PDA

View Full Version here: : .965 EPs in an 8" Dob

drmorbius
09-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi all,

I have an 8" Dob with 2" Crayford and 1.25" adapter... plus a few stock standard 1.25" GSO Plossels that came with it.

My question is this... if I had some good quality .965 EPs and a suitable adapter, would they perform as well as (if not better) than my basic 1.25" EPs? Or to put it another way, is a good quality .965 EP better than an average 1.25" EP?

thanks-- randall

Astroman
09-09-2006, 07:42 AM
They should work considering older 8" Newts used to come with them. My only concern would be the llight cone would be cut off a little by the small Barrel diameter. Try it and see how it goes, nothing lost then.

[1ponders]
09-09-2006, 07:47 AM
You may be able to get some good planetary eyepieces Randall, but as Andrew said (paraphrased :P ) you will have a much reduced field of view. Don't quote me on this but I think the old .925 only had about a 40 -45 deg field of view, as compared to the standard 50 deg for a plossl.

gbeal
09-09-2006, 08:30 AM
I'll go out on a limb here. My Zeiss .96" orthos are as good, or better than the average 1.25" eyepiece. I have yet to get a decent side by side, but the preliminary quick peeks with a Takahashi LE 7.5mm and my beloved O-8mm Zeiss give the better view to the Zeiss. Prices are similar to slightly more for the Zeiss, and as has been suggested FOV is slightly narrower with an ortho, than with the LE's plossle design.
Simply put, don't judge the quality by the barrel size, however given the rash of cheap and nasty .96" eyepieces that proliferated earlier, I can understand your thoughts.
Gary