Old 18-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Star Hunter

SSAG calibration woes with EQ6Pro mount

I have an EQ6 Pro mount and a 60/800mm g/scope with an Orion SSAG. I just can't get the camera to calibrate after 50 iterations and that's after adjusting the RA steps in the PHD software. The message box says: Not enough RA movement of star to calibrate' or words to that affect.

Has anyone got their EQ6 Pro to work on this camera and if so, what settings did you use?

Thanks,

James
Old 18-03-2013, 12:48 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Ah, so you have got the good ol " star did not move enough" message.
I had the same thing quite a while ago and cant exactly remember but I think you just have to click on the brain "settings" and change the RA calibration steps to I think it was about 750. and I think that should fix it. I do remember it was just something simple like changing one or two of the settings like that.
Hope that fixes it.

Cheers Daniel.
Old 18-03-2013, 04:37 PM
gbeal

I'd try what Daniel suggests. In my case I use an old converted 6x30 finder, and need about 2000 or so set as the calibration steps. More if I'm near the pole. You didn't mention where you were calibrating.
Gary
Old 18-03-2013, 05:15 PM
alistairsam

Hi James,

How are you controlling the mount, pulse guiding or the ST4?
can you make out the star moving at all?
one way to easily test is use the manual control button in phd to move east or west and make sure that phd can move the mount.
I've had the same issue when my st4 cable was faulty, in one case not connected, and another where pulse guiding commands weren't being recognized by the mount.
once you're sure it can be controlled via phd, then set your calibration steps to 1500 or 2000. although 2000 might result in too few steps.
what main scope are you using?
Cheers
Old 18-03-2013, 05:34 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Had the issue only ONCe - and it was entirely the CAMERA fault, and ine - I had selected a hot or dead pixel - the dark subtraction didn't remove it. So, of course, running the routine, it did NOT move. LOL.

Now I use auto-select most of the time, and defocus and refocus the cam JUSt to be sure it's a star

And, despite what a LOT of others say, I find if I do NOT set my refresh to BELOW 1s, I get pretty average results. I usually run it at 0.2s refresh, and get GOOD results, and still acceptable star illumination MOSt of the time (I just move the guide scope if there is not one bright enough at 0.2s. Now, I have been told that that can be BAD information, so use it at your own peril Whatever works I say.