PDA

View Full Version here: : university optics konig 32mm 1.25

Thedtn
14-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Hi guys just wondering if the univesity optics 32mm konig ii 1.25 is a good low power choice for a f5 dob i enjoy the low power views through a generic plossl 20mm but would like a slightly larger afov and i have read that they have field stop that is larger than 27mm due to internal design anyone used one before? Optical quality?

janoskiss
15-06-2016, 01:37 AM
The UO Konig is not well suited to an f/5 Dob.

The least expensive solution I'd recommend is a 32mm GSO Plossl. It's a 1.25" EP with maximal field stop for a 1.25" (except for very few marginal exceptions - I mention one below) and costs only around $AU50. The 25mm is also good - will have proportionally smaller AFOV but more even illumination. It's perhaps the best <~$AU50 wide AFOV EP you can get.

For an f/5 Dob it gets tricky if you want more AFOV. Firstly, you'll want a 2" EP. Secondly, you'll want to stay away from budget EPs because they will not cut the mustard in an f/5 Newt. Second hand TeleVue Panoptic 27mm would be one of the best bang-per-buck widefield EPs for your scope. I had one for a couple of years or so and it was a very nice EP. But anything cheaper than that with the same AFOV is not worth the bother imho.

I myself am not keen on 2" EPs though (after having owned many). This is totally a matter of my own personal preferences after 10+ years of observing. It's purely the bulk and pocketability and me being lazy to swap out adapters.

I have a 35mm Ultrascopic and a 25mm Antares Elite as my wide AFOVs. The 35mm is something special: the widest AFOV EP you can get in the 1.25" format. Wider than the barrel size would normally allow because the field stop is past the barrel. Another fantastic option if you want to stick with 1.25" EPs is the 24mm Panoptic. But it's a bit of a crown jewel of the pano range so even used it's not cheap. You'll get a 27mm pano for less. There are other options these days that I have never looked through but are strongly recommended by others, e.g. ES 24mm 68-deg (Panoptic clone?), Hyperion 24mm...

janoskiss
15-06-2016, 02:00 AM
Just to clarify: don't take my word for the Konig's performance because my memory is a bit hazy. I believe I looked through one at one star party long ago (as well as looking through many other EPs and scopes on the same night).

Thedtn
15-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your reply,
I thought I would ask around for some more info I pulled the trigger on one so will let people know in a few weeks when it arrives, I saw a comment from a cloudy nights user called bill p who said it out performed anything else he used in that focal length in a f4.7 10" dob and that he was got a tfov of 1.7deg (from 2007) so it will be interesting

janoskiss
15-06-2016, 04:22 PM
By all accounts it's a great EP even if not suited to your scope. You should be able to sell it for what you paid for it if it doesn't suit, so no harm in trying it out. ;) Curious to read about your findings.

It's a shame UO is not what it used to be. I see they still use a picture of the 32mm Konig on their EP page as decorative/promotional bit of graphic but, with the exception of the HD ortho range, all their EPs seem to be low-end Chinese stuff these days with OTT marketing hype in their descriptions. I believe UO is the same company it used to be in name only.

dannat
17-06-2016, 11:47 AM
steve's right about the konig, the edges aren't great at f5 -even just off the niddle the view deteriorates quickly
other option to look out for is a 2" plossl type -smaller fov just much tidier image