Old 18-03-2013, 11:56 AM
hotspur (Chris)

SD Card issues,can data be extracted?

Had a 32 GB card come in out of the field from a Trail Camera this morning,popped it into laptop,but the best I get out of it so far is a 'pop up'
saying 'The disc in E drive is not formatted -do you want to format now'

Never had this issues with this card before,I checked the lock on the side,but as I did so,it fell out. Its a cheaper brand card from Ebay 'Master' brand,so its looking like I'm paying the price for buying a cheap brand card ,so an expensive lesson. (course it would have to gone bad,when its known some interesting critters have been about)

Is there any chance a more experienced person,could get data collected from card?

Thanks for any advice (not people here on IIS these days-but thought I'd ask here).

One thought could be the card has 'filled up' with data,and the machine kept trying to put more data on it.

I've heard prop togs say,they never totally fill a card,as it could cause issues,maybe this has happened on this occasion?
Old 18-03-2013, 12:03 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

yes depending
Old 18-03-2013, 12:26 PM
hotspur (Chris)

What doe it depend on Dan?

I am thinking the card is filled up with data-I switched it to two second intervals,but the crows would have been on the carcass all day,triggering the motion camera.it had nearly nine hours of collecting ability,but it appears be likely to be filled.

I've heard some wedding photographers say the always leave one frame on a card,and never fill it,as it could cause issues-I've never experienced that problem in any of my DSLR's,but maybe others would like to comment.

Be curious to see if the data can be extracted from this card,the dingos came in at night to feed on carcass,but the card may have been filled before then,anyone up to play CSI data extraction from card
Old 18-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

My usual is to Boot Puppy Linux from a CD since it doesn't need to install to ur drive. U can usually see ur problem drive and drag the files to another.
Worth a try

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%...%20Release.htm

It can easily deal with DOS Windows partitions inc NTFS etc, tends to ignore the problems Win usually finds in these circumstances and is an easy graphical interface

Good Luck. A very annoying problem to have.

Trevor
Old 19-03-2013, 11:06 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

I'm not sure whats happening, but could you not try putting the card back in the camera and just delete a few frames Unless Im missing something ?
Old 20-03-2013, 06:04 AM
bojan
amateur

Do not touch frames, or delete anything.
I had a similar problem in the past - and the solution was reading from another computer, running Linux.
Old 20-03-2013, 06:42 AM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Do not touch frames, or delete anything.
I had a similar problem in the past - and the solution was reading from another computer, running Linux.
Yes,will be doing that,and looking at @Regulus's suggestion.(thanks for that

I cannot put the card in camera,and delete a few frames,as the camera has no play back-its a 'Trail Camera',not a regular point and shoot or DSLR.Some models do have play back,and some do not.

The card appeared to have no data on it,when I checked to see how much space on it whenI left it in the camera and turned it on and walked away,I'll check the reading when I pop the card back into that particular camera.I have noticed that some of these T/C's
are very fussy about having cards formatted,and I never swap and use different cards in different cameras. Some makes of T/C's are much 'easier' to get along with,although the trade off is poorer quality data.

Although,the card its self may have just died,I had a closer look at and check the lock,as I did so the little plastic lock bit fell off,and I noticed that side had all cracked open.So big lesson here for all here-regardless of the photographic assignment -use decent brand cards !,I always use the very best in my DSLR for wedding and chicks,but thought I'd get away with cheap card for lowly dingos,but paid the price-they are not cheap cards in the long run.

Last edited by hotspur; 20-03-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 20-03-2013, 11:52 PM
John0z (John)

I could try to recover the data from this card if you like - I have software that can read the raw data from the card since I do data recovery on disks including flash memory like this. Now, it is possible that the 32GB card is not actually 32GB but is smaller - i.e. 16GB cards that appear to be 32GB but as soon as you write more than 16GB to it, it goes a bit crazy and weird. A number of these cards have been seen in the past - usually usb sticks though.
Old 21-03-2013, 09:26 AM
acropolite (Phil)

This is interesting, I had a similar experience with a memory stick and Win7.

The memory stick (Genuine Sandisk 32Gb Cruzer 20 odd Gb used) was working perfectly and has been since new (6 months or so). After plugging in to my Win7 machine at home I had the same problem, unreadable.

Popped back in to an XP machine, the same problem, same message "not formatted do you wish to format now".

I ran a recovery tool, I think it was PC inspector, which fixed the problem, the stick was then perfectly readable in any of several XP machines and I was able to copy all the data off as a precaution.

The stick however , is still unreadable in the Win7 machine.

This leads me to believe that there are some issues with Win7's handling of flash memory devices, now I think back this isn't the first time I've seen a problem with a flash card after plugging in to a Win7 machine.

I've also noticed that Win 7 will usually offer to "scan and fix" a flash device when inserted and have learned from experience that allowing it to do so usually results in destruction of the data.

Pc Inspector is free and can be downloaded at http://www.pcinspector.de/smartrecov...htm?language=1

FWIW it's possible to format a memory stick with NTFS using this simple procedure. http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/04...in-windows-xp/

Last edited by acropolite; 21-03-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 21-03-2013, 08:39 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
FWIW it's possible to format a memory stick with NTFS using this simple procedure. http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/04...in-windows-xp/
Formatting removable devices as NTFS usually means you can't unplug them. Unless of course you are using them on a Linux box.
Old 21-03-2013, 09:42 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks John,Phil and Andrew, I've had a few emails with John-so most appreciative of thoughts and help from all.

Phil,that is interesting to read-yes-its the same pop up info,but I get it on the old XP machine,and the newer win7 one.Your suggestion is helpful-and hopefully that,or John's magic might work,I do not know anyone locally running Linux.

I am off at a very ungodly hour in the morning to where the camera is,so I'll take that card and see if,when put in camera-what space is left on it,the card the grazier replaced it with should hopefully have some data on it,maybe the camera is at fault.But think buying very cheap unknown SD card brands of ebay will be avoided.

I asked what these hardcore Trail Cammers in U.S use as far as cards go,Sony-apparently is highly favoured,the build quality of case is highly thought off,and no one has mentioned issues with that brand.

Over all,I cannot expect such camera activities to come out totally unscathed all the time-putting a little box on a tree to take photos of wild dogs and other creatures in the middle of no where,in extreme heat and rain,surprised this is the only hiccup I've had.