Old 21-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Plate solving is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

It is essential when building mosaics!

H
Old 21-03-2013, 12:50 PM
alistairsam

Hi,

I don't mean to detract, I know SGPro can automate flats, but can you program it to take flats at a particular time, say 5am or 5:30am for the appropriate ADU range and then park the mount to avoid accidental pointing at the sun when it rises?
I've tried running the trial, but always had windows errors.

I can currently auto park using eqascom, but it would be good if the capture software can do that after the flats sequence.
and do you really need a T-shirt if you're taking flats at dawn as the sky would be pretty evenly lit if there are no clouds.
Thanks
Old 21-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

I cant see why you couldn't program it to point at a particular RA/Dec and take short flats exposures, then park.... I'm pretty sure it will do things at various times also....
Old 22-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

Another thing I found very useful was focusing, I just pulled out Starry Night, looked for a little asterism of moderately bright stars, it slewed there/solved/corrected in about 60s.... love it!
Old 22-03-2013, 05:59 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Can SequenceGenerator Pro handle the STL with its built-in guide camera?

H
H
Apparently this is going to come in the pipeline. Have a look at the yahoo site for the latest as I think they are seriously thinking of implementing this as a new step.
Another thing is it now uses astronomy.net in combination with Elbrus to plate solve. If Elbrus fails to plate solve it will then do it blindly over the Internet, sync the mount and then center the mount to where you want it.
Allan
Old 22-03-2013, 06:01 PM
allan gould

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairsam View Post
Hi,

I don't mean to detract, I know SGPro can automate flats, but can you program it to take flats at a particular time, say 5am or 5:30am for the appropriate ADU range and then park the mount to avoid accidental pointing at the sun when it rises?
I've tried running the trial, but always had windows errors.

I can currently auto park using eqascom, but it would be good if the capture software can do that after the flats sequence.
and do you really need a T-shirt if you're taking flats at dawn as the sky would be pretty evenly lit if there are no clouds.
Thanks
Yes it can if you download the program you will see definite start, stop and park times are available?
It has a routine to automate the acquisition of flats at different binning settings and populate the sequence. All done automatically for a user defined ADU level.
Allan
Old 22-03-2013, 09:26 PM
batema (Mark)

I think what i understand from this id plate solving programs allow you to take a photo of a section of sky and the programs recognise where you are and then you can ask the program to goto an object and when you take a photo it will point the object central. Or if you have already taken an image and want to continue the next night this plate solving will move you scope to exactly where the previous image was taken with relation to the stars. Am i sort of right ?????

Mark
Old 22-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

The 'plate solve' is software that analyses the stars in an image, and works out where you are - ie the RA/Dec of centre of frame.
The software can use this to tell the mount where to go....

With SGPro - I manually typed in the RA/Dec of M83, and told it to goto it - it slewed the mount to this area, took an image, plate solved that image, then issued a correction slew to the mount (as the initial slew was off) - then it takes another image, plate solves that, and issues further corrections until you are happy with where you are pointing.
You can also give the program your image from a previous session, it can plate solve that one, then line up your scope exactly on that spot again....
It's VERY cool....

have a play by uploading images (or crops from images) to nova.astrometry.net - you can see the info you get....
Old 22-03-2013, 09:45 PM
batema (Mark)

Thankyou Lee.
Old 24-03-2013, 01:33 PM
gbeal

I'm about to re-plunge here, and was to embarrassed to seek help.
A while back I used Maxim and the USNOA catalog to solve and slew, when I used a "real" CCD camera.
Since using just DSLR's of late I had considered I was unable to solve. Maybe, maybe not, so I ask.
I use Cartes de Ceil, and connect the NEQ6 to it with EQASCOM. I am NEVER connect to the Internet.
Given I don't use any other listed supported/compatible cameras, I assume I can't use SGP?
My cameras are either a Sony or Fuji DSLR.
If I get serious again it will possibly extend to an old and cheap QHY8 so using Maxim is an option, but right now I'd like to know if I can solve with the gear I have. Both cameras can present an image in the PC so the question is can I work with that as is?
Gary
Old 24-03-2013, 02:33 PM
allan gould

Gary
SGP will work with an ASCOM mount ie eqmod and DSLR or a qhy8 camera. The plate solving is via Elbrus which is free and doesn't need an Internet connection. There is a 45 day free trial so you can use it with your system and make sure it all works. There is a yahoo site if you have any questions or you can pm me if you want
Allan
Old 24-03-2013, 03:48 PM
swannies1983 (Dan)

Gary, see my earlier post. I image with a modded Canon 30D and plate solve using Astrotortilla, which is free and doesn't require an internet connection (once you have downloaded the star catalogues).
Old 24-03-2013, 03:53 PM
gbeal

Allan/Dan,
Appreciate the replies guys, really.
I've had a bit of a glance at both and if anything I reckon the sticking point is the fact that my choice of DSLR can't be controlled by the required software. Neither SGL nor AstroTortilla List Sony or Fuji as controllable. I have looked at the PDF from AstroTortilla and it appeared that you can simply point the file selection to a point on the hard drive, so maybe I could get around it by that.
It would be nice if someone else out there was using either/both and without a actually using the camera control software, Maxim/Nebulosity for example.
Gary

Last edited by gbeal; 24-03-2013 at 04:18 PM.