PDA

View Full Version here: : AZ-EQ5 EQMod/EQAscom Settings

alistairsam
01-11-2015, 08:12 PM
hi

I've just bought an azeq5 and am trying to connect using the mounts USB port.
WIn 8 detects and installs the prolific usb2ser driver as com3.

I found that eqmod requires custom settings for this mount as per this thread in CN
http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/476391-the-new-sky-watcher-az-eq5-mount-debut/?p=6832297

But when I try anything in version 1.28k, I get "invalid parameter".
any suggestions?
where do I add these custom settings

select 5184000 for the steps per 360deg
select 38400 for the steps per worm rev
select 0 as the tracking rate tweak

Cheers
Alistair

AndrewJ
01-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Gday Alistair

As per the thread, you need to open the customise properties dialog by clicking on the little spanner icon, and then enter the data for both axes.
If the spanner isnt showing, you need to check the lower "show advanced options" checkbox first.

Andrew

alistairsam
02-11-2015, 12:21 AM
Thanks Andrew
That worked but when I slew from TheSkyx, the crosshair doesn't match the target.
screenshot attached
I have made sure the location in both EQAscom and TSX match.
I'm not using the hand controller. just direct USB to the mount.
how do you set it to EQ mode?

Thanks
Alistair

AndrewJ
02-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Gday Alistair

You cant set it to "equatorial/AltAz mode" as such, as EQASCOM by definition only works in Polar mode.
As to using TSX, not sure there, but i just retested a few "indoor" slews using CdC and the Xhair tracks perfectly.
Sooooo, whats different??
Is TSX reporting it is at the same RA/DEC as the EQASCOM dialog says??
Another wild guess, as i cant see any coords etc but just behind the ASCOM dialog i can see what appears to be Paramount MYT???? Is that just an example, or is the wrong scope type selected???

Andrew

alistairsam
02-11-2015, 09:30 AM
Thanks Andrew
I forgot to delete the T point model I had created earlier with the MyT. that's probably why.
I clear and re-test

cheers
Alistair

alistairsam
03-11-2015, 09:57 AM
it definitely was the Tpoint model. I cleared it and they now coincide.
Thanks a lot.

wonder when skywatcher will release some info on how to control their mount from a PC or even about the usb port.
until then azeq5 owners can thank you for your findings.

Cheers
Alistair

alistairsam
03-11-2015, 10:29 AM
There is an issue with the park position though.
the EQAscom park is the normal startup one with the CW down, but when I issue a park from TSX (even after clearing the park, setting the eqascom park as the park position) or issue a park from maxim, it parks in the horizontal position.
both maxim and tsx park slews it to the horizontal position.
but the eqascom park slews to the cw position.
another thing I noticed is that when i issue an eqascom park, maxim stops updating the scope position. tsx still gets the position though.

any thoughts?

pics attached are in this seq
1 - tsx position after a slow
2- maxim position after a slew
3 - maxim position after an eqascom park
4 - tsx position after an eqascom park
5 - tsx position after a tsx/maxim park

AndrewJ
03-11-2015, 10:45 AM
Gday Alistair

Dont understand???
If you want to leave the hbx fitted
You can
a) use the basic ASCOM celestron driver via the Hbx rs232 port
b) use EQASCOM via PCDirect mode into the Hbx rs232 port
c) use a USB direct into the the USB port

If you dont want the Hbx fitted, you can use an EQDir cable directly into the Hbx port on the mount itself.

One thing i have noted so far is if using PCDirect mode, the Hbx slew keys are "supposed" to still work, but i have found that it doesnt always work as expected, ( i suspect some sort of clash with EQASCOM, as it assumes it is the only thing connected and hence can poll for stuff when not expected. EQASCOM does a LOT of polling )

Once you have the ASCOM driver there, any app that can control scopes via the ASCOM type interface shld be able to control the scope.
( EQASCOM wont work for AltAz, but i believe the celestron driver will )

That said, the ASCOM drivers dont know about ( and hence cant use ) some of the newer features.
I am still playing with different functionality, but what you need to understand is the new USB port ( really just an internal USB2Ser converter ) connects directly to the motor cards, it doesnt talk to the Hbx.
It uses the commands that are reserved for PCDirect mode.
Thus, if you want to "control" the mount via it, you need to do everything "celestial" externally, as the cards know nothing about time, RA/DEC, location etc, they just know about basic motor commands and current microstep count from a set datum.
Most of these commands have been published by Skywatcher, but again, only a limited no of them will be useful unless you plan to rewrite the whole control system.

Andrew

AndrewJ
03-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Gday Alistair
Im no expert on TSX or Maxim, or what they do
but when an AZEQ5 initialises, its "zero" datums are counterweight down and OTA pointing at West horizon. ( i suspect this is really East horizon for Nth Hemi users, ie ready to track, but it only has one value )
As such, if TSX and or Maxim issue a Park, by doing this process ( ie faking a slew to 0,0 ), that would explain the horizontal OTA.
EQASCOM has a full set of overrideable user definable park/unpark options, ref att.
I dont use these yet, but there are supposedly a full set of yoo toob videos on how to use lots of the EQASCOM features.

Andrew

alistairsam
03-11-2015, 11:53 AM
hi Andrew,

I just want TSX or maxim or stellarium with stellarium scope to get the mount to park in the CW down position.

I don't know what the hbx is but if I use the HC in pcdirect mode, i'll still have to use eqascom, and if I do that, is that different to using eqascom with the usb port on the mount?

and with the SW, i meant I had to figure out how to use the USB port through forums. didnt find much on the SW site.

Cheers
Alistair

alistairsam
03-11-2015, 11:56 AM
do you mean connect via usb to the mounts usb port?

Cheers
Alistair

AndrewJ
03-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Gday Alistair

Hbx is Handbox :-)
The Hbx in PCDirect mode is identical ( comms protocol wise ) to the USB port on the back of the scope, ,except PCdirect is 9600baud and the rear USB is 115200.
In PC direct mode, the Hbx merely acts as a passthrough hub, but does allow the Hbx slew keys to be used. If you leave the Hbx fitted and use the rear USB port to connect via EQASCOM, it will all still work, and the Hbx will have full menu functionality, but you MUST not do anything via the Hbx that might upset the alignment ( which will be owned by EQMod ).

yep.

Andrew

alistairsam
03-11-2015, 12:16 PM
hi
i can define custom park positions in tsx. what co-ordinates would i need to use to get it CW down?

Thanks

AndrewJ
03-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Gday Alistair

No idea:shrug:

Set a value and see where it goes is all i can suggest on that.

Andrew

alistairsam
17-11-2015, 04:36 PM
I tested this in the field a few nights ago and the slews from TSX were completely off. I mean pointing south instead of west.
after a lot of digging around, I found that TSX requires topocentric co-ordinates.
so changing the epoch in eqascom to B1950 solved the problem.

thought it might help someone using tsx with this mount.

btw, this was the same with an azeq6. both slewed to the same incorrect area when j2000 was chosen in eqascom and a slew issued from tsx.

cheers
Alistair

AndrewJ
17-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Gday Alistair
All good info for people with TSX :-)
However, on another tack, have you measured the periodic error yet???
Mine has a large basic PE, but whats worse is i have a high freq ripple on it ( i suspect from the pulley on the worm ).
I have been corresponding with another user in Canada who got one unit without ripple, then a new one with ripple.
I also know of 2 other users who show no ripple at all, so thats 3 without and 2 with. Another data point would be interesting.

Andrew