Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Q: Why is the image so green when we know that is sinful?

A: We are being true to the light, and true to the astrophysics. As explained before, this region is not a post-supernova spectacular. It is a relatively peaceful (greenpeace?), youthful (greenhorn?) dainty (Daintree rainforest?) area, with very little SII. Trying to make it battle red [SII] when it isn't would be unfaithful to the light, and unfaithful to the physics. Embrace the green, for what it is telling us.

Best,
Mike and Trish
I don't often think of "Wolf-Rayet" and "peaceful" as having similar connotations, but I guess that depends on how close you are to one.

From this distance, that is a great image with lots of very interesting stuff going on - the colours bring out the underlying physics and thanks for the informative discussion .

Last edited by Shiraz; 01-03-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
I don't often think of "Wolf-Rayet" and "peaceful" as having similar connotations, but I guess that depends on how close you are to one.

From this distance, that is a great image with lots of very interesting stuff going on - the colours bring out the underlying physics and thanks for the informative discussion .
Thanks, Ray.

Aye, peaceful compared with an actual supernova, but noisy compared with here at the farm, with cattle quietly grazing.

I've started a tiny little research project: for a whole bunch of objects (or at least 36' arc regions including an object), set the zero point for each channel very carefully to the "foothill" of the histogram, so no data is lost, and then measure the average [SII], H-alpha, and [OIII] percentages for the region, just to try to find what is normal, and how consistent the ratios might be.

(Actually, today is not so peaceful. The neighbours seem to have purchased a new aeroplane and they're practicing touch-and-go landings once every three minutes. Their wheels are getting tangled in our washing. Hope they run out of fuel shortly. Otherwise, it's out with the photon torpedoes and the phasers)