Old 05-07-2021, 08:03 PM
Betelgeuse01 (David)

5mm Eyepiece

Hi, Can anyone suggest a good 5mm eyepiece in the 82 degree FOV, Which I plan to use with my Skywatcher 150ED Refractor telescope
Old 06-07-2021, 03:14 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

I am happy with my Pentax XW 5 mm…while not 82 degrees it is quite nice in my refractors. I would also suggest the Baader Morpheus range…they are not quite 82 degrees and I think their available in 4.5 and 6.5 mm…

Both are very comfortable in terms of eye relief and are suitable with glasses.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:04 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

A Tele Vue Nagler 5mm fits your requirements. They are available from Bintel.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:35 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

TeleVue Nagler6 5mm and Explore Scientific 82 Series 4.7mm are the only two that fits your requirements. All other have either smaller AFOV or larger AFOV.

Pentax SMC XW and Nikon NAV-SW are also excellent, but have smaller AFOV. Baader Morpheus is 76 degrees but 4.5mm is also outstanding eyepiece.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:32 AM
Dave882 (David)

I’ve got the ES 4.7mm. It’s absolutely excellent in my opinion. And a bit cheaper too.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:40 AM
mura_gadi (Steve)
SpeakingB4Thinking

Hello,

Can I ask what you want to view with the ep?

Just at high mag and wide field, then choosing bright objects like planets your going to be stretching all but the best ep's.

Your eye relief and placement will be critical if you want to get the full 82degree fov. You would gain a lot eye relief and easier eye placement with the slightly narrower fov ep's suggested from others.

Noblex (doctor) if money is not a major worry would be very good in the list.

Read about flare issues with the ep's if your thinking the really bright objects for the ep's use.

Steve
Ps. This is on sale for around the same price as the Nagler atm, $299 USD. APM XWA HDC Hyperwide 4.77mm 8-element 110° eyepiece--1.25"/2.0" (APM rate well value for money, I have no idea on this line - others on this site have spoken well of the XWA line though - see link or a few comments on the 4.77 from cn - tight ER though) - Having said that part of the value of Tele Vue is not only the ep but its resale price should it be too high powered for you.

If its F8 or more you have a fairly forgiving scope tbh, you might get away with less then premium. But others might want to comment on that.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...good-are-they/

Last edited by mura_gadi; 06-07-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:04 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

With a 5mm focal length the difference between ~70 deg AFOV eyepieces and ~80 deg AFOV eyepieces is fairly marginal IMO. I find it a lot less noticeable than I do with longer focal length eyepieces operating at lower powers where the TFOV is more important.

With a 5mm eyepiece provided the AFOV is > ~ 65 deg, the most important factors IMO, are comfort, contrast, sharpness and light throughput.

There are several excellent eyepieces around this focal length. My personal favourite is the 5mm Pentax XW. The Delos and Baader Morpheus are also excellent. If your budget conscious a 2nd hand 5mm TV Radian is also a good choice, if you can find one. While many will disagree, I don't rate the 5mm Nagler T6 quite the equal of the Pentax XW's or TV Delos in terms of the 4 criteria that I consider most important, although it is still a very good eyepiece if you're happy with the eye relief.

Cheers
John B
Old 07-07-2021, 09:34 AM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

Pentax XW, ES 4.7/82, ES 5.5/100, Delos, Ethos
Old 08-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Betelgeuse01 (David)

Thank for all the comments, I mainly want a mix of low power and high power Eyepieces to compliment my collection, so will buy a 5mm eyepiece once Ive decided which brand to buy