PDA

View Full Version here: : OBS Renovations, New Pier

E_ri_k
20-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Hey all, I have had nearly a 12 month break from imaging due to work, and having sent the TOA-150 back to Japan for repairs.

Also sold all my gear to fund a new Paramount MX mount to take the TAK when it arrives back, at this stage anytime after September, according to Takahashi.

I thought I'd share my progress so far! I sold my G11 and tripod, and over a period of about 3 weeks, on and off dug the hole for the pier.

Today I had the concrete delivered, aligned and set the bolt cage in place, and currently wet curing it.

That's it for now, I'll let it cure for a week, then attach the pier, and hopefully get back into it!

Erik

rally
20-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Erik

Nice work !
Looks like a well made and solid foundation

What happened to the TOA150 ?

Rally

E_ri_k
20-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks, yeah I don't think its going anywhere. One night I forgot to tighten dew shield lock screws, and it slid down into its resting position. A relatively gentle impact, but enough to put it severely out of collimation......:( I think there may have been something underlying though, maybe something was a little loose somewhere? A silly mistake which I'm paying for now!

Erik

rally
20-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Gee that sounds very unfortunate - I am surprised that it could even happen with such a relatvely minor bump.
I'll be careful with mine.

My guess is Tak wont charge you, but of course freight each way is a killer !

Somnium
21-08-2015, 11:24 AM
A nice solid pier foundation, looks like it will serve you well for many years to come :thumbsup:

E_ri_k
30-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Fixed up my old weather seal on the West wall. Originally I had bought some rubber strips from Clark Rubber, 4mm thick, and about 80mm wide which I had hanging off the flashing. It used to leak a little during really heavy rain.

Today I made this flashing out of 150mm treated pine. Now it seals very snuggly. Might get some of that weather strip foam and stick on just in case.

I'll have to figure out something similar for the East wall now....

Erik