Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-06-2022, 07:57 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Great catch Dennis. Awesome.
PS: Is that the Andromeda galaxy in the mosaic just above the tree at 2 o'clock?
Thanks Marc, I appreciate your comments and the M31 ID!

I also managed to grab M33 as well, this is an image that just keeps on giving up its secrets.

I guess you're counting down the days yo Astrofest now.

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B7192-7200-DBE-M31-and-M33.jpg)
195.8 KB31 views
Old 27-06-2022, 09:43 PM
zeddee (Zed)

Here goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I would encourage you to post your results, as they will stand alongside the efforts of others, based on what resources you had available at the time.

I do enjoy looking at what others have managed to capture, with whatever resources they have to hand. The more the merrier in my opinion.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. I am surprised that there is not many other posts of photos of this. Well, here goes mine: Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Jupiter. Saturn is off frame. I thought 16mm on Sony A7 was enough according to specs (108deg field, more on diagonal, no?) and what Stellarium indicated in the camera simulator. Location was out at the cliffs behind Bundeena. I did not quite get Saturn in there. Funny thing was, when viewing through finder, I thought I had it, but it was Formalhault I think. I did a resolve on Astrometry and confirmed suspicion when developing. This was 25th. So, I went back on the 26th and tried again. A bit more vapour (I think? felt wetter and colder) in the atmosphere, and hence with more light reflection gave the second one a different hue. I was sure I had it this time, but again, processing at home, realised I did not, making same mistake as night before. I swore a quiet swear in resignation and stayed upset with myself Sunday. I double checked lens angle of view, both specs and practically with rulers and grid sheet. Double checked stellarium. But too tired and work Monday morning, resigned to trying again in 900 years or whenever this happens again.
It would seem I got used to getting up at 4, that I woke at 4 with the alarm set at 6. I checked outside and realised the forecast was not accurate. Clear sky! So, I went again. This time I was careful, and checked and confirmed what I was looking at, and starting frame with Saturn. I failed to get it but i did confirm that my calculations were perhaps wrong and I physically could not get the entire span Saturn to Mercury (ideally horizon) in single frame. Discovery made me happy in a strange way, as did the sound of the whiles in the twilight off shore So I took a mosaic to stitch together. Will process over week.

A little about equipment and my method:
Sony 16-35G on Sony A7 (mark i, yes!). Standard tripod.
Took 5 set sequences at 1000 and 2000 ISO, all at f2.8, for 4 seconds (theoretical limit for point transit across pixel at 16mm ~ time before trails appear.) The night of 27 I took 10 seconds as well.
Stacked using Nebulosity. Processed with Lightroom. Results not too good. These are my two best (in my opinion). I had wanted to pull out the star fields more, however, I know the durations were not long enough, and was limited by no tracking.

My aim was to get the full scene in a single frame. Though Ive made some mosaics before, and call this a philosophical thing, to capture the event on a single frame I feel captures the event at that instant as a whole. Stitching a mosaic is different things at different times. (yes ok, stacking, and we can get into relativity here too if we want
So, there it is!
Honestly though, as other have said, important part is just to be out there... yes for the trying, but more importantly to simply be out there under the start, part of the cosmos in which we are a part of but forget in this little ball we are messing up. I always end my sessions with naked eye observing. Enjoying the view and getting lost in the mystery!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sequence02-stack-all.jpg)
179.5 KB35 views
Click for full-size image (ISO1000_01.00s_std175.jpg)
190.6 KB22 views
Old 27-06-2022, 10:51 PM
Averton (P and C)

Very nice images Zed. We particularly like the first image. Lots of stars showing and the colours of the sun rise on the horizon looks great
Old 28-06-2022, 08:10 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Thanks for posting those and the story behind them.

Great work Zed, that Sony lens produces nice round stars and shows little distortion at the edges when wide open - good glass.

Like you, I prefer the simplicity of the single shot approach, but I don't mind mosaics or stacking as needed, as long as it is clear that those were the techniques used to get the result.

You have some nice skies.

I also found it quite difficult to compare the small image on the rear LCD of the camera with the FOV in my planetarium program. Next time, (2040) I might take a Notebook and do a Plate Solve to establish that I was pointing in the right direction.

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT:
You have a trail of some object in your image. It doesn't look like an aeroplane which would have multiple, coloured lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Zed Conjunction.jpg)
55.7 KB31 views
Old 28-06-2022, 10:07 AM
Derek Klepp

Great effort Dennis.Always appreciate the work you put into these.
Derek
Old 28-06-2022, 06:46 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Klepp View Post
Great effort Dennis.Always appreciate the work you put into these.
Derek
Thanks Derek, it was an enjoyable session and a great relief to me that everything worked and I had all the pieces with me in the car after such a hurried start.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 29-06-2022, 08:53 AM
EpickCrom (Joe)
Epick Crom

Well done Dennis, stunning result!
Old 29-06-2022, 09:46 AM
zeddee (Zed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averton View Post
Very nice images Zed. We particularly like the first image. Lots of stars showing and the colours of the sun rise on the horizon looks great

Thanks. Yes, my best one I think too.
Old 29-06-2022, 09:48 AM
zeddee (Zed)

yes.... the plague of the microsats

Quote:

Great work Zed, that Sony lens produces nice round stars and shows little distortion at the edges when wide open - good glass.

Like you, I prefer the simplicity of the single shot approach, but I don't mind mosaics or stacking as needed, as long as it is clear that those were the techniques used to get the result.

I also found it quite difficult to compare the small image on the rear LCD of the camera with the FOV in my planetarium program. Next time, (2040) I might take a Notebook and do a Plate Solve to establish that I was pointing in the right direction.

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT:
You have a trail of some object in your image. It doesn't look like an aeroplane which would have multiple, coloured lights.

Yep, that one has onyl a single (or maybe one otther?) trail. Some other shots had half a dozen, courtesy of Musk and Bezos I think.
Old 29-06-2022, 09:51 AM
zeddee (Zed)

Quote:

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT:

THanks, and yes, I think a laptop is the way to go. If not for solving, then at least getting a proper view of the shot before firing.