Old 22-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Searching for OAG Thread

I know a few months ago there was a thread started about OAG vs Guidscopes and rather than starting a new thread I was wondering if there is a way to search IIS forum for old threads.

I recently came across a image of a MOAG setup (seee attached image) that I want to replicate and I want to see if the thread covered any users whom have experience with the Astrodon Monster MOAG and can offer feedback as to the build quality and how effective this equipment is. I had intended to use a FS-78 as a guidscope but the Monster MOAG looks a better way to go. I have the same camera, ST-8300M/CFW-5, but plan to use it on a FSQ-106ED.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (p649276465-2.jpg)
65.7 KB31 views

Last edited by Hans Tucker; 22-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 22-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Marke (Mark)

Hans have a look at the Hutech OAG as well I posted some oics awhile back.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=77439

Mark
Old 22-10-2011, 11:37 PM
gregbradley

I use a MMOAG with an ST402ME guide camera. I also have a Lodestar which has potential but had a few probs.

It all works fine. The main issue is they are hard to get the guide camera to focus. Only in that if you are not close you won't get any view of really out of focus stars only when you are fairly close do you start seeing out of focus stars. It can be offputting and hard to get a feel for which way the guide cam needs to go.

The distance from the prism to the main camera chip has to be the same as the distance to the guiding chip for both to be in focus.

I found depending on which scope I would need to use one or the other of the 2 attachments the MMOAG comes with for the guide camera.

Also MMOAG may not be needed for 8300 camera but the smaller MOAG.

Apart from that and working out what adapters you need it works really well and is the best way to guide. Its better than self guiding if more fussy to setup as you can now guide separate to the camera filters.
So Ha etc are not affected by dim guide stars that require 30 second guide exposures or more.

Greg.
Old 23-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Thanks Greg & Mark. I did consider the Hutech OAG but it's build quality didn't appear to match the quality of the Astrodon, but I may be wrong in this area. The thread link Mark provided was interesting.

The MMOAG will allow upscalling should I decide later to upgrade from the ST-8300 to a camera with a larger chip..imaging skills permitting..if they ever delelop. Plus there is only $45 USD between the MOAG & MMOAG.

I found the thread I was looking for..thanks to google and the right search question.