PDA

View Full Version here: : Baader Hyperion Zoom, the bad and then the good...

happycamper
31-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Not sure if this belongs in this forum but what the heck, i just feel like spreading some good vibes...

'Bought a Baader Hyperion Zoom MK-III from the folk at Andrews Communications a few weeks ago for my travel kit. Due to all of the cloudy weekends we've been having, I didn't get to try it out until a few days ago.

'Turns out the eyepiece had some fairly major "gunk" uniformly deposited in little islands all over the inside of the lens groups. I couldn't believe how much stuff there was!

A quick call to Andrews' and they were really happy to swap it for another one. I brought my travel kit there to check a new one on the spot with my setup, and the first new one we opened was just fine.

Yes, i know you all wanted more drama (!) but there it is. A good news story about a shop and - eventually - an eyepiece :)

John

ps: I'm in no way affiliated with Andrews Communications - just a happy shopper/camper.

AG Hybrid
03-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Good to hear mate. Andrews are a 5 min drive from me. I get what I can from them. RE that Hyperion Zoom Mk3. I have one as well and its an excellent performer. Really not far behind my Pentax or Televue eyepieces at a very reasonable price.

sil
03-11-2016, 03:56 PM
You could have working in looing at mars and seeing a flash trailing a green mist into the story :)

I love the Hyperion Zoom. Such a good all rounder and no fumbling in the dark for eyepieces and caps.

happycamper
06-11-2016, 11:27 PM
I'm certainly hoping it's as you say it is Adrian, and from the many accounts I've read, I'm sure you're right. I bought it specifically to travel with over Christmas with my little grab 'n go.

And yes, Sil, I guess i could have added the green flash, but then ..."noone would have believed..."

John

AEAJR
06-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Have you tried your new zoom? How about a first light report?

happycamper
07-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Hi Ed,

My actual first-light report was daytime at Andrews' Shop, and the report was "no gunk" :lol:

I might just do that first-light report tho'.

I have two refractors (well 3 but I'm about to put the middle-sized one up for sale as part of my ruthless astronomy clean-out). The Hyperion Zoom was for my little travel setup (WO ZS80FD plus zoom plus 3x barlow plus Panoptic 27), so that would be the kit for the report. However, i'm now wondering also about my ZS80FD and might take a couple of known-quantity eyepieces on my first holiday with it to see how the telescope stacks up too. I also have a bigger higher-end 130mm APO which would be the real test of this eyepiece, but that might have to wait until next year... which isn't long is it?

cheers
John