Old 13-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Gasmanwill (Will)

First Jupiter

Hey IIS

thought i would post my first Jupiter shot !

Meade LX200ACF 10'
TV powermate x2
ZWO ASI462

top 10% stacked from 120s videos, Autostakkert, Registax and PS
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jup 4-9-21 a.jpg)
34.4 KB139 views
Old 13-09-2021, 12:21 PM
AdamJL

A 2 x Powermate on 2500mm focal length and a tiny sensor camera... You sir, are brave! And what a result. That's as good as it gets Congratulations!
Old 13-09-2021, 03:34 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Excellent Jupiter image, very sharp detail, almost too sharpened maybe but a great effort anyway. 5 metre focal length certainly helps get in close and must have been good seeing for you.
Will look forward to seeing more of your images in the future if this one is anything to go by.
Old 13-09-2021, 04:01 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

Will,
Wow that’s a great close up of Jupiter- some intricate detail showing in the bands and heaps to scour over- great work!
Anth
Old 13-09-2021, 07:14 PM
Tony Leece

Superb image brother
Old 14-09-2021, 06:57 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Great Jupiter! Detailed and colourful.
Old 14-09-2021, 07:32 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

What program did you sharpen the final in PS with? Colours are really nice but it looks like you have a lot of sharpening artefacts in that final shot. You wouldn't happen to use topaz would you? That's the kind of lines I was getting when I was using it.
Old 14-09-2021, 10:59 AM
Gasmanwill (Will)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
A 2 x Powermate on 2500mm focal length and a tiny sensor camera... You sir, are brave! And what a result. That's as good as it gets Congratulations!
Thanks Adam
Truth be told I diddnt know any different !! Its a new scope, I knew it was long but diddnt realise it was pushing it quite so much..

Thank you

Will
Old 14-09-2021, 11:06 AM
Gasmanwill (Will)

Thanks everyone

Yes as I admitted earlier this Jupiter is very early in my planetary career, I only started any Astro ten months ago.

Yes it does look over sharpened and @Multiweb you’re right I did use topaz.

In my excitement in trying to develop my post process workflow I think you are right I pushed the sliders up a little too far, in my defence this is literally the first ever Jupiter in good seeing (two previous in poor/avg seeing) that I have processed !

Cheers everyone

Will
Old 14-09-2021, 12:18 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasmanwill View Post
@Multiweb you’re right I did use topaz.
Avoid Topaz AI like the plague.
Old 14-09-2021, 02:14 PM
Gasmanwill (Will)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Avoid Topaz AI like the plague.
Hi MW

Seems a little harsh ? Yes I see it is over sharpened and yes it may be noticeable to the trained eye however overall I have had good feedback with this picture.

Surely there would be no harm in using it in a more sparing manner?

Forgive my newby questioning of this statement, I would just like to know why so that I can improve my imaging. Is it really that false?

Many thanks
Old 14-09-2021, 03:08 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

hi Will,

i could tell this was processed with topaz immediately, it is really easy to overdo it - I know I have done it myself

It looks like you might have some really really nice data behind this image - which is a shame to lose it through topaz. i think you would get a better result (& while being more faithful to Jupiter) playing around with the wavelets function in registax of course you can do what you like - just a suggestion. either way congrats on your first Jupiter

Cheers

Rusty
Old 14-09-2021, 03:24 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Hi MW

Seems a little harsh ? Yes I see it is over sharpened and yes it may be noticeable to the trained eye however overall I have had good feedback with this picture.
Good popular feedback doesn't make it real.

Quote:
Surely there would be no harm in using it in a more sparing manner?
With Topaz AI there is no sparing. It just doesn't work for astro photo.

Quote:
Forgive my newby questioning of this statement, I would just like to know why so that I can improve my imaging. Is it really that false?

Many thanks
Unfortunately it is false so you're doing yourself a disservice. Unless you want to do astro art.

This has been discussed at length previously here.
Old 14-09-2021, 05:06 PM
Gasmanwill (Will)

Thank you for enlightening me Marc. I read your post with interest and yes i do see and understand your point.

I am the first to admit i have a great deal to learn about astrophotography and astronomy in general and yes I am in the infancy of "ooh thats a pretty picture" phase. Yes I don't know anything about what Jupiter should look like from a scientifically correct perspective, up until a few months ago I only knew that it was stripey and had a great red spot. Forgive my ignorance but we all have to start somewhere.

It is an enormous subject that will take decades to accomplish and knowing where to look for information and choosing what to do as part of the process is at least half the battle, your advice (and future advice) will help me towards that goal, thank you

Right now (8 months in) I am simply pleased to be
1) under the stars
2) able to take shots/video of whatever I can
3) begin to string the myriad of new software, programs, processes and procedures to create any image at all

Ontop of the fact that i have been a mac user for 20+ years and am having more than enough issues with bl**dy windows 10!!!

I will take on your advice about AI, and i understand your comments about correctly representing the scene depicted. Following yours and @rustigsmed 's advice I will go back and "have another go"!

Thanks for the advice, I have broad shoulders!!
Old 14-09-2021, 05:10 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Thank you for enlightening me Marc. I read your post with interest and yes i do see and understand your point.

I am the first to admit i have a great deal to learn about astrophotography and astronomy in general and yes I am in the infancy of "ooh thats a pretty picture" phase. Yes I don't know anything about what Jupiter should look like from a scientifically correct perspective, up until a few months ago I only knew that it was stripey and had a great red spot. Forgive my ignorance but we all have to start somewhere.

It is an enormous subject that will take decades to accomplish and knowing where to look for information and choosing what to do as part of the process is at least half the battle, your advice (and future advice) will help me towards that goal, thank you

Right now (8 months in) I am simply pleased to be
1) under the stars
2) able to take shots/video of whatever I can
3) begin to string the myriad of new software, programs, processes and procedures to create any image at all

Ontop of the fact that i have been a mac user for 20+ years and am having more than enough issues with bl**dy windows 10!!!

I will take on your advice about AI, and i understand your comments about correctly representing the scene depicted. Following yours and @rustigsmed 's advice I will go back and "have another go"!

Thanks for the advice, I have broad shoulders!!
Not trying to start a sh|t fight but as you've probably noticed I loathe AI. Look, I always give an honest feedback. Good or bad. My point is that you have a 10" aperture and by the look of it you're getting really good data already. So why shoot yourself in the foot the last few steps by using a piece of software that is going to mangle it. Just use AS!3 and wavelets in Registax and you'll have a corker.
Old 14-09-2021, 06:02 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Great capture Will!
Old 15-09-2021, 11:23 AM
evltoy (Wayne)

F'ing insane!
Old 15-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Gasmanwill (Will)

Quote:
Not trying to start a sh|t fight but as you've probably noticed I loathe AI. Look, I always give an honest feedback. Good or bad. My point is that you have a 10" aperture and by the look of it you're getting really good data already. So why shoot yourself in the foot the last few steps by using a piece of software that is going to mangle it. Just use AS!3 and wavelets in Registax and you'll have a corker.
Totally cool man, no argument form me

The only way to progress is to take and process all feedback, good and bad, select out what you will use and try better time !

No offence taken an I look forward to more of your feedback soon
Old 16-09-2021, 06:40 PM
Lariliss (Larissa)

Quote:
This is a respectful approach. Unless you need to put a picture in a magazine or a high resolution print.
On the other hand, sometimes you can save time for minor corrections to have a better result than you might be able to have waiting for good weather, for instance.

In any case, for making pictures and music first of all the rough samples are the key to success.