Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 25-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Marc
Astronoob

Meade Variable Projection Camera Adapter problem

Hi all,
I recently purchased a Meade 11-7361-00 (1.25") Variable Projection Camera Adapter in Adelaide.
I returned home (Tassie) and found that my stock Celestron 20mm EP won't fit. The barrel seems a smidge too wide (EP OD). It seems the seat for where the barrel of the EP is supposed to sit is not fully machined all the way though (VPCA ID). It this a part flaw? Has anyone had or have this problem? Or is it a means for competing agencies to make each other's parts incompatible?

After many years of saying I'm gonna do DSLR photography, I get there and hit a hurdle as simple as this! Ah! lol All good

Anyhoo, I'd love to hear from folks who have similar or same issues.
Cheers.
Marc
Old 25-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Marc

I have a Vixen eyepiece projection unit that is very well made and machined but it will only accept slim 1 ¼ eyepieces.

My Vixen 10mm Plossl will comfortably fit but my Takahashi LE 5mm eyepiece will not fit. My 10mm Radian, 24mm Panoptic and 14mm XW have a snowflake in hells chance of fitting.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (EyeP Proj Exploded 1280.jpg)
109.5 KB77 views
Old 25-02-2008, 06:31 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

My celestron 20mm silvertop fits perfectly as do my narrow vixen 15mm fits nice and snuggly and my UO orthoscope 12 and 18mm fit perfectly. My meade 26mm has no hope. The silver tops are great if you can get them. They are a pretty good quality eyepiece for the price for projection.
Old 28-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Marc
Astronoob

Well, as it turns out, I have come across another hurdle in my lifelong pursuit to start DSLR Astrophoto. I finally managed to connect the 400D in Prime and Lo! and behold, I don't have the focus I need! I understand how SLR photography thru a Newt can be difficult due to the mirror being too far back from the focal plane. I have the opposite problem! I have the old Celestron G8N, where the OTA is quite short. I couldn't bring the moon in focus 2 nights ago, so I'm back to square one. I mentioned (in passing, of course!) to SWMBO that I may need a new scope!
For all the problems I have come across, can anyone recommend a fairly decsent (not too expensive - $3-4k) SCT, where I can use my current equipment? I understand they are a bit easier to do DSLR Astrophotography.

Cheers,
Marc