PDA

View Full Version here: : What Next?

mr2ns
06-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Have recently purchased an 8inch Dob Skywatcher with the following lenses:
10mm 25mm and 36 mmm

This is our first scope. Looking at Jupiter we can faintly see two lines going across and can see its moons. However what do I need to do to get more detail / larger picture. I'm using Jupiter as an example for the other stuff I want to see.

What should be my next lense or do I need a barlow?

omegacrux
06-03-2015, 07:20 PM
A 6mm is handy size for planetary
budget is the issue they range from $40 odd up to money's no object
I have a 3mm and a 6mm the three sounds good but rarely gets used !
're reading your post a 2x barlow would be great
half the ep numbers
5,12.5, 17 that gives a good spread

David

geolindon
07-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Congrats on your new 'scope!!

Always the best advice here is to go to star parties n try before u buy, tho I didn't but did lots of research and especially members threads and recommendations.

Nearly a year ago I started with very similar gear n have been having lots a fun n learning heaps!

My next ep purchases were a tmb100deg fov 9mm and a tmb clone 6mm II planetary both second hand from iis classifieds. The 9 for the bigger views, not more mag. I haven't tried a top shelf barlow but found my Celestron narrowed the fov down too much to be enjoyable with the dob, tho I used it to test what mag I could use n then sought the eps.

I found the 6mm very good but the 100d 9mm spoilt me with the longer views between scope nudges. As you can see from my signature I recently upgraded to ES 82 deg. and I'm enjoying their views immensely. Tho the TMB 9 is is a real keeper!!

Be sure to see the adjoining thread here also, espec Alex's post re what will n won't work in ya newt :)

Enjoy, L

Renato1
16-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Get eyepieces or Barlow (or better yet, a Powermate) that delivers 200X, 250X and 300X or thereabouts for each.

If your telescope is well collimated, and after it has cooled down, you should find that 200X always gives you a good image, 250X often gives you a good image, and on occasion 300X gives a good image, and 400X rarely gives a good image (but it is worth it when it does). Where you live may be somewhat better than where I live, and you may get better results.

For best results, make sure you don't aim over someone's house which has an air conditioner or heater going.
Regards,
Renato

mr2ns
16-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I really need a star party to happen in Perth very soon.
That way I can see what Barlow or Powermate is best to get.

I think will go through the barlow/powermate option firstly before trying different size eyepieces.

Regulus
16-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Good idea mr2ns. A good barlow is a keeper and always useful. It will also give you a better idea of what next higher power ep you might want.
Add a moon filter to your equipment, if you haven't already, to so you aren't left with a blind spot after luna viewing.
Trev