PDA

View Full Version here: : Internet Explorer Drama, I think ? Rant & Advice needed ?

astronobob
30-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Hi all,
Sorry if this is a Lame Post, But I just Dont 'Get' Puutas :rolleyes:
Like, I can use Programmes, Basic astro, Photo shop, Adobe Illustrater ect, all these type things to some degree, No Dramas . .
But, the rest of the stuff Behind the scenes on PC's, well, Bout as usefull as an ashtray on a Motorcycle ?

Problem : Over the last couple months, about 4-5 times, I have started my 3-4yr old Desktop PC (acer aspire M3800, nothing Flash) and the Whole thing (Screen) looks different, 3/4's of my icons are gone, resolution has changed, background photo Gooone, IE does Not even have a my normal Home Page, just to mention a few ?

Now, in saying the above paragraph, I know if I want to, I could manually change some settings, eg, resolution, put my icons back, Replace my background, Internet home page ect, etc !
BUT, I dont understand, Why & Who on earth thinks that they have the right to change all my setting etc, with out my permission, This is OutRagious :screwy:

Like if they ( Who are They) can do this, than I want to find out who they are, Break into their Mercedes, Re-upholster the interior to pink with purple dots, re-arrange all the controlls, not to mention, hide 3/4's of them, relace the nice tinted windows with clear glass, Paint Astro related Logos all over the body and signwrite a few favourite quotes on it, Like, BOORN FREEE & LIVE TO DIE, SMOKE WEED, even :rofl:

Any's the Who, What I have been doing, and this is prob the Lame bit :screwy: and that is, Ive just been doing a Systems Restore back to February, But somehow, this is not permanant ?

As mentioned, I think it has something to do with IE, Because, after these 'Illegal' changes, I mouse over the EI Icon and it states ( EI 9 ) Where As, When I restore, I have ( EI 4 ) ? ?
ALSO, I might add, I Do Not have 'Automatic Updates, Checked, or On, So It cant be a Windows thing ? Dont worry, I do a manual Windows Update evry 2-3 months, This is because, If I leave 'Auto Update ON, I get, 180MB of updates every time I turn the PC ON, Something else is adrift on that one, but I can manage this, as mentioned !

So, If any one can shed some light on this recent 'OverWriting' of my desktop and settings Etc, Id be very grateful indeed :)

tilbrook@rbe.ne
30-04-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm with you Bob!

Great when they are working well, frustrating when they're not! It always seems to be something to do with the internet that crashes the computer.
We have a stand alone for accounts at the business, never had a problem.
I would say though, you should do your updates more often. I was doing the same as you and the laptop slowed down to a point where it was useless.
I now do my updates regularly, it's worth paying for a little more internet time to do the updates and have less hassles.

Cheers,

Justin.

astronobob
30-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Cheers Justin, Do you think it is an update problem ? I only did one a few months back ? Could be possible, Ill look into it anyway, but that doesnt explain why my settings all change etc, Updates should Not change these things, I thought they are mainly designed to upgrade protection etc ? ? ?

Anyway, my PC is not crashing or going slow, everything runs sweet, I often do registry & hard drive cleans, also defrag automaticaly every two weeks, It is not cluttered with a thousand progs & a thousand web links ect, and after 4-5 yrs I have only used 1/5 of the hard drive space : ) Still runs as fast as new : )
The problem I have is that something/one is forcefully over-writing my desktop settings on start-up, My guess is, that its probably a conflick with all these new Internet arrangements going on out there, a lot of competition about, But which/what ? ?
Frustrating, as my updates are turn Off, as mentioned, so who/what is getting through this ? Almost sounds like a hacking caper, but I really doubt it ! More like IE forcing an upgrade of soughts ? ? With that in mind, I thought at least a few others may have been experiencing something similar ?

I hate going through these things, so I dont bother spending hrs going around in circles, cause I really dont have a clue ?
Thanx for your input all the same Justin, I could get my Son here and may shed some light on Updates or other etc, that I'm Not aware of ?
Anything worth a try at this stage mate :thumbsup:

martyn01
01-05-2013, 10:16 AM
If its not broke don't fix it, a lot of update start problems down the line

tilbrook@rbe.ne
01-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi Bob,

I think that's one of those " How long is a piece of string question".

I really don't know, if updates will fix or make your situation worse. I can only go off the experience I had. Regular updates on OS seems to keep Win7 operating smoothly.

Cheers,

Justin.

Merlin66
01-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Bob,
Are you still running under XP?
I have a similar aged set up and, touch wood, haven't experienced similar problems....
Running IE8..

astronobob
02-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanx again Justin, next time it happens I should just go with it, see what its about, just strange that it happens with Updates Off ? ?
Cheers also . .

No, Not XP Merlin, whish was Win7, but have Vista Riska, could explain a thing or two, Lol. Ive found out that sometimes when I log off the little spinning wheel mouse pointer thingo keep on for over 5mins instead of 15-20secs, thats when things are changing for next startup ? So, I just Kill the switch before in finishes, ha ha, problem solvered :lol:
But Im sure all this isnt some disaster, Im going to run with it next time, just dont know how it happens with Updates Turned OFF :screwy:
Appreciate you comment mate,
AvagoodN . .