Old 23-03-2013, 08:34 PM
pvelez (Pete)

D'Oh!

Had the scope running using CCD Autopilot for 90 minutes while I watched a movie with my kids.

I couldn't work out why the images didn't plate solve and I had a blank image

You guessed it - still had the cover on. Had left it on while I took darks earlier.

As Homer would have said - D'oh!

Pete
Old 23-03-2013, 08:49 PM
leon

Ahhh Pete, we have all been there, there must be hundreds of stories floating around IIS of similar D'Oh! events

Leon
Old 23-03-2013, 09:12 PM
h0ughy (David)

oh that precious - right up there with the focus mask left on the whole session
Old 23-03-2013, 09:23 PM
RB (Andrew)

Or the time when I was wondering why I couldn't live focus the full moon on my DSLR through the ED80 even if I pushed it to ISO 3200.
Realised later I still had the solar filter on from earlier in the day when I was doing solar imaging.

At least my eyes were safe from the full moon's harmful rays.

Old 23-03-2013, 09:59 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Or the time when I was wondering why I couldn't live focus the full moon on my DSLR through the ED80 even if I pushed it to ISO 3200.
Realised later I still had the solar filter on from earlier in the day when I was doing solar imaging.

At least my eyes were safe from the full moon's harmful rays.

Andrew, around full Moon it gets bright enough to shoot through a Baader filter with my C8. And you don't get your night vision stuffed.
Old 24-03-2013, 10:10 AM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

At an astrocamp in 1979, a friend of mine hand guided an exposure for 30 minutes. When I say hand guided, the scope had no motor drive, he was turning the knob on the end of a flex cable by hand to track the scope and camera - quite common in those days.

I wasn't at that astrocamp but I heard about it afterwards. He finished the exposure and then next thing there was a series of loud expletives when he discovered his camera was set to 1/125s not bulb.

It seems to me that these days, if you make a mistake like that but the automation is doing all the work while you are inside enjoying watching a movie with the kids, it's no real loss.

Joe
Old 24-03-2013, 10:55 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post
Had the scope running using CCD Autopilot for 90 minutes while I watched a movie with my kids.

I couldn't work out why the images didn't plate solve and I had a blank image

You guessed it - still had the cover on. Had left it on while I took darks earlier.

As Homer would have said - D'oh!

Pete
LOL - Have you ever done an imaging session through a bathinov mask? Should be next on your list. Pretty diffraction spikes.
Old 24-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

1. Plug the RA cable into the Dec motor and the Dec cable into the RA motor and spent ages checking out the software/ firmware to find out what's wrong.
2. Image with the Bahtinov mask in place.
3. When imaging with a dslr have the camera set to small jpg instead of raw.
4. Knock the tripod at minute 29 of a 30 min sub.
5. Walk away from the scope while it's taking pics and come back to find you'd forgotten to turn on the dew heater and the object lens is dripping.
6. Move the scope around trying to find a guide star and then forget to check that your main object is still framed reasonably.
7. Sit watching the computer, wondering why the guiding has gone haywire, then looking up and seeing that it has clouded over.
8. Etc, etc
Geoff
Old 24-03-2013, 01:53 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith45 View Post
1. Plug the RA cable into the Dec motor and the Dec cable into the RA motor and spent ages checking out the software/ firmware to find out what's wrong.
Done that twice in the past two weeks although I spotted it within 5min. Must be getting old. Or stupid. Or both.
Old 24-03-2013, 02:28 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks Team - I don't feel any less stupid, but at least I am in fine company.

I was bagged by my daughter about this earlier today - even though she was the one complaining that I kept fiddling with the iPad rather than watching the movie with her. I even went outside and resynced the scope to make sure that I could plate solve - clearly my CCD can't see through the plastic cover!

Pete