PDA

View Full Version here: : Wide FOVs EP for big Achros

Meru
28-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Hi all,

My main use of scopes has been for imaging, but loving the (simple) visual use of my 6" achro. Colour fringing aplenty but love it regardless :D so am looking for a wide FOV EP to really get lost through.

Can someone please provide advice on where/what I should be looking for? Wide meaning >80deg, and I know you get what you pay for, but as it is a simple achro and dont want to drop more on the EP than the scope, preferably looking on the 'cheaper' side of the scale. FL is 750mm and looking around 13mm-ish :shrug:

Thank you!

brian nordstrom
28-09-2015, 05:07 PM
:thumbsup: Celestron Axiom LX , awesome 82 degree eyepieces for little money .
Very under rated , which is a real shame because they do perform very well especially in my , now sold 150mm f5 SW refractor .

Here is my 31mm monster on the end of my 127mm f8 iStar achro , this is a brilliant combination , this eyepiece is easily 98% of a mates 31mm telemangler at 1/3 the cost :question: , good eyepieces .

Brian.

The_bluester
29-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Not thinking of gong to Snake Valley are you? If you do you can borrow my ES 30mm and see how it goes.

anj026
29-09-2015, 06:35 PM
The Nagler 13mm type 6 works well in my old Jaegers 6" f5. That is about 59x and the maximum magnification I use for that scope. I mostly use an Ethos 21mm and a Nagler 17mm type 4. I used to use a 31mm Nagler but as I rarely get to really dark skies I find the 21mm Ethos works best for me.

MattT
29-09-2015, 11:22 PM
Can say that the ES 30mm 82º is close to perfect in my 4" f5 achro and shows a bit of FC from 90% out. A small/tiny turn of the fine focus wheel on the 10:1 GSO Crayford and the edge is in focus. ES 40mm 68º has a wider TFOV in the same scope and the FC begins at 80% out, again another small turn of the fine focus and is sharp at the edge...I find it a hard choice.

The ES 18mm 82º is perfect to the edge in the f5. The 18mm is one great eyepiece as it also works amazingly well in a 60mm f3.7 SV finder scope giving 5+º TFOV of sky.

Fox
01-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi Meru
I would seriously consider the Explore Sci 14mm, 82 deg for $185 at VTI Optics, and he is local in Melbourne. I think they are excellent performers for the price, and they look and feel very well constructed.
Fox!

SkyWatch
01-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Looks like a great eyepiece: but the site says it is not available (like a lot of his eyepieces). :(

I have the T6 Nagler 13mm. Terrific eyepiece at any f ratio I have tried. Unfortunately the Aussie$ has stuffed up the price, but I have seen them second-hand several times lately on this forum- so worth hanging out for. :thumbsup:

Meru
08-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone,

Tardy response I know, but thank you so much for the help. The Axiom LX looks a good alternative but for the prices I've seen on the net, seems like the ES 82deg line would suit me best. I've had a T6 13mm before and regretfully sold it, wish I had kept it! And really appreciate the offer Paul, not planning to go any time soon but if I do I will be in touch :)

I have the Orion Stratus 17mm & 13mm, tempted to sell the 13mm and buy the ES 11mm. Would be good to do a comparison before I sell it though! Shall keep everyone posted :D

Clear skies

brian nordstrom
09-10-2015, 12:05 AM
:)Hey Meru , just a reminder that many of the first Celestron Edge scopes come with the excellent 23mm Axiom so there has to be quite a few around ;) put a wanted ad up ? .

Please don't confuse the wonderful Axiom LX's with the inferior Luminous LX , these were made after a rift between LP optics in Taiwan and Celestron who made the Axiom's for Celestron :shrug: and another manufacturer in Hong Kong who took over the licence but could not use the Axiom name , cant remember who right now but the larger Axiom's ( 19mm , 23mm and 31mm ) are easily on par with TV's larger Nagler's .

Keep us informed , I only have one ES eyepiece the 6.7mm 82* and its very good , a nice eyepiece to look thru :thumbsup:.

Brian.