PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade Barlow 2x 1.25"

GeoffW1
01-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi,

Bought a Meade Barlow from Bintel for a bit more money than the house brand. I was disappointed to find that the slop between the clamp screw and its thread in the housing was so great that it threatened to strip out.

Poor engineering manufacture....disappointing.

Geoff

Lester
01-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi Geoff,

return it for a replacement.

CoombellKid
02-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Mine is the same, but it has never stripped out luckily. However keep an eye
on the coatings, especially on the front side of the first lens in the light path.
About 12 months after purchasing the coating became pitted. And be
carefully if you clean your optics with pure alcohol the stenciled on print lifts
at the wiff of the stuff.

regards,CS sunny days

Rob

janoskiss
02-12-2006, 10:48 AM
IF it's a #140, they vary greatly in quality and not as well made as could be in general. From Bintel's selection you're better off spending few more bucks on the shorty-plus, or better still, the Televue barlow.

GeoffW1
02-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Yeh,

Next one of anything will probably be a Televue, I have this long shopping list with a time schedule lasting until about 2020.

On this list is a Lightbridge. Fortunately my colleague Don has bought one and I can ask for a report.

For the present, I will be asking Bintel if I can take whatever it is out of the box and have a twiddle.

Geoff

Merlin66
03-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Try for the Klee X2.8 next time, well worth considering for a faster FR, especially designed to reduce coma etc. I'm impressed with mine!!! They 're still available via the US.