PDA

View Full Version here: : New Netgear Adapter for my Desktop

leon
11-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Hi Guys, I know I have been annoying you all with my computer problems, to which i say a sincere thanks for helping me fix it. :)

Now because i had to do a PC refresh with the original Disc it also wiped the software for my Netgear Adapter which i use on the Desk Top, but i have lost the disc for this one.

So would you think a new (Netgear N 300 USB Adapter WNA3100) would do the trick or maybe something else, you think. :shrug:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Leon :thumbsup:

silv
11-10-2016, 09:06 PM
Such drivers and additional software are available on the manufacturers' websites.
The exact model name is required.
Then download the package.
Then double click to launch the install routine.

:)

leon
11-10-2016, 10:17 PM
But that is the problem Annette I cant access the internet unless i have an adapter for my desktop.

I need to load that up first and then it will pick up our Telstra WIFI, we don't use cable at all, as we travel around the Country most of the time.

Leon

OICURMT
12-10-2016, 12:08 AM
You must be using a phone or tablet to post here...

1) download the driver onto your phone or tablet
2) plug your phone into your desktop via a USB cable (Android or Windows) or lighting port (Apple)
3) windows will ask what you want to do, open the device to view the files in Windows explorer.
4) Go to the folder with the driver and copy it to your desktop
5) install the driver

noeyedeer
12-10-2016, 12:09 AM
hi Leon, least it's good news kinda about the computer. download the driver for the adapter on your phone, and copy it across to the PC then install it? and you should be right to go.

matt

ya beat me too it :)

leon
12-10-2016, 08:09 AM
No Guys I am on an old XP Laptop that also requires a Adapter and works quite fine. ;)
And I don't have a IPhone and /or a IPad. :)
Yea I know, I am really lacking in technology but i am happy with the arrangement and it works for me. :thumbsup:
So all i need is a Adapter for my now fixed Desk Top, so which is best please. :shrug:

sil
12-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Best? No idea. But Netgear have been around for ever and are reliable, Its cheap and should work. Once you can download the drivers for you current one then you can try both and decide for your self whats best. You are of course keeping all these driver installers safe on a usb stick for next time you need them right? A dab from a hot glue gun and the usb drive is safely stored inside your computer case so it doesnt get lost.

leon
12-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Annette I am usually very good at keeping the discs that comes with any new installation, however on this occasion i did misplace the one for the adapter.
Never mind a new one will probably be a good thing, and as you said they are not that expensive.

Thank You.

leon

sil
12-10-2016, 02:21 PM
lol, not annette :) sil not silv. need a monitor upgrade? :)

noeyedeer
12-10-2016, 02:43 PM
sorry Leon, I misread your question. yeah the netgear should be fine, if the n600 is only a few dollars more get that as you'll get increased Wi-Fi range, just depends on where the desktop is, and how far from the router it is.
tp-link aren't too bad either, they might be $10 dollars cheaper ...but I would go netgear
matt

leon
12-10-2016, 08:29 PM
Bugger, sorry Sil, obviously I was off with the pixies. :rolleyes:

Thanks Matt, the PC is only about 1 meter from the Router so i really doesn't have to travel to far, so something moderate will serve the purpose.

silv
12-10-2016, 08:50 PM
so you're typing on a laptop which has internet access?

then, on your laptop, you can open the website of the manufacturer of the wifi-stick in your PC...
and download the drivers for Windows 8.1 <--- your PC operating system.

then save the file(s) on a USB stick, go to you PC, stick in the USB stick and double click the setup installation file.

UNLESS: the Wifi stick in your PC stopped working hardware wise (power outages with USB device.. might be!)

so maybe first test the WiFi stick in your laptop?
Just plug it in and wait for Windows XP to announce "new hardware found!".
Then you'll know the stick works.
Don't go through with the installation on your laptop, though.
Might lead to trouble and you don't need it in the laptop, anyway.

You can then put it back into your PC.
And download the driver from your laptop etc etc. see above.

silv
12-10-2016, 08:55 PM
I mean - you don't NEED a new WiFi stick just because you misplaced the install CD.
It's all available on the web, you know.
And you got access to the web via laptop.

So all you'd need is a USB stick to save the files on and carry them across to your PC to get them installed.

Just make sure you get the model name absolutely right.
And your desired operating system: Win8.1

leon
12-10-2016, 09:52 PM
OK, well that sounds like a plan, will give that a try, thank you.

Leon

White Rabbit
13-10-2016, 01:58 PM
I'm assuming you are on your phone and it has internet.
Turn hotspot on on phone and plug it into your computer. The computer will use your phone to access the internet to here https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNA3100.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organi c
download the driver disconect your phone from the computer, connect to your wirless router.

Done.

leon
13-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Thank you for your suggestion, however it is all done and working great i did what was suggested and loaded it on a USB drive and went from there.

And for having a phone with internet, na i don't think so, :lol: I do not have any of that stuff, and i am fine with that, not interested actually, but thank you for your suggestion.:thumbsup: