PDA

View Full Version here: : Plugins for photoshop on Mac

BlackWidow
30-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I have just got a new Mac and will be putting my Sony Pc aside. I have now got dual boot on the Mac so I have the best of both worlds with a fantastic screen (as Macs seem to have)

I am wanting some advice on available plugins for Photoshop that others may have used on Macs. I find that image processing is faster and better on the OSX enviroment and also want to learn another operating system.

I still have all my normal setups on the PC also... Did not think I would bother with a Mac, but when I got a free one 21.5" dual core 3.0 ghz with 16 gig of ram a 1 Tb HD I just felt my arm twist.. :eyepop:

Thanks
Mardy

Andy01
30-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Get the Nik Software collection, awesome and now much cheaper thanks to its new owners Google : ) seriously these filters rock!

Tandum
31-03-2013, 04:20 AM
Martin, thank Berkeley university for your mac's responsiveness.
Last time I looked under the hood of a mac it was BSD hiding inside.

troypiggo
31-03-2013, 08:13 AM
What do you want the plugins to do? I think most astro-related plugins are Windows-specific. I'll have to fire up my Mac to find the few that do work.

Actions are fine on any OS, but plugins are compiled. So unless they've compiled for each OS, you're usually going to lose out to Windows.

troypiggo
31-03-2013, 10:08 AM
If for astro, I reckon save the coin for buying PS and also the plugins, and get PixInsight instead. Bit of a learning curve, but think of the money saved as investing in time to learn a new and more powerful astro-specific software.

rally
31-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Ditto

mostschaedel
08-04-2013, 08:01 AM
I also saved the coins instead buying PS and also the plugins, and got PixInsight instead. With PixInsight i have now a complete
Astro-Imageprocessing-Programm. All extensions and upgrades are free in contrary to the PS-world. You dont have to buy additional stacking or
processing software!
Yes, PixInsight is a much more powerful astro-specific software.
(Forget PS use PixInsight and your future Images will be processed:D and not "painted":lol: with PS...)

Gerald (a real Fan of)

pluto
08-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Just been reading the PixInsight page and checking out the tutorials, looks awesome!
How does it compare to Nebulosity?

(sorry to stray OT)

troypiggo
08-04-2013, 11:30 AM
In short, I think the only thing Nebulosity does that PixInsight doesn't is the image capture.

But the calibration and processing features of PI are much more elaborate and flexible than Nebulosity IMO. And it does much more on top of that with all the scripts being written at the moment, the possibilities go on.

I have Nebulosity 2, but I would never use it for processing over PI. If you have it, use it for image capture then process in PI I reckon.

pluto
08-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks Troy :)