PDA

View Full Version here: : Serial-USB Controller D Driver

gaseous
27-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Hi all,

trying to connect my laptop with Stellarium to my scope, but my serial to usb connector appears to be missing its driver/s and won't connect. Any clue as to the best site to download said drivers? Am I a tightwad for not wanting to shell out $30 on a driver installer, or is that the cost of doing business these days? Thanks a lot.

jwoody
27-08-2016, 09:10 PM
What cable are you using? Prolific or FTDI chip?
What is Driver installer? If it is one of those bits of software you get and it keeps all your drivers up to date, don't spend money on it! A waste IMHO

Jeremy

gaseous
27-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks Jeremy. No idea what brand of cable, but I found some free stuff that seems to have done the trick. Yeah those driver updater programs are a trick for the unwary. Cheers.

ChrisV
27-08-2016, 11:17 PM
And use StellariumScope
http://welshdragoncomputing.ca/x/index.php/home/stellariumscope/about-stellariumscope

A nice interface from ascom to Stellarium. It lets you re-align to objects when they a bit off-target. Its a fiddle at first, but you gotten over the fiddle of drivers for USB-serial - so easy.

Steve Pattie
28-08-2016, 09:29 AM
What was your source for the download that solved your problem. I too am looking at a driver for mine as well.

ChrisV
28-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Maybe others might know better. IFirst had an old one. Had to backdate to an older driver. Then got a new one from mwave that worked with the driver windows 10.

Tell us all know what chip and model it is. And you're operating system. Someone will know.

edit:
If you have the pl2303 chip this website is good for chip compatibility with different windows versions and what drivers are needed
http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41

gaseous
28-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Hi Steve, my device is now noted as "Prolific", and the driver files are from Prolific Technology. I have a feeling I might have got them off download.cnet, but I could be wrong. If you want to PM me your email address, I can email you the files that worked for me.

gaseous
28-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Thanks Chris, yeah it was a bit weird last night - the scope icon crosshairs on Stellarium would slew right to an object, wait for a second, then slew about 2 inches down the screen and stay there. Hopefully StellariumScope will fix this issue.