PDA

View Full Version here: : Leaks ..

ZeroID
09-12-2013, 07:56 AM
As anyone who has an Ob knows leaks are one of the banes of your life.
The fact that you have to roll back or move a roof away introduces all sorts of possible entry points. I've had a few small intrusions and drips ( and one big intrusion ) and have been searching for a solution when i spotted an Ob build thread on Cloudy Nights.
The builder lived in a high rainfall area and was using a tin shed solution which he knew was not leakproof particularly at the roof overlaps which is one of my problems. His solution was to buy a Tarpaulin, one of the heavy duty silvery coloured types used to cover cars and then wrap the whole roof with it. Having recently sold on my project car I happened to have a spare tarp so applied said solution to my problem.
My roof swivels and has a wooden frame near the edge so I just stapled the tarp up underneath the eaves line then cut off the excess leaving enough to cover the junction of roof and walls. A closed door test during the day revealed I'd not only sealed every possible leak from above but created a total darkroom ! Bring on the rain ! :D
It also creates an insulation layer which will manage inside temperatures. I possibly may lift one side and slide some sheet styrene in to improve that.
Cheap and very effective fix with extra benefits. :thumbsup:

el_draco
09-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Be sure to check it regularly. Those tarps often deteriorate with ongoing UV exposure and you can end up damp.

White Rabbit
09-12-2013, 05:36 PM
Yup I had one covering my trailor tent an it's started to leak through. Also you might want to add some sort of mould protection. Wet, warm and damp= mould.

It will be a good temporary solution but eventually it will fail you.

Cheers.

ZeroID
10-12-2013, 09:51 AM
If I have to replace it it every couple of years it will be a cheap solution. It is one of the heavy duty car protector types, UV stabilised etc so should last quite a while. And of course the roof is still under it, this is just some extra protection against those little annoying damp spots.