PDA

View Full Version here: : Insurance Finally Settles.

Tandum
30-12-2012, 01:35 AM
After the great lightning strike of November 17th where everything plugged into a wall socket got zapped, I haven't had a PC in the dome, in fact we've only had one working PC in the house. Insurance took everything else away for inspection and reasonably quickly, everything was written off by their agents, it's taken this long for them to settle. They don't want to settle in cash, they want to supply replacement stuff, so the computers have been a sticking point for quite a few weeks.

They just couldn't get a replacement price on any of the computers as they where all custom built. The boys gaming PC had water cooling, I wanted a serial port on the dome PC like the old one, the media center needed both HDMI and optical out, they kept offering off the shelf HP computers which were not even close. On Thursday they finally caved in and are settling the computers in cash using the quotes I supplied a month ago.

So I couldn't wait for the cheque to get stuff working again, here's a pic of the new dome PC, all installed, just waiting for this case to arrive -> http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzA0NTE1

It's a mini-ITX machine with an i3 chip and 8gig ram and will bolt to the wall of the obs. It has 8 usb ports and even has a serial port. I should get the case for it on Monday with a bit of luck.

I used that standard ATX power supply to fire it up, the Antec case comes with a 19v external laptop type supply.

Plenty of grunt in a tiny box :)

leon
30-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Yea Robin, their very quick to take your money, but when it comes to their turn to pay out, one would think it came out of their own pocket, good on you for sticking to your guns, so to speak.

Leon

Ric
30-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi Robin

Great to hear you are getting it all sorted out.

That has always been a worry with me as well, I usually build my own computers as well but insurance companies just see it as a computer which can be replaced with some off the shelf model.

They always look for the cheapest way out.

allan gould
30-12-2012, 07:01 PM
Well done Robin, I'm pleased for you that it's all worked out

LewisM
30-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Which insurance? I had a major theft some time back (all my professional cameras and gear), and Suncorp dealt with it VERY rapidly and utterly professionally. Then again, I have a LOT listed SEPARATELY under their own cover, so that may have helped a lot?

RickS
30-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Good to hear you had a win at last, Robin!

RobF
30-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Good to hear you'll be back in business before too long Robin.

Screwdriverone
31-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Mmmm, 8 gig RAM and SSD drive.....noice.....

Tandum
31-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Cheers guys, a Samsung 27" replacement monitor for the gaming PC was delivered this morning so it looks like RACQ has everything underway at last.
I hope the new Amp shows up soon, I really miss the stereo more than I thought I would.

We got a 256gig SSD on a PCi-x card for the gaming rig. It shows up as a stripped raid array and isn't it quick. It needs a 4x pci-x slot though.

Tandum
07-01-2013, 10:32 PM
The case for this Dome PC finally arrived, they seem to be a bit like hens teeth.
It comes with a vesa bracket to bolt it the back of a monitor or the wall of a dome.

Here's some pics.