Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 16-03-2013, 10:12 PM
naskies (Dave)

RC8 reducer with generous metal back distance

Hi everyone,

I currently have my GSO RC8 scope + SBIG STF-8300M camera working in the following configuration on my EQ6 mount

RC8 --> Moonlite SCT focuser --> AP CCDT67 reducer --> Baader 2" nosepiece --> SBIG OAG-8300 guider --> SBIG FW8-8300 filter wheel --> STF-8300M camera

which gives me 1.02'' / pixel at the CCDT67's maximum reduction.

Unfortunately, there's no room to fit my Starlight Xpress Adaptive Optics unit (not enough inwards travel on the focuser). The AO, however, works great without the reducer.

Any suggestions for another reducer to make it all work? By my calculations, I'd need at least 38 mm (camera & FW) + 19 mm (OAG) + 38 mm (AO) = 95 mm metal back distance behind the reducer, not including any additional adapters/nosepieces.

I've found two reducers that may work:

1. Astro-Physics 27TVPH (up to 118 mm metal back distance) - but I'd have to figure out how to attach it to the Moonlite/RC8 and the SX-AO unit (M42 or M48 thread).

2. Teleskop Service TSFLAT2 (109 mm metal back distance) - which only leaves 14 mm, which is too little for the Baader nosepiece so the metal back distance will probably be exceeded by 10-20 mm.

Any ideas would be most welcome!
Old 16-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Tandum (Robin)

You could also replace the focuser with a PDF.
Old 16-03-2013, 11:28 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Dave,

I think I figured out I could just get my SX H-18 kit with AO to work with the 27TVPH on my RC10 (Atlas focuser) but it was going to need yet another custom adapter to minimize back focus use and I never got around to it. It's a really tight squeeze!

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 18-03-2013, 12:32 AM
naskies (Dave)

Thanks gents - the PDF/Atlas focuser idea seems to be a good one, although I don't think I'm game to gamble so much money on adapters/focuser/etc that might or might not work...

Another option I guess would be to shoot everything at 2x2 (1.38'' / pixel) and 3x3 binning, and get lots of practice at stitching mosaics. That would preserve more back focus for a possible camera rotator... hmmm choices choices.