Old 23-03-2013, 01:17 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

STF3800 filters and filter wheel.

I've just purchased a SBIG STF3800m imager and I guess I need to start thinking about som filters and a filter wheel.

The conundrum I have is this, do I go SBIG 36mm or standard 2" filters. If I go the sbig route everything fits nicely together and is convenient as the filter wheel plugs into the camera, minimising cables. But this route locks me in. I've been looking at the Bader LRGB and narrow band filters, but SBIG offer the Astrodon filters as well but they are more expensive is the much difference in the two? Then there is resale value, 36mm is pretty niche.

If I buy the 2" filters and filter wheel, I'll be able to use them with what ever camera I buy in the future, but will 2" filters on this camera and 714mm focal length cause vignetting?

Am I missing something?

Thanks s
Sandy
Old 26-03-2013, 07:44 AM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I've no practical experience here, but from what I've been reading/researching, I think you're correct.

Perhaps, if you get the SBig STF8300m and get the filters, you might think of it as a "package" deal and if/when you resell, sell the lot at once?
Old 27-03-2013, 07:04 PM
naskies (Dave)

High end 36 mm filters were much cheaper than 2" filters when I looked. SBIG's FW-8300 and OAG-8300 solutions are nice because they integrate together nicely with the STF-8300 with a total back focus of 57 mm, and can also work with Canon lenses (w/o the OAG).
Old 28-03-2013, 08:44 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Thanks guys.

Food for thought.