PDA

View Full Version here: : Junction box on pier

Dealy
24-02-2015, 04:46 PM
I am planning on installing a junction box on my pier to tidy up all the cables and run them down a conduit, under the floor and up to the desk.

I'm thinking 2 x 12v outlets, 1 x 240v outlet, and a USB hub, all nicely mounted in a box near the top of the pier. As I use a Canon DSLR a 7.5v outlet would also be good but I do plan on upgrading my camera later, so this will then be obsolete.

This will get rid of the cables, power board, transformers and USB cables all over the floor.

Any suggestions on what would be useful or what I should or shouldn't do would be much appreciated.

Kev

g__day
25-02-2015, 01:16 AM
A few suggestions:

Plan for cables to somehow die and be replaceable, as weird things can happen and its great if spares are there or you can re-thread your cables without major surgery. If you have to take it all apart at any stage to change over a cable you will curse yourself that you didn't make it simple to swap a dead cable in and out.

Run USB3 cables to your mount (two) and run them into a powered 7 port (3 x USB2, 4 * USB3) selectable on/off hub (around $50 from office works - see link below).

Sticky velcro-tape some 4 or 6 power board (selectable on / off) two thirds up the side of your pier (great for Camera power adapters, and focuser power transformers).

Plan to see if you could run all USB cables to your powered hub; meaning at most only one or two USB3 cables run to your PC.

Make sure all your cables are if possible double insulated if they may fall anywhere wet (where dew condenses) - prevent corrosion.

Consider running a Cat6 cable to your pier - if you ever think you might but a networked device to put on your rig.

Stay away from USB2 extender cables unless you can be absolutely sure dew will never corrode anything - I find the extenders really prone to corrode easily so now I use 4metre USB3 cable straight to a powered USB3/USB2 7 port Mbeat hub from Officeworks. http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/mbeat-7-port-powered-usb-hub-awm43hub

ZeroID
25-02-2015, 12:27 PM
2 x 12 volts ain'r enough. Mount, fans, peltier or other accessories. I'd always over plan then add couple more. Redundancy and alternatives. You may find your USB hub has some issue handling multiple devices so you need to add another hub and therefore more input\output options.
I have a 6 place 240 vac connector on my pier, only using 3 at present but equipment needs change and grow.
I also run 5v to my pier for slow fan mode on the Newt. I'll build a 7.5 for the DSLR shortly.
Pier connections is the bane of the astronomer I tell ya ..

Dealy
25-02-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks Matt/Brent

I currently have a fairly simple set-up, no motorised focuser, peltier etc.

All I use at present is 2 x USB ports for the guide camera and imaging DSLR.
I use 1 x 240v outlet for the DSLR power supply.
I have a 12v supply from a transformer for the mount and dew heater.

I do plan on upgrading as approvals come through from the Minister of Finance ;)

Replacing/adding a cable shouldn't be a problem if required at a later date, as I am using conduits to run cables.

As I currently only use 2 USB ports, I was thinking the 4 port hub I already have would be sufficient - do people use more than 4 ports?

Also the salesman at Jaycar said a powered hub is only required if charging tablets, cameras, etc, and not necessary for data transfer. Is this correct, or does a powered hub boost the signal?

I probably should use USB3 as you suggest for future upgrades. My laptop is only USB2 so at present USB3 would be of no benefit.

I just bought a USB2 extender cable but it won't be exposed to dew, so hopefully will be ok.

Re the 240v outlet, I was hoping to neatly mount everything in one junction box. A 4 outlet power board may still fit though. Where possible I would like to do away with power supplies plugged in at the pier. I know it would be a lot simpler but my OCD requires everything to look neat and tidy :)

Will mounting 240v in the same box as USB cause interference, or as Mr Jaycar also told me this is only the case with a large 240v current draw. I won't be running the cables side by side all the way to the laptop, just up the pier to the junction box.

Maybe I shouldn't try to guess what my final set-up will be - just make the junction box with a removable face plate that can be changed/replaced relatively easily as required.

Thanks, Kev

ZeroID
26-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Yeah, it always a bit of a mission keeping it all tidy, as I said it's the bane of the astronomer. Keep it minimal to what you need but have room for expansion. Later add-ons are always messier.

A powered hub is better for data transfer and control, your salesman has never been exposed to an astronomical situation and any longish runs can be problematic, even what could considered short in IT terms. I'd be going powered regardless.

Low amperage on the 240 VAC is correct, mine runs the 6 watt OTA heater, the hub PS and the mount 12v PS (at present) but I still try to keep them as seperate as possible from any data or control lines. Easier than trying to figure out where problems might be coming from later.
I run the 240 VAC in from the north side of the pier, data from the west. Camera controls and data up the west side, power to the east.