Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-08-2009, 09:59 PM
BC

Moving an EQ6 Pro on a red trolley

Hi,

Having lugged the various components of my EQ6 in and out of the shed enough times and have the weather quickly change, I have trawled around for trolley options. The usual method seems to be a scope buggy with the rather large wheels. While these wheels are ideal for moving over various ground types, I imagine they would get in the way when viewing, particularly when I use a small step ladder to get into the unusual EP locations. I have had a go at a different approach, which seems to work pretty well so far, although it does mean moving in 2 parts; the mount and then the tube (with rings and dovetail plate left attached to the tube). This setup gets me through a narrow gate and there are no wheels in my way when viewing, but it leaves all the wiring connected and the weights in place. My prototype is pretty rough-an-ready because I'm checking it out. Anyway, I thought I'd share my progress. It's based on a couple of bits of angle, welded together with feet from an old computer desk which keeps it just far enough off the ground to get the trolley under. The frame stays in place while viewing and only raises it by about 1cm over normal.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2.jpg)
49.9 KB260 views
Click for full-size image (11.jpg)
43.5 KB230 views
Click for full-size image (10.jpg)
52.0 KB268 views
Old 17-08-2009, 10:03 PM
coldspace

Great idea Bruce,
Anything to aid in speeding up setup/packup gets a big thumbs up from me.

Regards Matt.
Old 20-08-2009, 03:31 PM
briley (Brian)

eq6 trolley

its a great idea ,just put one together, it work very well
brian
Old 20-08-2009, 05:14 PM
gbeal

Great idea, but why not put the whole contraption on wheels, and also the PC as well, and wheel the whole kit and caboodle out as a single unit, I do.
Gary
Old 20-08-2009, 06:02 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Awesome idea...

I like Gary's thoughts too.. put the whole lot including computer and any power units on the trolley so the whole "observatory" rolls in or out of the garage..

Now, I'm off to start drawing up plans to build something similar!!

Alex.
Old 20-08-2009, 06:46 PM
gbeal

On ya Alex, it has taken a while for me to get to this stage, and I have attached a picture taken a few months back, this might show the whole kit etc. Since then I have re-invented the wheel, fitting larger wheels and as a result having to relocate the screw down rods that locate and lift the wheels off the ground. Roll it out, screw down the three screw rods, plug in the AC, and I am away, polar aligned each time.
Call me lazy if you like...................
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (703_Side.jpg)
94.9 KB212 views
Old 20-08-2009, 07:05 PM
AlexN
Widefield wuss

Laziness breeds efficiency Gary... For the lazy man will always devise some way of making something that is usually painfully difficult, simpler..

In this case, I applaud your laziness! Now, to start re-designing what I'd started drawing up!
Old 21-08-2009, 08:45 AM
BC

Hi,

I wanted to load on the scope as well but I haven’t yet for a couple of reasons. Firstly I was concerned that the centre of gravity might get a bit high and it all come crashing down while moving. It's good to hear that others have done this successfully. Secondly, in its current arrangement, the OTA would foul the top of the trolley, so I need to swing it by 90 degrees in RA. This leaves the whole thing too wide to get through my gate. Yes, modifying the gate is an option. Anyway, this is why I posted this; to share the idea, get feedback and refine.

Thanks,
Bruce

BTW The power supply unit is already there, hanging underneath the mount.