Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2022, 04:08 PM
Spartan1 (Philip)

Vintage octagonal wooden 4.3" refractor 1800fl F16

Vintage 4.3" octagonal wooden refractor about fl 1800mm (OTA is 1500mm plus partial draw-tubes, so F16). The air-spaced doublet weighs 0.5kg. The eyepiece is housed in a gunmetal barrel. The final draw tube is 1.25" so it will accept a modern eyepiece. There is NO tripod.

This is not a reproduction. The OTA is 1950's, possibly earlier. The doublet and the focusing system may be from a much earlier scope but there is no documented history. The previous owner of 15 years kept it as a conversation piece.

I can discuss further details with interested buyers. The next stage would be to analyze the doublet for optical specs, reinstall it in the front cell, restore the brass focusing tubes and acquire/make a suitable wooden tripod for observing. Even as a static showpiece in a large drawing room or a museum it would be stunning as it would be almost 9ft tall to the front cell when angled 45 degrees to eye level.

Pricing this scope is difficult but I am asking $500 with pick-up Mandurah WA. I will liaise with couriers but not undertake shipping myself. The doublet will be packed separately from the OTA.

PM me for further details/phone number
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (full.jpg)
105.4 KB212 views
Click for full-size image (central.jpg)
93.4 KB143 views
Click for full-size image (doublet1.jpg)
40.9 KB168 views
Click for full-size image (bolts.jpg)
92.1 KB163 views
Click for full-size image (thumbnail_IMG_5663.jpg)
63.7 KB144 views

Last edited by Spartan1; 19-04-2022 at 06:17 PM. Reason: SOLD