either side for stuff openned the inside of the lid is like a big draghtsmans desk...worked out details earlier but wait a bit ...maybe a cardboard model in place to visualise better...but it think what I "see" should work well.
...and I need to fit an inverter for the lappy...rather than a 240 lead from the mains...cause finally up North it will have to be 12 volt ...and if you need 240 plug it into the inverter.
The cube would make a great kit for a diy person..
Putting it together with screws you turn by hand...take down for weekends or longer...it should set up rather easy with more thought to that...when it is finished works I will address that...but it was always at the back of my mind...even the seat pulls out...need fancy pull apart hinges for the lid and it becomes very very transportable.

Alex

Lognic04
14-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Alex i would definitely be interested in a mount+cube DIY kit ;)

xelasnave
14-05-2018, 09:17 PM
Better still Logan you could market them ...when it all works I will tell you what works the cut order for Bunnings etc and you can start a business and hopefully fund your goals and dreams...
I did look at a small 4wd type winch but at the moment manual is best because its fast but $150 gets the motor etc even cabling...
Alex

Lognic04
14-05-2018, 09:24 PM
:

:2thumbs:

ChrisV
15-05-2018, 12:06 AM
It's looking real good Alex. Might be a good fit for my backyard ...

xelasnave
15-05-2018, 09:37 AM
May I suggest that you contact the distributor Logan☺.
As I said you give Bunnings the cut order and screw it together.
Although it small it works.
The key is the sjortest pier you can get away with.
I cant park the scope in home position and that os not a problem for me...but a shorter pier would probably allow it to park North South.
Probably what really works for me is being able to sit as soon as I reach where I am going and being able to drag myself up..and with the low pier we all fit nicely.
Alex

Lognic04
15-05-2018, 10:49 AM
How much would this cost do you think?

xelasnave
15-05-2018, 12:59 PM
I have not kept tabs but you need 3 sheets of ply 8 x 4 ft ( say $240? depends what you can buy a sheet for but it can be found cheap if you look around..or if you know a builder☺) cut to 4x4 and one of those cut to get a two foot section a six inch section and a one and half foot section ( the door etc) and the roof you cut to have two halves two ft each..about 25 ft of 1.5 inch square pine or 2 x 1.5 inch for framing (? per ft) which only goes in corners and door framing, one piece 4 inch by 4 ft for the tilt in the roof (? per ft) cut each piece on the diagonal and you have the roof..and say 100 hex bolts 8 hinges ($70 approx) and perhaps use iron for the ridge cap ($10?) rather than fiber glass ply bits to make it simpler.
Paint probably $70. But I used spray cans to do the cammo...but you should be able to round up some old paint..sealing is the priority.
I made the pier out of cement but had the mount attachement section already.
I used wood glue but in retrospect I would use contact cement for ease of assembly ...you frame the panels and screw most of the frames onto the panels ..contact probably wont do much other than hold stuff in place so you can screw it together.
I used drill tipped hex screws because they are fast..no drilling bang in in an instant with a cordless driver.
The key is to watch out for cheap ply...its only formwork type stuff although mine was rather pretty veneer...
Alex

Lognic04
15-05-2018, 02:12 PM
I see, so not as cheap as i thought! :P

xelasnave
15-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Cheaper than a dome.
Check out cheap form ply in Melbourne via goggle.
Alex

Lognic04
15-05-2018, 04:54 PM
An 8x4 at bunnings is 40 bucks so not too bad :) Is that the whole guide BTW?

xelasnave
15-05-2018, 06:44 PM
Pretty well if you are serious may I suggest to build one in balsa but trying to keep in mind that you are doing the big one..
Two panels put on a frame, these face each other and you bolt on the back panel and floor which needs a hole for the pier..a big hole is best so you can move the cube on and off.
The rear panel will need frame at top and bottom.
The front is a two ft panel a door 18 inches ans a 6 inch panel fastened at the corner.
Frame the door and the other panels.
I could do a movie maybe or at least some close ups for you tomorrow if I have time.
Alex

Lognic04
15-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Thanks Alex. I am starting to build the mental picture :) I will try save up for this! I think that an obsy (like structure) would be a great investment though - go from setting up once a month to whenever its clear! :D

xelasnave
16-05-2018, 07:52 AM
I am unable to make a movie for you or the folks out there so I will leave it to you to make one when you build yours.
Alex

ChrisV
16-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Alex, you have 4 tube rings holding that new. Do you reckon that helps stability of the OTA? Thanks Chris

xelasnave
16-05-2018, 02:36 PM
I added the extra rings in the belief that it would reduce flexture if there was any...on the top all the rings are connected by a section of box alluminium bolted to each ring to add to the rigidity.

