Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-01-2022, 04:01 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Queenslander!

Can't help but think this looks like a map of Queensland!

What can I say, you can take the boy out of Queensland, but ... yada, yada, yada! (Go the Maroons!)

BBW 56 - Not too many images of this large molecular cloud structure with ionization front. It's an interesting target that I visited previously.
Last time I only used HaS2N2, but on this occasion I was determined to capture some O3.
It's there - just dim - 9 hrs Bin 2x2 has revealed it's presence here (seen in blue).

BBW56 is one of 400 objects catalogued by Brand, Blitz and Wouterloot. The catalogue established in 1986 was based on a study to understand the outer galaxy rotation curve from the Southern Hemisphere.
As Brand, Blitz and Wouterloot researched the southern sky they catalogue various objects. Many of these objects are lesser known perhaps due to being extremely faint.

BBW56 is a complex nebula comprising of emission and dusty reflection nebulosity. The presented image is a small area of a much larger nebula structure residing in the constellation Puppis. (Jason Jennings)

Big thanks to my Buddy Paul who captured the Ha with Voyager, from his dark site while my gear was on holiday there.
Paul also captured some RGB stars for me with his own gear, which I've masked here with the HA from my gear, to allow the best of both worlds - tiny stars with natural colours.

Tis Here on Astrobin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (BBW56_HaO3S2_RGB_IIS.jpg)
178.2 KB206 views
Old 27-01-2022, 04:31 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Great result Andy, such a cool looking mystical object this one too and the collaborative capturing and combining has worked a treat, a very pleasing to the eye golden look

Sure does look like QLD too

Mike
Old 27-01-2022, 07:57 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Interesting target. Excellent, beautifully captured and processed. But is that a hard border on the bottom ...
Old 27-01-2022, 09:35 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Very fine. Collaboration makes sense. The HaRGB stars worked a treat.
Old 27-01-2022, 10:29 PM
gregbradley

A terrific image Andy and well done for capturing this unusual object.

It does look like Qld.

Greg.
Old 28-01-2022, 07:51 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Great result Andy, such a cool looking mystical object this one too and the collaborative capturing and combining has worked a treat, a very pleasing to the eye golden look

Sure does look like QLD too

Mike

Cheers Mike! I was raised in Gladstone, Central Qld, then worked half my career in Brisbane - so it's a tribute of sorts. Thanks for the good vibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Interesting target. Excellent, beautifully captured and processed. But is that a hard border on the bottom ...

Lol, maybe - at least unlike WA it's still attached to the mainland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Very fine. Collaboration makes sense. The HaRGB stars worked a treat.

Cheers M&T, I came up with an entirely new technique to mask the RGB stars - probably needs further refinement, but worked out ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
A terrific image Andy and well done for capturing this unusual object.

It does look like Qld.

Greg.

Many thanks Greg, pareidolia rules again!
Old 28-01-2022, 12:58 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Narrow band imaging not withstanding, I have long thought that deep sky images should capture the colours of nature. Ansell Adams, surprisingly worked with colour film for almost as long as he used black and white, but while he photographed vast fields of yellow blooms or red rocks bathed setting sunlight, he never found the need to shift the colour of chlorophyll to yellow or blue.

BBW56 is dominated by red H-alpha light. Yet it is shown here in golden tones. It’s a great image, but the colour assignment so arbitrary that it reminds me of 60’s Pop Art, rather than Astrophotography.

Perhaps to better express my view on this: Marilyn Monroe stunning visage did not need Andy Warhol to posterise her portrait, but that Andy was not interested in landscapes Pop Art treatment is hardly verboten, and if it floats your boat, then good for you.

There are many cool aspects to this rendering, but I would have been curious to discover what deep, dim and real colours might have lurked in this skyscape.
Old 28-01-2022, 04:26 PM
matlud (Mathew)

A great BBW56 Andy -a very interesting object and some lovely processing! Glad to see you picked up some of the OIII, it is super faint 👍 Was the OIII at the dark site as well?

Cheers,
Mat
Old 28-01-2022, 04:52 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Yep, definitely looks like a map of Queensland to be sure. I can see that much thought has gone into the composition and choice of colour palette and it makes for a spectacular and engaging result
Old 28-01-2022, 05:07 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Andy,
Lovely image with stunning detail
Big workload too
Well done !!
Map of QLD hmm... yep a chubby one after Xmas dinner
I prefer the Matterhorn in Switzerland
Cheers
Martin
Old 28-01-2022, 07:08 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Can't help but think this looks like a map of Queensland!
Andy that's a wonderful and unique image. Well done

One thing when I saw it I didn't immediately get Queensland, but rather in the right hand 2/3rds of your image, saw Mt Everest - the SW face near the Hillary Step, with a dark orange-brownish ridge line, orange snow and dark coloured exposed rock below that ... Very cool.

Great Image

Best
JA
Old 28-01-2022, 08:41 PM
Bart
Don't have a cow, Man!

Very nice Andy. Beautiful colors, superbly blended, lovely stars.
Old 29-01-2022, 12:53 AM
alan meehan (Alan)

Thumbs up

Andy thankyou for showing us a piece of the universe i have not seen before Lovely
Old 29-01-2022, 12:09 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlud View Post
A great BBW56 Andy -a very interesting object and some lovely processing! Glad to see you picked up some of the OIII, it is super faint 👍 Was the OIII at the dark site as well?

