PDA

View Full Version here: : Anyone used a USBGEAR USB over ethernet hub?

mithrandir
09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
There was a reference on another forum to a 4 port USB over ethernet hub - http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-4NET.html

4 USB2 full speed (ie 12Mb/s) ports in, one USB2 out, one 10/100/1000Mb ethernet port.

I couldn't find an Australian distributor but then I didn't look that hard.

2stroke
09-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I think thats a usb 1.1 setup man, usb 2 is 480mpbs. Seems a bit vague as its says 802 10/100 but then says it has a 10/100/1000 port, if its limit to connecting at 100mbs then its going to be useless for image downloads and other high bandwidth apps, even at a gigabit taking packet loss ect into account its more then likely going to choke while guiding and downloading images. For the price its pretty dam cheap though and i would just double up if they work at gigabit speeds your set then.

mithrandir
09-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Jay we had the "what does full speed USB2 mean" discussion a few months back. Full speed means 12Mb/s and was part of the USB1.1 specification. It does not appear to have been changed for USB2 or USB3. 480Mb/s is called "High Speed". 5Gb/s is called "SuperSpeed".
I've got a gigabit network and most of the devices have gigabit ports. If I was remote controlling over ethernet I would not be using a 100Mb PC.
I'll see if they can clarify the web page. Having 10/100 in one place and 10/100/1000 in another is confusing.

2stroke
09-09-2013, 10:26 PM
God what do some people on here call thunderbolt "light speed" gahah,

By the way it was directed at this noe the debate of usb revisions and naming's ect.

Yer that's what confuses me as well, this is saying its really a usb 1.X device though it has "full speed usb 2 backwards compatibility"

100 mega bits per a second is plenty for sending ascom commands to over 9 mounts as a serial commands are sent at really low bit rates and require bugger all bandwidth say 9,600 kilo bits per a second 100 mega bits per a second = 102400 kilo bits per a second / 9600 kilobits per a second = 10.r6

Anyhow let us know how you go if its a true usb 2 or "high speed" and if it connects as a 1000 megabit network device, if it does i'am jumping in the boat :)

leinad
10-09-2013, 02:07 AM
On a similar topic, has anyone tried the Icron 2204?
Astro physics advertises these on the website, and 'apparently' full download speed is preserved with ccd cameras using this USB Ethernet extender. I've got my eyes on this but it's hard to find reputable info if this is the case. Some have mentioned that they can run 4-port keyspan serial to USB and USB ccd cameras connected and see no problems.
100m distance, isochronous and USB 2.0.

mithrandir
10-09-2013, 08:18 AM
I got a reply from them. My question.

On the catalog page http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-4NET.html this is described as having a 10/100 ethernet port, but on the spec sheet is says 10/100/1000. Which is correct?

Their answer.

IEEE 802.3 compliant 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet Port with full duplex operation

Its Gigabit.

I didn't ask about the USB speed, but as they say 12Mb/s I'd be tempted to believe them since that is how "full speed" is defined.

2stroke
10-09-2013, 04:31 PM
Would be fine for scope control, these though https://www.lindy.com.au/online/arrshop.exe?anonymous=true&cat=e3 would be my choice, though at $200 its double the amount. There's a heap of much cheaper usb 1.1 12mbps ones on ebay even powered for around $40 so its $60 less then the one you have in mind. If it was in a obs i would just VNC it :)

BTW: here is what you want a real 480mbps setup https://www.lindy.com.au/online/arrshop.exe?anonymous=true&cat=e3 lol but at $800 is it worth it?

astrodave
10-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm really interested in the answer here too guys. I've tried a USB2 extender over Cat5e and I recently bought a locally sourced 1Gb , USB 2.0 USB server

http://www.iibuy.com.au/astrotek-external-41-usb-hub-over-ip-gigabit-server-1-x-gigabit-network-connector-4-x-usb-independent-port-1-x-shared-usb-port_p3648.html

In an endeavor to talk to my Orion SS autoguider. Whilst the camera is recognized and PHD will "load" the camera - it won't feed images to my PC. :(

I notice some cloudy nights discussion that both the usbg-4net and the icron 2204 work well with the Orion SSAG and other devices. So do I invest in one of these, or bite the bullet and buy a laptop to leave with the scope?

Decisions, decisions...

leinad
11-09-2013, 12:10 AM
For my limited understanding it may be that the driver is requesting isochronous transfer in from the device. And I f that USB server doesn't support it, then nothing is sent from the device, it just fails.
Devices can send bulk transfer and isochronous, one is error checked and isn't time critical, the latter is 'streamed' and there's no error checking(voice , audio).
Perhaps it's PHD requesting through the driver to the device to use isochronous transfer?

Have you tested it through your image capture software, nebulousity or maximDL ?

I agree that spec description was all over the shop, what the heck is forward capability?