Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-10-2022, 11:29 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Richard, I see what you mean. The Skywatcher site states 22lb. Below is the link to the shop I purchase my GTi from for the EQM35. Notice the 5.5kg limit in EQ mode and the image bottom left saying you can go to 10kg with mods. Very strange and confusing.

http://www.astroanarchy.com.au/Mount...EQ35_GoTo.html

I also found this review stating 10kg for visual and 6.5kg for photography in light weight mode.

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/r...tweight%20mode.

The more you read the more confusing it becomes

I just found another site stating 10kg for visual and 7kg for photography.

Here is the manual, last page stated 10kg payload for both manual and electric versions.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...-35_manual.pdf

Last edited by carlstronomy; 18-10-2022 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Manual
Old 19-10-2022, 12:51 AM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Neptune, or lack of it.

Neptune would not show up in synscan app, regardless of magnitude settings on or off, or set to 20 lol.
Would not show up by search either.
Saturn and Jupiter only listed at first, followed later by Uranus when it broke the horizon.
But no Neptune.
Any thoughts on why?
Old 19-10-2022, 08:27 AM
dikman (Richard)

Carl, makes you wonder just how the staff would explain it to someone. And makes me wonder how competent they are if no-one queried what they wrote.
Old 19-10-2022, 08:31 AM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Carl, check the classifieds.
I know what I'd be doing.
Old 19-10-2022, 10:15 AM
dikman (Richard)

Yes, I saw that ad, a great deal but too far away from me and shipping would be an issue. Pity. After sleeping (!) on it I just rang the Optical store in town and got them to hold the one they've got for me.

Edit: 3 hrs. later. Picked it up (it reminded me why I don't like going into Adelaide) and spent some time installing various bits of software so I could make it move. One of my Android tablets is apparently too old to install the app but the other one is fine. I'll probably be using a laptop with it so that doesn't matter. I have two tripods to use, the Manfrotto was the obvious choice just to get it mounted on something for now. It's a reasonably stable mount, as long as there's no wind, but I'll have to machine a better fitting baseplate for it. The other one is a Meade Field Tripod, massive overkill for this size mount but again I need to machine up an adaptor for it.

It's a bit noisy at times, but hey, it's got motors and gears so it's to be expected. I mounted my 102mm frac on it for now, to give it some weight, and it balanced easily (about 3 kgs). There's minimal discernable backlash for now, I expect it will loosen a bit with more use, and while it feels slightly stiff to move with the clutches released that will probably improve a little. I'll take the covers off later to see what sort of grease is in there and if it's a bit thick I'll replace it with something better. It looks like rain for the next few days so plenty of time to tinker with it. Lots of options in the menus too.
I like it!! Oh, and the guy said they have several on backorder but they have no idea when they'll get any, or how many.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (GTi mount a.jpg)
113.0 KB96 views

Last edited by dikman; 19-10-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 19-10-2022, 05:51 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Richard,
Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy the mount. Yes it is a little noisier than my EQ6 but it certainly is not in the same price range. When you are out at night it does not seem too bad. Looks good with your tube on it. I should post an image of mine with the Evolux, it looks mean

Both the computer control and phone control are good, I have connected it with Cartes du Ciel which worked great. I am going to purchase SharpCap Pro so I can plate solve the SCP.

Brisbane weather is going to be bad for the next couple of weeks so not too much I can do for now
Old 19-10-2022, 06:14 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlstronomy View Post
I am going to purchase SharpCap Pro so I can plate solve the SCP.
You can do it for free with NINA
Old 19-10-2022, 07:33 PM
dikman (Richard)

Thanks Carl, I'm feeling very happy about it, no regrets. I have quite a bit of work ahead of me, making suitable tripod adaptors, I'd like to get it working with Stellarium and also try out the Snap port connection to control the DSLR shutter, it might save buying an intervalometer.
Lots of fun ahead.
Old 19-10-2022, 08:02 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Well done on the purchase Richard.
Hope you get many many nights enjoyment out of it.
I'm loving mine.
Old 19-10-2022, 08:27 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
You can do it for free with NINA
Adam,
Thanks mate, time to download and play during the wet weather
I like free very much, but more importantly I love the removed reliance on one spot of sky.

