PDA

View Full Version here: : PC USB Ports Problems ?

astronobob
09-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Hi there ,,

Very frustrating this problem , , , My approx 3yr old Acer Aspire M3800 quad core Running Vista has 4 USB2 ports ontop and 4 at the back, Ive always used the top ones for portable devices, mainly for the Dslr SD Card and a straight adapter, SD to USB, but it dropped & broke about 6 months ago, so I bought a Multi Card reader ( Pulse Media Single Drive ) which has been working just fine up untill a few weeks ago:

I plugged it in, then the SD card as usuall, so the putta goes a window saying "this device will work faster if used with USB2" WTF, So it took about 15mins to load up 60 Jpgs :rolleyes: Usually do this in 15 seconds !
Next time a couple day later it, said it again, so I quit the program, confirmed the device was 'go' to unplugg, and then tried the next USB port, Went fine, so I used this port in the future untill a week later, it too came a window that said "this device work faster if USB2"

So on & So forth, Now all 4 USB2's ontop only operate at USB1 speed. Even the vacant USB ports at back are stating the same thing, It just now took 45min to upload 103 images :confused2:

I update Windows every month, Ive also gone into 'Device drivers' USB ports & Hubs ect and attempted to Update them, but Windows says they are all fine and have the lastest drivers !

Unless there is something I'm missing, I can only conclude that the problem lies in the Multi Card reader ? ?
Does this sound feasible ? The Card reader was all ok for months, so I dont know which way to turn, A new card reader would probably be my 1st move ?

Any ideas appreciated ,,

Colin_Fraser
09-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Bob, I had the same problem a few months back.

If you plug a USB 1.1 device in a USB 2.0 hub, all other ports on the hub no longer work as USB 2.0

So check what speed the devices are, you may have a USB 1.1 amongst them.

The same goes for the hub if it is USB 1.1 it will slow the other ports on the computer.

astronobob
10-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Very interesting Colin and I appreciate you input !
I wonder now what may have upset things then, as I have only used the same devices for years and never been a problem, oh hang on, I wondering if the keyboard may be USB1 ? I may have change it in the back USBs ages ago, or maybe the mouse ? could these devices be USB1's and Ive plugged it into a USB2 in the back ?

Ive tried to find details on which ports are 1's or 2's but not showing me that info, Has info on everything else but doesnt state wheather they are 1's or 2's ? ?

Colin_Fraser
10-03-2013, 12:47 AM
There is an exclamation mark on the USB mass storage device. That indicates a problem.

Colin_Fraser
10-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Check the properties of each USB Root Hub.
Click the Advanced tab, that will tell you if the hub is operating at full speed or not.

astronobob
10-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Thanx Colin, thatsa problem ? It is said that they are operating at full speed except that one, Windows cant load a driver due to something I dont understand ! Windows also tried to find a solution, but hasnt come ack with anything yet ? ?

astronobob
10-03-2013, 01:14 AM
It also ask's to unplug the device (as seen on the above attached)
but I dont have anything in apart from my mouse, keybourd and sound system, but they are all plugged in the back ports, and they are working fine ?

Colin_Fraser
10-03-2013, 01:21 AM
Okay. So the card reader you purchased not plugged in?
Try removing the USB Mass Storage Device from list. Then scan for new hardware and see what happens. Plug in the card reader again and see what happens. You must get rid of that error first.

astronobob
10-03-2013, 02:12 AM
Cardreader not plugged in, always take out straight after finished with it, and only when it 'safe to do so'

AnyWay, I think we have succeeded Colin, took your advice & uninstalled that USB Mass Storage Device from list, I thought it would be gone forever, tho having 7 usbs out of 8 is better than a bunch of useless ones ?
The I hit properties on the whole folder of hosts & buses and updated for the drivers, did a Shutdown and fired it back up, and a window opened saying that the mass storage device driver was updated and ready to use and I have all 8 back on the list with no exclamation marks : )
Ill take some photos tomoro arvo and try uploading some fresh pics then, Am quitting for the night soon, while Im apparently ahead ;)

Cheers ..

astronobob
10-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Well, soughted one problem out, that is, have no exclamation marks BUT all Ports still saying "can operate faster if USB2 ? ? Plugged in a mass stick and it working fine, no messages of the like, reading it fast and instantly !
Will purchase a new Card addapter/reader and take it from there, unless other suggestion are out there ? ?
Thanx !