Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 2.29 average.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post

1. I'm still stuck - if I drag the "View & bookmark Login Link" or click on it and bookmark that page I still go straight to the page below rather than a meteogram. Perhaps I'm not saving cookies or something correctly?
This could happen if you have multiple tabs opened and you are already signed in.

If you open a browser from scratch from the encrypted link it will authenticate you then display your choice of home page.

If you open that link again and you're already signed in then it will display the bookmark page for that link.

Hope this clarifies the issue.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:44 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfn View Post
This could happen if you have multiple tabs opened and you are already signed in.

If you open a browser from scratch from the encrypted link it will authenticate you then display your choice of home page.

If you open that link again and you're already signed in then it will display the bookmark page for that link.

Hope this clarifies the issue.
This is interesting - I seem to be able to get straight to the Brisbane meteogram if I open the link in a new Chrome "Incognito window", as long as it is the only open window.

I'm not sure I'd always remember to do this - probably just do the extra click to get where I need to.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:00 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
This is interesting - I seem to be able to get straight to the Brisbane meteogram if I open the link in a new Chrome "Incognito window", as long as it is the only open window.
Because a new session is started, only one cloud free night website tab is opened and incognito will not cache the page.

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd always remember to do this - probably just do the extra click to get where I need to.
As per previous post, if you use the link from your desktop and no (signed in) session is active then the link will take you to your meteogram page.
If not it will take you to the bookmark page for the link. If it wasn't the case you would never be able to bookmark your link as it would take you to the meteogram page as soon as you've clicked on it.

The encrypted link is a mechanism to sign you in easily and take you where you want quickly. You still have the option to go to CFN, enter your email and password in the login panel if you choose to.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:19 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Thanks Robert. Not intuitive, but I have reproduced a successful "direct to meteogram" access as you said from a desktop icon when not previously signed in.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:23 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Meteograms Days Placement

The day is now aligned with 12 noon as per feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (meteogram_01.jpg)
198.2 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (meteogram_02.jpg)
197.3 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (meteogram_03.jpg)
198.7 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (meteogram_04.jpg)
198.3 KB31 views
Old 05-10-2016, 06:25 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Thanks Robert. Not intuitive, but I have reproduced a successful "direct to meteogram" access as you said from a desktop icon when not previously signed in.
What is not intuitive? How would you have us modify the automated login?
Old 05-10-2016, 09:35 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
The day is now aligned with 12 noon as per feedback.
Thanks Robert - I find that very helpful - hope others do too.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:36 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
What is not intuitive? How would you have us modify the automated login?
I have no knowledge of working with browsers and security, but would hope/expect a bookmark in Chrome would take me straight to meteograms just as well as a desktop icon. Not something I've encountered before, but if a requirement for robust security will accept as a given.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:32 AM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Hi,

I don't want to step on any toes and I certainly don't want to offend... but,

RobF,

The link supplied simply references your profile, so if you copy the link into the "URL" field of your bookmark (right click and "edit"), it will automatically open the page with the preferences you set up under your profile. There is a selection under your CFN profile that defines the start page, and you can select meteogram. The only caveat is that you then have to select the model you want to look at, or change location if you are interested in somewhere other than your default location. I would post a screenshot but I'm at work at the moment and cannot sign in properly .

I hope this helps...
Old 06-10-2016, 06:56 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptrack2 View Post
Hi,

RobF,

The link supplied simply references your profile, so if you copy the link into the "URL" field of your bookmark (right click and "edit"), it will automatically open the page with the preferences you set up under your profile. There is a selection under your CFN profile that defines the start page, and you can select meteogram. The only caveat is that you then have to select the model you want to look at, or change location if you are interested in somewhere other than your default location. I would post a screenshot but I'm at work at the moment and cannot sign in properly .

I hope this helps...
Couldn't have said it better.

Robert, the link is a process that logs you in and takes you to your preferred home page, so not a simple bookmark technically. There is a little logic behind what it does, this is why it might take you somewhere you don't expect given the initial conditions. (e.g. are you already signed in or not, do you have multiple browser windows already opened?)

I'll do some snapshots and provide a little more info on how to add to favourites, add to home screen or add to windows desktops.

Kevin, if you wish myCFN to remember the last location you visited and set that up in your link overriding the default location when you exit the system we can do that too. Let me know if it's of any use.