Carl
Old 19-10-2022, 09:51 PM
dikman (Richard)

Thanks Rod. NINA, I've seen it mentioned a bit, is this something else I need to get? This tracking, guiding, astrophotography go-to stuff is a whole new rabbit-hole I appear to have gone down.
Old 19-10-2022, 10:07 PM
Rod-AR127 (Rod)

Yep, me too, l know nothing.
I'm just going to do visual observing g, maybe use my DSLR with a lens and muck about taking pictures of the moon or very wide field.
Saving for a guide camera now, or should l say, waiting for the Mrs to forget the last $2k of astro stuff.
Old 21-10-2022, 07:12 PM
dikman (Richard)

I fitted the mount to the Meade tripod and discovered I couldn't fit the counterweight due to the rather large baseplate that the Meade has! I shifted the weight bar to the upper position on the mount (clever design) and it was fine - but when I fitted the scope to check at extreme positions it might hit the legs, depending how it's configured. Bugger.
Now I'll have to make a short (4") riser for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (GTi and mount a.jpg)
101.5 KB91 views
Old 24-10-2022, 05:55 PM
dikman (Richard)

I forgot to mention my solution to the polar cap falling off, just apply a bit of heat (NOT too much) to the inside of the two locking tabs and bend them out slightly. This makes them springier and they should grip better.
Old 25-10-2022, 06:09 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
I forgot to mention my solution to the polar cap falling off, just apply a bit of heat (NOT too much) to the inside of the two locking tabs and bend them out slightly. This makes them springier and they should grip better.
I actually contacted SkyWatcher about that very issue and that was what the assistant said they did, but they also stated in the same sentence they would not recommend doing this. Typical response from a manufacturer, I have just left mine off for the moment. It does fit good until you use batteries in the mount, the clips actually fowl on the battery packs.

Quote: "Personally (and I am not saying to do this!), with mine I slightly warmed up the clip "arms" on the cap and bent them out a tiny bit so that they hold, and that has worked perfectly."
Old 26-10-2022, 10:54 PM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Clear skies in Brisbane tonight

Did the learning curve on NINA the other day in partial clear skies and was ready to hit the ground running tonight. Picked a clear part of the sky and carried out the polar alignment routine. Went very well indeed, I was very happy with the procedure for my first time. Carried out the following star tests on completion with no guiding

60 second sub round stars
120 second sub round stars
180 second sub not bad not really usable
240 second sub for not being guided and only my first attempt only a little worse than 180 second subs

For a travel mount when camping I think I am going to be extremely happy with this GTi.

If anyone is interested I can post some subs here.

One thing I noticed with NINA polar alignment, ever time you went to a different part of the sky and ran it again then it would ask you to change the mount position. Not by much but I found my tracking was best from my first setup and got worse after a secondary adjustment in another part of the sky. Obviously do it once and leave it

Last edited by carlstronomy; 26-10-2022 at 11:28 PM.
Old 27-10-2022, 08:12 AM
dikman (Richard)

Well done, I'm still battling my way through NINA (it would probably help if I knew what I was doing!).
Polar alignment, did you use the plate-solving add-on?
Old 27-10-2022, 10:21 AM
carlstronomy (Carl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikman View Post
Well done, I'm still battling my way through NINA (it would probably help if I knew what I was doing!).
Polar alignment, did you use the plate-solving add-on?
Yes, I download the 3 point polar alignment plugin and its required extra's. When using this there are two extremely critical settings.

1. Ensure the pixel size is set to your camera.
2. Ensure the focal length and ratio is set to your scope including any alterations a reducer/flattener will create if you are using one.

I missed setting both correctly the other day during my learning curve and the plate solve could not be carried out. Once set correctly last night the plate solve was almost immediate.
Old 27-10-2022, 10:58 AM
dikman (Richard)

Thanks Carl, I'll add those two settings to the (long) list of things to check! It's still raining/drizzly, my gear is set up in the lounge so I'll have another play later.