Old 20-09-2021, 12:12 PM
Dave882 (David)

Some wide-field EAA

After weeks shooting planets at 5000mm and starting to see wavelet sliders in my sleep- I needed a change so decided to go wide. It’s been months since I had the Hyperstar out but with some nice big targets coming into view (and a few about to disappear) thought it was a good opportunity. With the almost full moon and shooting in Sydney B6/7 it was never going to be high quality but still worth some EAA- and the l-extreme can cut through some pretty aggressive sky glow.

So here’s a few from the night - all live stacked with ASIAIR pro and asi294mc pro on the edge800 on G11G2 and Hyperstar v4 @ f1.9 & l-extreme. Normally I just stick with one setup for the whole night but realised I stuffed up the spacing after a couple targets so had to pull it all apart again and start over

NGC2070 Tarantula Nebula (my favourite nebula and soo happy that it’s finally risen above the trampoline in the backyard before midnight!!!) I overdid the subs at 5min and blew out the core on this pretty bad but such an interesting field

NGC6992 Eastern Veil Nebula (wanted to get more of the surroundings but had to crop really hard due to crazy vignetting because of spacing stuff up)

M8 Lagoon Nebula (+some toes)

PSexpress touch ups on my phone: Crop, contrast, stretch and a played with saturation for Tarantula.

Thanks for looking!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1E6493A5-CC70-4479-A27A-933F27EB7FEC.jpg)
202.8 KB76 views
Click for full-size image (3EAB5EA2-E510-4900-AB3E-95AC12EF187A.jpg)
160.7 KB84 views
Click for full-size image (D4376E74-616A-487C-A4CB-D8F533272387.jpg)
112.0 KB72 views
Old 20-09-2021, 12:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Nice images David. Not sure I would call it EAA, with 5min subs. Your basically taking the hard part of traditional imaging away and letting ASIAIR do what the old tools do in traditional imaging. Same applies to Sharpcap (which i use).
If you were shooting short subs and using the stacking and alignment capability, and perhaps building up total exposure time, it gives you more control over saturation.
I use a ASI294MC (the uncooled one, as cooling is not necessary in true EAA short sub capture, imho). And being uncooled I never have to worry about the gradients produced by cooled 294s, which require Flats and other gymnastics in processing to cleanup.

Nice images.
Old 20-09-2021, 12:56 PM
PKay (Peter)

Good effort David.

Get rid of the trampoline?

Well done
Old 20-09-2021, 01:05 PM
Dave882 (David)

Thanks Glen- yeah I hear what you’re saying. I’ve done livestacking everything from 5sec to 10min subs- I’d call it all EAA if it doesn’t use traditional image stacking/processing. (My use of contrast and stretch is probably more a problem for the eaa purists!!).
And it depends on what your goals are. There’s some stuff that simply doesn’t get picked up on shorter subs no matter how long you leave it running and vice versa. Was just in the mood for some wide field stuff and seeing what was lurking in the shadows. Probably mix it up again tonight if it stays clear!

Interesting what you said about the gradients- I actually had the uncooled 294mc I had been using previously and had gradients pretty bad there and was hoping with upgrade to cooled pro version it would reduce but it’s exactly the same. I think it’s more a function of the light pollution rather than the camera IMO.

Cheers mate and hope you can get out under the stars soon too!
Old 20-09-2021, 01:15 PM
Dave882 (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Get rid of the trampoline?
Hmmm and maybe swap it for one of those new white dome-shaped trampolines with the roof that swivels round and has a neat little skylight? I see them advertised on here all the time
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B2B0A73C-927E-4D61-A3AA-077EACE1F88C.jpg)
34.2 KB32 views