PDA

View Full Version here: : Setting up a Second Hand Sirius Observatory

lazjen
22-06-2015, 06:31 PM
I was lucky enough to acquire a second hand Sirius Observatory earlier this year (it was about 6 years old). I had been thinking about putting up a ROR shed or something similar, but this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Last weekend, most of the install was done to my backyard (Install Photos (https://plus.google.com/+ChrisRyan_Oz/posts/WAuusM23bRf)).

Some things to be aware of if you do get a second hand unit:

* I made an error with the observatory positioning, such that I can't open the lower shutter all the way when it's near the shed. Although annoying, I can work around this fairly easily by having the shutter only partly unfolded. It would be quite rare that I would be pointing that low anyway as it's only to the east that it's even possible, and for those occasions I'll override the partial unfold.

* If you change the layout of the panels, which I had no choice but to do, there's some internal guard-type panels that will no longer fit correctly - the drill holes will be all wrong. These will need correcting or remaking (it's fibreglass btw).

* I was fortunate that the original owner had bolted the observatory to concrete floor, but had not put the bolts through the fibreglass, but used square "washer" plates to hold it down. This means I'll be able to do the same without needing to match current holes in the observatory wall panel floor, etc.

I've still got some distance to go with this yet before it's all complete, so if I discover anything more I'll add it here. I'll be able to start using it soon anyway, even if it's not all done (e.g. I'll run a power cable out for a while until I organise permanent electrical access).

gts055
22-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Very neat work, Mark

lazjen
28-06-2015, 12:24 PM
More work has been done yesterday and this morning.

With those guard panels, you need to be careful with the bolt lengths being used. If they're too long they'll impact the dome rotation. Where the guards overlap you'll need the longest bolts, but in other places keep them as short as possible.

For the maxdome unit itself that controls the dome rotation, I had 2 problems. The first was that the motor was wired in reverse so it moved the wrong direction when seeking for home. The second problem was that the paint on the motor gear used for sensing the revolutions had worn off, so it had no idea where it was or how many revs it was doing. Repainting that fixed that and homing works well.

lazjen
18-07-2015, 04:57 PM
I had some issues with the sensor on the dome rotator - it became erratic in operation. I had to take the whole control box off and clean, re-seat and tighten the sensor and the gear that rotates the track.

I got my gear in this week and last night finally got it all together and operational. It was great having the dome follow the scope around and keep itself in the right spot as the scope adjusted position.

Although I've yet to get a pier in place I've already noticed the difference with having the dome. It was very cold last night, but within the dome, being sheltered, I was a lot more comfortable. Of course, the shelter made a massive difference to the guiding as well as it didn't have to compete against the wind.

It's also cut out a lot of the surrounding light from the houses and streetlights around. I'm not sure how much that will help, but it can't hurt. :)

Finally, tonight is looking good and it's going to be great to walk outside, flick on a few switches, load up the software and go for a long imaging session. :thumbsup:

RickS
18-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Great stuff, Chris!

lazjen
18-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks Rick.

Minor setback tonight. One of the tracks started playing up and not rotating the dome in one direction. I think I managed to sort it out enough for tonight but I'll have to check it further tomorrow.

Anyway, imaging run underway. :)

lazjen
10-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Another thing to consider if you move a Sirius Dome. Some of the attachments to the fibreglass use self-tapping screws (e.g. the manual shutter winder). If you need to remove these screws, you might find they come loose after being reinstalled. Fortunately I was able to just use larger self-tappers to get around the issue.

An obvious problem when you think about it, but another thing to keep in mind.

h0ughy
19-09-2015, 11:39 PM
awesome, i also like the fact you must get along with your neighbours to have the entire open dome flap over their yard at some point

lazjen
20-09-2015, 07:11 AM
The bottom shutter is very close to the fence line when opened, but doesn't really go over. Even if it did, it's the side of their house that they don't really go to (has their water tank and a short path only - their main area is the other sides).

Interestingly, the neighbours that are there are new and I haven't spoken to them yet. They moved in at about the same time the dome went up.