Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-04-2022, 02:52 PM
leon

extra RAM for the Desk Top

Hi Guys I am thinking of adding a bit more ram to the desk top, so how do I find out which is the correct one to choose.

What it has is one modual of Kingston Brand RAM.

It has heaps of numbers on it but I am not sure which is the part number.

Thanks.

Leon
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0076.jpg)
58.1 KB52 views
Old 23-04-2022, 03:32 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

The number starting with KVR is your part number. Just check the MB to see what the max size DIMM/SIMM whatever they are now can go in.

https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/s...gn=&partId=kvr
Old 23-04-2022, 04:47 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Hi Guys I am thinking of adding a bit more ram to the desk top, so how do I find out which is the correct one to choose.

What it has is one modual of Kingston Brand RAM.

It has heaps of numbers on it but I am not sure which is the part number.

Thanks.

Leon
I recall David has a few spare DDR3 sticks.
Old 24-04-2022, 06:22 AM
leon

Excellent thank you for your responses.

Leon
Old 24-04-2022, 02:59 PM
leon

Hi guys my Desktop presently has 0ne 4Gig Modual of ram, there is room for another, so is it OK to double the ram or can i even go higher.

Thank you.

Leon
Old 24-04-2022, 03:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I don't think it can go past 8 gig.
Alex
Old 24-04-2022, 03:17 PM
leon

Yea I think you are right Alex, I have had a look inside and it has one spare slot, for which i might buy on more modual.

Thank mate.

Leon
Old 24-04-2022, 03:20 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Hi guys my Desktop presently has 0ne 4Gig Modual of ram, there is room for another, so is it OK to double the ram or can i even go higher.

Thank you.

Leon
It depends on your motherboard mainly.

Identify your motherboard and do a search for it's specs.

From a software perspective 32bit windows is limited to 4GB and 64bit windows is generally limited to 128GB unless running Windows Enterprise or Professional and than it can go up to 512GB.

Al.
Old 24-04-2022, 06:18 PM
astro744

Download CPUID as it will identify components in your system. Also places like Ramcity can identify and sell you what you need. Many other vendors offer this service either via an online app or simply answer a few questions.
Old 24-04-2022, 06:29 PM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Guessing by your machines I would say there would be a series of jumpers next to the memory slots, you need to change the jumpers to set the new memory size, wouldn't imagine it would self detect...
Old 24-04-2022, 08:05 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Lol looks like your ram it labelled ADOLF, that could be your problem. Shame you dont live close by to ring it round as i have a ton of unused spare ram and could upgrade you. But step one you do need to find exactly the make and model number of the motherboard, then grab the motherboard manual from the maker website. That will tell you exactly what ram is needed and where the slots are etc, and what the limitations are in terms of size. Also you should check the bios revision and look at the bios updates changelogs as a bios update may allow for better ram than the manual states. But you MUST be EXACT with everything, ram thats “close” in some respect wont work and likely to fry. If you dont understand take to someone who does or forget trying to upgrade.
Old 25-04-2022, 06:17 AM
leon

Hmmm, Steve I didn't realise it was such an exact sport, so to speak.

See I knew I was getting into territory that was a bit foreign to me.

Leon
Old 25-04-2022, 01:40 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

An Exact sport, is things have changed over the years. Many answers provided are generalisation for computers made in the recent past, but being someone used to making do I dont assume such. Your computer may have been an earlier one requiring ram with parity bits, or requiring matched pairs of ram stick or require certain timing values maybe motherboard jumpers to be set. But it all starts with identifying the motherboard version and revision as ram requirements I’ve seen change with revision numbers. So its easy to note down the first part of a model number but leave out the vital revision code at the end and therefore buy the wrong ram. Sometimes a feature allowing for more or faster ram is not yet available at time of release of the motherboard but not in the ram so they may make phyiscal provision for future upgrade by way of motherboard jumpers with a bios update too. So its why its best to get the motherboard manual and check the bios changes too for anything that improves or restricts ram options and of course update the bios. Then there’s the ram sticks themselves that all look the same and since they can be difficult to insert requiring some force at times I’ve seen the wrong types of ram not meant for the slot still be jammed in since they are all pretty much the same length with a notch in the edge somewhere so at casual glance they look about right.