Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-09-2021, 04:30 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Going Solo

The one that must be obeyed has issued me with strict instructions to tidy up my office, and toss out old tax files, work memos, magazines etc.

While sorting it all I discovered the attached WAC chart (World Aviation Chart) but this one had my very first pilot solo navigation exercise inscribed on it!!
(Jurassic circa 1978).

GPS had not been invented then. Memories of navigating by map, compass, time and 1 in 60 rules came flooding back.....sigh...

In this digital age, I am curious to know whether anyone still uses aviation charts and the like. If so, in what context?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (FirstNavEx.jpg)
204.2 KB120 views
Old 15-09-2021, 05:01 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Got your Vector Victor, Your Clearance Clarence ... Roger Roger

Went Solo in a Glider ... didn't need maps or anything but the little string on the canopy.

When I did a bit of powered flying back in the 80's I used those charts on Navigation Flight along with ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Vintage-Kane-Dead-Reckoning-Computer.jpg)
185.4 KB80 views
Old 15-09-2021, 07:50 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Got your Vector Victor, Your Clearance Clarence ... Roger Roger

Went Solo in a Glider ... didn't need maps or anything but the little string on the canopy.

When I did a bit of powered flying back in the 80's I used those charts on Navigation Flight along with ...

I would call them ' Prayer Wheels ' ... when all else fails , use one of these.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:06 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Not sure if you ever used them Peter, but do you remember "Sight reduction tables for air navigation"? Basically a set of solutions of selected bright stars for a particular latitude and local hour angle. They were used in aircraft as they could give rapid results. The error could be as much as 5 miles, not such a problem with fast flying aircraft. Some ship's officers used to like using them to avoid the tedious working out of sights with log tables.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:24 PM
Venter (Michael)

Absolutely Peter….I did my PPL nearly 40 years ago and still fly with paper maps (incl a WAC) together with all the latest bells and whistles like GPS. So easy these days with an iPad and Bluetooth GPS. I still use the ‘wheel’ for some calculations, much quicker in bumpy air than punching into a calculator!
Old 15-09-2021, 10:14 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

As someone who’s piloting experience maxes out at RC helicopters, I’m curious to know if you could safely navigate an A380 across the Pacific if the GPS, etc and radio died halfway across?? Is there a “paper backup” in your briefcase?

DT
Old 16-09-2021, 10:37 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
As someone who’s piloting experience maxes out at RC helicopters, I’m curious to know if you could safely navigate an A380 across the Pacific if the GPS, etc and radio died halfway across?? Is there a “paper backup” in your briefcase?

DT
The A380 has serious levels of redundancy, hence if the USA shuts off the GPS system, its laser gyro based inertial navigation will do just fine....and if all else fails, a clock and a compass

Paper charts are not carried any more.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 16-09-2021 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 16-09-2021, 01:42 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
While sorting it all I discovered the attached WAC chart (World Aviation Chart)
Hi Peter,

You're the pilot but semantically wasn't WAC meant to stand for "World Aeronautical Chart" rather than "Aviation"? A rose by any other name

"WAC chart" was also one of those redundant things like "PIN number".
What became known as "RAS syndrome" for "redundant acronym syndrome"

I still have a stack of them and a Kane Dead Reckoning Computer.
Old 16-09-2021, 03:52 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Yeah,

They're still handy when playing with Flight Simulator.....

(I solo'd in Whiskey Hotel Alpha back in 1998 at Bendigo)
Old 16-09-2021, 05:59 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Hi Peter,

You're the pilot but semantically wasn't WAC meant to stand for "World Aeronautical Chart" rather than "Aviation"? A rose by any other name

"WAC chart" was also one of those redundant things like "PIN number".
What became known as "RAS syndrome" for "redundant acronym syndrome"

I still have a stack of them and a Kane Dead Reckoning Computer.
You are indeed correct, "Aeronautical" is what the "A" stands for.
After a lifetime spend with dealing with TLA's, (three letter acronyms)
you'd think I'd know better
Old 16-09-2021, 09:35 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
The one that must be obeyed has issued me with strict instructions to tidy up my office, and toss out old tax files, work memos, magazines etc.

While sorting it all I discovered the attached WAC chart (World Aviation Chart) but this one had my very first pilot solo navigation exercise inscribed on it!!
(Jurassic circa 1978).

GPS had not been invented then. Memories of navigating by map, compass, time and 1 in 60 rules came flooding back.....sigh...

In this digital age, I am curious to know whether anyone still uses aviation charts and the like. If so, in what context?

Gawd, my instructing time with SQ sure made me see both Pingelly and Cunderdin more than a few hundred times (and half those cadets still managed to get lost going out over the escarpment...tress heavens forbid, something Singaporeans don't see a lot of LOL)

One of my favourite memory of those years was taking over from a cadet, pulling the power, rapid decent and superbly execute short field landing at Beverley so I could take a wizz by the trees...then getting back in - my aeroplane still, demonstrating true STOL departure at max angle...(which isn't that impressive in a C172 LOL). Or the time in the training area watching a negative ground speed (GPS and observed) as I held it just above the stall at full flaps showing the cadet it was possible to not only imitate a helicopter, but to fly backwards too (strong sea breezes as I am sure you remember Peter).

On one of my last sorties there, a fast building CB came off Rottnest and all cadets were recalled solo post-haste. I was out with a cadet so took over as the crosswind was rapidly increasing. Asked the tower for wind calls all the way down final so I could divert if absolutely necessary...just after I touched (kicked straight at the last second, no wing down technique), the tower said "Smart arse...that was a 18knot crosswind comp"... just a little above the school max for solo (10 knots) and a tad over the demonstrated max Xwind on the aircraft. Meh...several hundred hours on a Tiger Moth taught me what my feet are for.

Not a single day goes by that I don't miss it. Dream it still to this day, watch it out my window at home (not that there's much movement with COVID)

PS: my first solo NAVEX was YBAF-YTWB (OCTA via Lake Moogerah) - YTWB-Lake Moogerah-Park Ridge-YBAF - short one, diversion back to base due WX
Old 16-09-2021, 10:23 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Quote:
The A380 has serious levels of redundancy, hence if the USA shuts off the GPS system, its laser gyro based inertial navigation will do just fine....and if all else fails, a clock and a compass

Paper charts are not carried any more.
Thanks,

Out of curiosity, when did QF stop carrying paper charts? When did the tech in the aircraft make them redundant? And for how many years did they keep carrying them, just in case?

DT
Old 16-09-2021, 11:50 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
Thanks,

Out of curiosity, when did QF stop carrying paper charts? When did the tech in the aircraft make them redundant? And for how many years did they keep carrying them, just in case?

DT
While in QF I only flew the B747/B767/B744/A380 hence cannot say, since retiring, if/what other types may still be carrying paper charts.

From memory the A380 did not carry paper approach charts some 6-7 years ago. (replaced by a Jepp-app on company issued i-pads)
...but recall large scale Jepperson enroute charts were plonked on the centre pedestal "just to be sure".

As the A380 fleet is still in mothballs...and I have since retired...sorry, I have no insider information on what the new policy might be.
Old 20-09-2021, 01:52 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Here's old school
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (pilot.jpg)
88.6 KB55 views