PDA

View Full Version here: : Anyone else using MacMini for astro?

Logieberra
21-11-2013, 07:17 PM
I was fortunate to get a MacMini for my birthday in October.

In my opinion, it doesn't get much better in terms of small formfactor with grunt for astro.

Because I control my entire setup over wifi, no monitor, keyboard, mouse etc are needed. Just the Mini.

Just loving it :)

Logieberra
21-11-2013, 10:47 PM
USB3 may also prove important in years to come, as CCD cameras no doubt move that direction.

SpaceNoob
22-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Not using one....yet.

I converted my MacBook Air into an astro rig via boot camp, I just remote into it from from ipad or some other laptop/PC. If I could integrate it with everything without needing windows I would have just kept it running OSX natively. I'm too reliant on ASCOM bus integration with TSX pro.

Will likely get the next mac mini as it's nearing a hardware update. That said, it's an impressive piece of kit, hardware stable and just works. Nice little mini should fit quite nicely in an observatory once I figure out what I'll drop down out in the backyard. :question:

Logieberra
22-11-2013, 08:27 PM
I remote into the Mini with Mac screen sharing on my Macbook Pro. So simple. Teamview is great, but mac to mac, this is a beautiful thing.

As a MX and Mac guy, you really need to lose Ascom. You don't need it :)

SpaceNoob
22-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Unfortunately I do, Planewave EFA, Pyxis rotator, Delta-T, etc. That and buggy OSX SBIG Autoguider drivers :-(

Won't be losing ASCOM any time soon, considering I have just moved to it. With the FSQ setup I had no problem just running everything on OSX. I run pure TheSkyX Pro, so I don't want to run focusers within a VM, separated from the camera etc.

Splashtop & iPad air = pretty sweet when sitting in the lounge room!

TimberLand
26-11-2013, 06:08 AM
I'm looking into running everything on a Mac mini as well, Parallels running windows to get to legacy PC stuff a home, the networking with Remote Desktop and VPN work seamlessly out of the box mac to mac so I can remote from back in Brisbane. But I think I'll wait for the next version to get USB 3 before purchasing as my old net book it still running fine, sort of.

Logieberra
26-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Justin, I may have misread your post, but USB3 is already in the current line of minis.

For processor hungry astro apps like TheSkyX, I wouldn't use anything less. Image linking is lightening fast and and modeling of guide star shapes, virtual mount etc are smooth as. These apps are only gonna get hungrier...

Poor little Atom netbook of mine is feeling quite rejected...

TimberLand
05-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Yes the current units are USB3, but if I was to asked the finacial advisor for a Mac mini I would get the old one the kids currently use and that is only USB2.

Sorry I should have elaborated on that one.

ossgraphics
10-12-2013, 06:40 PM
I gone through entire discussion. It really seems so useful and informative for all those buddies who are curious enough to buy a MacMini.

Thanks for sharing it :)