Old 30-03-2022, 10:28 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

raspberrypi

Hi I am new to the above can you install the noobs and astroberry on the same mini SD card or use separate cards
Old 30-03-2022, 10:40 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Astroberry is a complete OS that incorporates INDI, Ekos, Kstars and a bunch of other installs related to Astrophotography.
I think Noobs is an operating system installation. You can still install other utilities with Astroberry.
Old 31-03-2022, 06:32 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

If I understood your question correctly there are tools to let you multiboot different RasPi OSes, but they are still all the same core OS really and you’re probably better off just installing the things you need into one OS. But you really want to minimise what you’re running, Rasberry Pi is very lightweight hardware not meant to be doing a hundred things at once. Its best to run as minimal hardware and software as needed for a single task to get the most from the platform. Eg dont just buy the latest and most expensive board option as it likely contains hardware you wont use but will be taking up the limited ram and some cpu power plus using power. Identify your requirement, buy only the board that lets you build a single use device and install only whats needed, rinse and repeat for other devices if you want to expand. Understand what the platform is, and its not a shrunk down PC and Arduino may be a better platform for many things too.
Old 31-03-2022, 11:59 AM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi Ian,

As Malcolm said, NOOBS and AstroBerry are two separate operating systems. You can't run both on the same SD card.

NOOBS is the generic RasPi operating system that can be anything and everything. You can make it a cheap desktop, a web / mail server, etc, etc.

Steve is also correct - buy a RasPi for each "project" and keep them separate. Don't try to run everything on one device - it's asking for pain.

Cheers,
V

Last edited by AstroViking; 31-03-2022 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Wonky linespacing
Old 31-03-2022, 05:36 PM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

One of the advantages the Pi has is that the OS is (traditionally but not always) on a removable SD card that you can swap as your need varies. These days you can also boot from an attached SSD or USB drive. I prefer the SSD method because it is much, much faster to load and run than an SD card and has far greater capacity.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:30 AM
TrevorP (Trevor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrid View Post
One of the advantages the Pi has is that the OS is (traditionally but not always) on a removable SD card that you can swap as your need varies. These days you can also boot from an attached SSD or USB drive. I prefer the SSD method because it is much, much faster to load and run than an SD card and has far greater capacity.
With the downside being that it adds one more thing to be added to a portable rig
Old 04-04-2022, 04:29 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Thanks all for your help finally got it working
Old 04-04-2022, 04:34 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

Hi Ian,

What was the root problem and the solution?

(That way, if other people hit the same problem they will have something they can investigate and try.)

Cheers,
V
Old 15-04-2022, 05:34 PM
I.C.D (Ian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroViking View Post
Hi Ian,

What was the root problem and the solution?

(That way, if other people hit the same problem they will have something they can investigate and try.)

Cheers,
V
Hi you can only put one OS on your mini sd card at anyone time
Old 18-04-2022, 11:56 AM
chromus (Phil)

ICD - if you need to ask this I am going to say you probably aren't yet ready for the trails and tribulations of Linux in the wild.

I recommend playing around with the Pi using RaspiOS for a while and get used to it before going on to Astroberry.

NOOBS - New Out Of Box is a Bootstrap package designed to help brand new peeps like yourself to get used to Raspi/Linux it helps you install a suitable OS for your needs.

Astroberry will have it's own image you will usually flash to the SD using a package called Balena Etcher

While it is physically possible to run more than 1 OS on an SD =-> don't outside of the NOOBS environment (Astroberry is outside).