Last edited by cfn; 06-10-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:03 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Thanks Robert - I find that very helpful - hope others do too.
I'm sure they will. It was a great idea.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:33 AM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Thanks Rob,

The current logic works for me, I'm most often looking for opportunities at home, or very nearby, so my default location is preferred. The rest of the community would have different views depending on their needs. One aspect would be if your planning a trip to Coonabarabran in a couple of weeks, and you would like to see that location first when you logged in. Seems like a bit more logic would be required... and choices made by a person in their profile. Maybe a tick box to "Remember last location"? That leaves it in the person's control .
Old 06-10-2016, 08:05 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Thanks Rob,

The current logic works for me, I'm most often looking for opportunities at home, or very nearby, so my default location is preferred. The rest of the community would have different views depending on their needs. One aspect would be if your planning a trip to Coonabarabran in a couple of weeks, and you would like to see that location first when you logged in. Seems like a bit more logic would be required... and choices made by a person in their profile. Maybe a tick box to "Remember last location"? That leaves it in the person's control .
You currently can tick Coonabarabran as your preferred location in your locations to achieve this. To remember the last location visited we could add a toggle in the control panel to override the default location and leave it up to each user.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:05 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Remember Last Location Visited

Quote:
One aspect would be if your planning a trip to Coonabarabran in a couple of weeks, and you would like to see that location first when you logged in. Seems like a bit more logic would be required... and choices made by a person in their profile. Maybe a tick box to "Remember last location"? That leaves it in the person's control .
This is now implemented in your control panel as "Remember/Forget Last Location Visited". If you choose "Remember" the next time you log into myCFN you'll default to the last region/state and location you last viewed. If you set it to "Forget", which is also the default, the system will default back to your preferred location as set in your profile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (rem_for.jpg)
178.5 KB28 views
Old 06-10-2016, 01:15 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Great feature add! I like that implementation.

So far my predictions for my immediate area are running about 80% accurate, 90% of the time... I love the access to the higher resolution data!

Well done CFN!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:59 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Hi,

RobF,

I hope this helps...
Quote:
Couldn't have said it better.

Robert, the link is a process that logs you in and takes you to your preferred home page, so not a simple bookmark technically. There is a little logic behind what it does, this is why it might take you somewhere you don't expect given the initial conditions. (e.g. are you already signed in or not, do you have multiple browser windows already opened?)

I'll do some snapshots and provide a little more info on how to add to favourites, add to home screen or add to windows desktops.

Kevin, if you wish myCFN to remember the last location you visited and set that up in your link overriding the default location when you exit the system we can do that too. Let me know if it's of any use.

Thanks guys. I see a bookmark opened things exactly as expected this evening, so maybe I just had it confused with multiple open windows the other night. Will keep playing and learning. Very happy to have ACCESS data on hand again.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:54 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Enhanced Animations

myCFN supporters have access to enhanced playback for their animations. It is much faster and smoother. It also plays across a far wider time range.

Overlaid map animations (golden lock) might be a little taxing on older tablets' video hardware (iPads/Android). It is a limitation due to lack of RAM available or video hardware. This does not affect desktop computers.

There is now a toggle to throttle the animation mode to a lower setting for playback on legacy devices in your control panel.

Try which setting works best for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (enhanced_animation.jpg)
186.9 KB34 views
Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Thanks guys. I see a bookmark opened things exactly as expected this evening, so maybe I just had it confused with multiple open windows the other night. Will keep playing and learning. Very happy to have ACCESS data on hand again.
Good to hear. The encrypted link is the best way to securely access myCFN. It is also the simplest way. One click login.

The ACCESS-City data is great. Playing the first 36h will give you a very high resolution forecast for every hour. It is to date one of the best features on myCFN.

I encourage everybody to give it a go.
Old 20-10-2016, 10:21 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb 101 Meteogram Locations

We have increased our meteogram locations to 101.

All these locations are plotted on the satellite maps, radar maps, forecast maps (GFS/ ACCESS-City, ACCESS-R, ACCESS-G).

All meteograms go from 24h (ACCESS-City) up to 240h (ACCESS & GFS).

Any issues, let us know.
Thank you for your continued support.
Old 20-10-2016, 09:02 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb myCFN Video Capture

A quick screen capture of the four main areas of myCFN.

Meteograms / ACCESS-City Maps/ Satellite and Radar centered on Wiruna (ASNSW premier dark site) captured this evening in real time in Chrome on a standard ADSL connection (~4mbit/s).