Cheers,
Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Yep, definitely looks like a map of Queensland to be sure. I can see that much thought has gone into the composition and choice of colour palette and it makes for a spectacular and engaging result
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Andy,
Lovely image with stunning detail
Big workload too
Well done !!
Map of QLD hmm... yep a chubby one after Xmas dinner
I prefer the Matterhorn in Switzerland
Cheers
Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Andy that's a wonderful and unique image. Well done

One thing when I saw it I didn't immediately get Queensland, but rather in the right hand 2/3rds of your image, saw Mt Everest - the SW face near the Hillary Step, with a dark orange-brownish ridge line, orange snow and dark coloured exposed rock below that ... Very cool.

Great Image

Best
JA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Very nice Andy. Beautiful colors, superbly blended, lovely stars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan meehan View Post
Andy thankyou for showing us a piece of the universe i have not seen before Lovely

Thanks Matthew, Rodney, Martin, John, Bart & Alan - appreciate the nice feedback and your taking the time to comment.

Matthew- the O3 was gathered from the 'burbs at bin 2x2.

Martin- you get a Gold Star for the 'Chubby Qld after Christmas Dinner ' remark

Everest, Matterhorn - it certainly does resemble a mountain as well
Old 29-01-2022, 12:39 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Peter thanks for your feedback - perhaps you too were channelling Ansel Adams when you chose the 'natural' colour palette for this image?
Mike Sidonio has produced a lovely, 'natural' HaRGB image of BBW56.

However, for Narrowband imaging it appears you mey be unfamiliar with the elemental composition of this object.

See Phillipe's image from Chile or Matthew Ludgate's from NZ which clearly show the strong presence of the S2 signal, running almost in parallel with the HA.

Following the traditional HST colour palette, when one assigns Ha to green, O3 to Blue and S2 to red - in this instance you'll get a strong yellow coastline from the overlapping blend of Ha & S2.
ie: Green & Red = Yellow.
In this instance, the colours were assigned to classic HST palatte, not assigned arbitrarily as you have incorrectly assumed.
FYI, I've attached the straight HST version of mine, before I tweaked the green to taste with selective colour in PS.

I too enjoy Ansel Adam's work, and Warhol's - as they are both very fine artists working with differing styles, may I suggest the world is big and diverse enough for us to appreciate both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 11.59.05 AM.jpg)
88.0 KB58 views

Last edited by Andy01; 29-01-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 29-01-2022, 01:47 PM
Emuhead (Andrew)

Another quality image with stunning colours! Very nice indeed. 9 hours of bin2 Oiii, shows persistence pays off. I'll get that Oiii so help me!! Well it looks great and adds nicely to the overall colour palette.
Old 29-01-2022, 01:55 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emuhead View Post
Another quality image with stunning colours! Very nice indeed. 9 hours of bin2 Oiii, shows persistence pays off. I'll get that Oiii so help me!! Well it looks great and adds nicely to the overall colour palette.

Cheers Andrew, appreciate the sentiments. I believe that Phillippe recorded 29hrs of O3, clearly he's a patient fellow!
Old 29-01-2022, 03:03 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Peter thanks for your feedback - perhaps you too were channelling Ansel Adams when you chose the 'natural' colour palette for this image? ..................

I did say from the outset...all bets were off when it comes to NB...plus my RGO image was actually monochrome ....but I rather like
Jason Jennings' rendition for colour accuracy.

I have had a prod at this one myself....and found the h-alpha data swamped SII and OIII....hence despite your and other fine NB examples of this object remain puzzled on the booming SII treatment. I may need to re-visit this space with my newer 3nm filter suite and see whether it revises my view.

Curiously Ansel Adams was never comfortable with film in the day to capture accurate colour and found B&W a more creative medium for his seminal works.

I suspect accurate colour deep sky images, even with all our digital bells and whistles, present similar challenges

Last edited by Peter Ward; 29-01-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 29-01-2022, 10:17 PM
alpal

Hi Andy and Peter,
an interesting chat about the colours in the final image.
I think if we wanted to be scientific we would post
3 mono B&W images of: Ha, S2 & O3.
Then we could see where the emissions were coming from?
Overall - I really like Andy's image as it does what I look for -
something spectacular to look at.

cheers
Allan
Old 29-01-2022, 11:12 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Hi Andy and Peter,
an interesting chat about the colours in the final image.
I think if we wanted to be scientific we would post
3 mono B&W images of: Ha, S2 & O3.
Then we could see where the emissions were coming from?
Overall - I really like Andy's image as it does what I look for -
something spectacular to look at.

cheers
Allan
Unfortunately 3 monochrome images don't have much wow factor...and kudos to Andy's rendition for keeping it interesting.

Blending NB data into RGB, to be fair, doesn't respect the light, but a gilt SII edge on a predominately H-alpha wave ....humm.....might be very cool..
and still preserve the overall hues of the vista.

As to whether the relative emissions here would even show that sort of structure who knows....

I find that "discovery" process, when it does occasionally happen, to be quite seductive.