PDA

View Full Version here: : Photoshop and RAM not playing nice again.

bloodhound31
21-04-2013, 08:08 PM
I've been seeing this happen more often lately.

(Picture 1)
Not enough RAM.

Why? It's only one picture!?

(Picture 2)
When saving, what do these three choices mean when you are saving an image for print?

*Baseline ("Standard")
*Baseline Optimized
*Progressive

What does that bit down the bottom mean? "Scans) (3)

(I am saving them as 72DPI and 800x600 pixels for the net, then it's 240DPI at 8x12 inches, 20x30 inches and this one was 42 inches on the long side.)

Joshua Bunn
21-04-2013, 11:12 PM
maybe you need to assign more RAM to photoshop. go to Edit > preferences >performance and change the memory usage at top left. Then again you may need a machine with more RAM.

Josh

mithrandir
22-04-2013, 12:01 AM
Baz, is this a 32 bit or 64 bit system? Your image has 206Mpx, and that's probably pushing the bounds for a 32 bit version of Photoshop by the time you've done some processing like layers.

bloodhound31
22-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys. It's a 32 bit XP PC with 2Gb of RAM.

The new machine in the observatory is slowly taking over the tasks I've customarily been doing on this little laptop, so it's not a biggie. This one will go out on the front lawn soon and suffer the wrath of my mattock, just like my Ryobi arc-welder did......

multiweb
22-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Allow more swap space on your hard drive and you'll be right. It's under preferences/scratch disk or performance.

Nikolas
22-04-2013, 02:05 PM
2 gig of ram is useless, you need to double it to 4 to get photoshop to work half decently

pluto
22-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Remember though that a 32bit OS is only going to be able to use 3gb. I agree you should get more RAM but not much point if you don't upgrade to a 64bit OS.

bloodhound31
22-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Well, I have been using 2gb of RAM for nearly 6 years, performing photoshop (elements 6) editing tasks for professional photography of weddings, real-estate, portrait shoots, conferences, landscape, macro, product, wildlife and astro. It's seemed to be good enough until recently.

Just goes to show what you can squeeze out of cheap programs and underpowered computers hey?

Still, the 64bit-8GB-windows 7 machine I have now in the observatory is super-fast by comparison. I wonder how long it will be before that's not enough?

jase
26-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Perhaps swap'em around Baz. My observatory system was a 2GB intel Atom set up which was hardly a power house. It didn't need to do much other than run the hardware (mount, camera, focusing etc) and acquire images.

The processing system needs the grunt and memory. Recently, I bought a dedicated solid state drive and set it up as a scratch disk in photoshop. Wow, major performance improvement. I think the next system I build for processing will be all solid state with exception to a large disk for archiving/storage as opposed running apps from.