PDA

View Full Version here: : eqmod game controller

Tandum
21-02-2013, 12:48 AM
Does anyone use a PS3 controller with eqmod?

It seems I'm looking for a controller to bump the scope and can get a wired PS3 controller pretty cheap. I have plenty of usb available at the mount so don't need the wireless one.

Alternately, what do you use?

Screwdriverone
21-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Hi robin,

I use a bog standard wired generic Xbox type usb controller that I got for about $20 from eb games, works just fine with eqmod.

Of course, you feel like a tank commander......:;

Cheers,

Chris

Tandum
21-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Cheers Chris, that'll do me.

gbeal
21-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Guys,
to a complete novice with EQMOD etc, and more so with games and the likes, can I use a USB controller, like the PS3 version?
Reason I ask, I am thinking to use EQMOD some more, I used it to start with, then went to other ways, and am back to thinking in that direction.
Biggest bane is alignment, and making the corrections while at the eyepiece.
Gary

Tandum
21-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Hey Gary, I had one connected ages ago but never really used it, but now I got a 5x powermate and little video cam I need to bump the scope again so I just ordered a wired xbox controller off ebay for $16 delivered :)

I figured it might be safer to buy a microsoft xbox controller for a windows PC rather than a sony ps3 controller, if you know what I mean, plus chris has one working. On the windows menus under eqmod I see a gamepad monitor which I guess will show me the controller is working and under eqmod setup there is a button to configure a controller with what looks like every option in the system.

gbeal
21-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Might have to try that as well Robin, thank you. Right now I have hooked up a spare PS3 wired (USB) controller and loaded ASCOMPAD V1.20, with no success. I can make it work, but likely it is the dinosaur not understanding how to.
Gary

WingnutR32
21-02-2013, 03:09 PM
The controller with EQMOD is fantastic. I grabbed a cheap ebay copy for $10 delivered and it works great. Makes aligning stars precisely a treat being able to change from all 4 slew speeds at the press of a button.

gbeal
21-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Sam,
do an old geezer a favour then please, PM me and point me to how to do this.
Gary

Forgey
21-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I use a PS3 wired controller with eqmod, works great, use it all the time makes it so much easier.

Merlin66
21-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Gary,
You don't need AscomPad for the games controller....
RTFM!
I just use an ol' flight sim wired PC games controller - works well.

Cam
22-02-2013, 01:57 AM
I use a $10 ebay wireless PS3 controller and it works great. You just have to install a PS3 to PC driver, comes on a disc with the controller and usb receiver

Tandum
22-02-2013, 03:33 AM
That's what I was thinking, I'm hoping the xbox controller will be embedded in win7 updates so it's plug and go.

Any joy Gary? As I remember you go into eqmod controller config, click on an action and then press the button on the controller you want to do that action and it records it. I don't remember using any ascom pad drivers at all.

WingnutR32
22-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Gary, as Merlin66 said, no need for ASCOMPAD to be run these days.

Install/plugin the controller, start eqmod and expand the advanced screen. Off to the right there is Gamepad Configuration, and in there you can assign buttons.

I left everything default apart from slew speed buttons which I mapped to the top four buttons

gbeal
22-02-2013, 12:25 PM
I'll give it another shot guys, thank you. RTFM? No sane Kiwi bloke does that, LOL.
I've been to the setup page for the controller, but can't seem to get any button to make any number move. Cam's "PS3 to PC driver" might be where I have failed.
I'll report back.
Gary

2stroke
22-02-2013, 05:02 PM
PS3 generic here wired, there no drivers need, you just plug it in and it uses the generic game controller drivers, its that simple.

gbeal
22-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I've given up, can't do it. The PS3 (wired) is seen in Devises, but for the life of me I cannot make the buttons or "joystick" on the controller move the mount, not at all.
I did find the "Pad" button in the Slew area. This allows me to slew with the mouse, so this might suffice.
Thanks all.
Gary

Tandum
24-02-2013, 02:04 AM
When this xbox thing arrives I'll grab some screen shots of how I got it going and send em over. Your not still on win XP are you?

gbeal
24-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Cheers Robin. No, on Windows 7. (I think, I'm normally on OSX as you know).
Had a fiddle last night, and used the "Pad" section of the slew menu, so all wasn't lost, but I really need to master this gamepad way, might spring for an X Box style controller.
Gary

Astroman
24-02-2013, 01:01 PM
I used to use a Logitech Rumblepad 2 for controlling EQMOD, Logitech have wired as well as wireless on the market. http://www.logitech.com/en-au/gaming/controllers. I am sure there are reasonably priced controllers on EBAY from time to time..

If you get the XBOX controller working, I would be interested in seeing how to connect it also, sounds like a good alternative if the other controllers are unavailable or too expensive..

rmuhlack
01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
I couldn't get a usb gamepad to work on my setup either (ASCOM 6, EQMOD, win7 64bit).

In the end i got a USB numpad. Click on the "Pad" button next to the slew controls on EQMOD, and you can slew, stop and change speeds all using the numpad.