One day I plan to add sections of glassed in ply on the inside adding strength to regions around the focuser, the mount plate and connecting to a ply glassed in ply ring at section where the primary sits...
Also it is to gain baffles on the inside which will add to strength.
Its over kill but thats what I do.

Alex

xelasnave
16-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Does it help?
I dont know but it cant hurt.
Alex

ChrisV
16-05-2018, 03:43 PM
It certainly looks sturdy.

I've got a spot in the yard that's a bit sky restricted to try the cube, just have to figure out how to make a pier. I'm sick of my wobbly wooden deck. Even the cat sends my mount into a frenzy!

Lognic04
16-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Alex i made a sketch of the cube, i think when i get the money i will be able to make it! :D

xelasnave
16-05-2018, 05:39 PM
You can make something using mainly cement.
I made a mold from thin ply and put in a fair bit of steel and mesh...but if you use the top of your tripod unbolted from the legs you can pour the cement and stick in some brackets to bolt the top of the tripod and mount.
Having your mount set up you can cover it easier than making a cube...any ways you will think of something.
Alex

xelasnave
16-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Of course you can do it ..it is very simple really. And when you know the stuff you need and put the story around folk sometime come forward..."well I have a sheet of ply you could have" well thats one down.

And honestly if you keep your eyes open stuff comes along. ..I have seen materials on Council clean ups that you build many.
Those ancient bed frames for example can replace the pine frame work...you may find other timber a bit at a time.
But you probably need to do your pier...you could even make the mold out of cardboard just paint it to keep the moisture of the cement away until it sets.
Work out how short you need a pier and the job wont seem as big☺and you only need a pier so dont worry about a cement surround that can come later...probably the best thing is to get a stable pier ready for when you will be doing narrow band as the dark site will be less important.
Alex

xelasnave
16-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Funny...
I just recalled the first pier I made ..it was a plastic bucket for the mold and I cast the brackets in cement with a bit of wire in there for strength...and that was for my lxd 55 Meade 150 mm reflector and its goto mount...did it the way I suggested..it only has to be tall enough so the scope clears the ground...its not as though you are observing thru the scope ...
I made the molds for the mount brackets (3)out of cardboard and didnt even paint them to water proof them but it turned out great...ots still up in the bush somewhere.
Alex

xelasnave
16-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Cut the bottom out of the bucket and turned it up with small end up and open.
Made cardboard molds with sticky tape and a corn flake box ..made little cardboard cylinders where the bolt would take the end of the tripod with out legs...ran some wire so some stuck out and gently packed each bracket with concrete and the while wet filled the bucket and stuck the brackets in...I recall I used a template ti make sure they were in position.

Hope that helps...not tall enough use two buckets and make the piet barrel like...form follows function but can provide interesting results.
Alex

xelasnave
06-07-2018, 12:57 AM
I little step forward I put up a chain to hold up the roof as shielding and a double layer black curtain to cut out the street light.
I am running the 80mm now and cutting out that street light gets the cube reasonably dark..I am going to paint insude black maybe red and cover the timber.
May help a little.
Alex

xelasnave
16-05-2019, 09:26 PM
It needs a repaint already.
However it has worked rather well even though I have not motorised the roof.
Alex

sharpiel
17-05-2019, 08:42 PM
You've had an observatory for almost 12 months. How I envy you, you lucky sod.

xelasnave
17-05-2019, 11:02 PM
True my accumulation of wonders must be a matter that folk could chose to envy. That is not their purpose.

But that is unfortunate.

First moral comment...envy should not be in your mix..it is a negative and potentially destructive emotion..actually there are few emotions that can be trusted...best to avoid them all.
But its ok to cry when happy or laugh when sad.
But the message should be I an old man with gummy legs and only given the intelect of a lower level ape. If I can manage to get it together then others should have less expenditure of resourses to achieve a similar result.

However I can see that we need an even simpler unit that will deliver an observatory...I will work upon a design that is better, cheaper and more easily constructed.

OK I am thinking a big tarp with four bricks to hold it down.

I am working on a design with a small dome..only three foot high and wide to take an 80 mm so hopefully I will build it and offer folk another way to get where they may like to be.
Anything..anything at all..just ask as I am bound tand must deliver..I am programed to help humans...why else would I be sent to this planet if not to help ..it seems that is my prime directive...
Alex