Old 03-08-2014, 09:55 AM
kjassi

Help buying my first telescope?

Hi,

Very much hoping you may be able to offer some advice or point me in the right direction.

I’ve had little experience with telescopes in the past but am now looking to purchase my first (well second but I broke the first one). I know there are a lot of articles and advice online but the more I read the more I seem to get confused.

I think my requirements are fairly basic, but again, happy to take advice here. I live in Sydney, Australia, out of the city where it’s fairly dark and not light polluted. Although this is where I would most use my telescope, I’d also be keen to take it away with me as I get out and about a bit, therefore the telescope needs to be able to be transported. Don’t mind if I need to take extra care and it’s a little heavy as it's only ever be in the car around remote Sydney. Having seen some of the potable ones, I feel I’d be sacrificing quality for the portable and convenience element.

I also would the functionality whereby the telescope is able to identify objects for me, computerized mount I believe its called. I’m confident over time I will find my way across the skies but for now, all the help I can get I’ll take. I understand that some of these can be difficult to set initially (locating 3 bright objects etc) so any advice also welcomed.

Next, I’ve recently been given a Canon 60D digital SLR camera that I’m having a lot of fun with. I’ve seen some amazing astrophotography, which I’d eventually like to dabble in, therefore, telescope must be able to work with a digital camera.

As for what I would like to see. As much as possible. Naturally, I’ll start with the basics of the moons and planets, but I’d love t have the capability to extend well beyond that as I gain more experience and become more confident.

I’ve had a good look at the following so far, NEXSTAR 4SE, NEXSTAR 130, & SKYPRODIGY 130. All look great and I think that the NESTAR 130 would best suit me, but not sure.

As for budget, I’m looking to spend up to AUD$1,000. But this is where I become a little more confused. The 4SE for example, looking at respected sellers on ebay can range from $999 (from Australia) or $600 (delivered from the US). Understand price varies but for a $400 saving, leaning towards US. Anything I should be aware off? Looks too good to be true.

Having recently entered the beautiful and amazing world of the skies, I appreciate that my questions may seem very basic. With a little help from you and getting the right telescope, I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions that will get you thinking.

Appreciate you taking the time to read and appreciate any advice.

Regards,
kjassi
Old 03-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Frostyricho (Stephen)

Hi kjassi,
Well im looking for a telescope too. And with the $400 dollar price range, America as way better deals than us due to their economy. I was looking a few weeks ago at a $400 dollar telescope in Australia then i looked it up in America and i found that it cost $150 Us dollars. So with the price i think it is true. America has way better deals than Australia.

Hope i helped you (a bit)
Kind Regards,
Frostyricho
Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostyricho View Post
Hi kjassi,
Well im looking for a telescope too. And with the $400 dollar price range, America as way better deals than us due to their economy. I was looking a few weeks ago at a $400 dollar telescope in Australia then i looked it up in America and i found that it cost $150 Us dollars. So with the price i think it is true. America has way better deals than Australia.

Hope i helped you (a bit)
Kind Regards,
Frostyricho
All sounds OK with the prices but remember a few things
-shipping cost can be very expensive for bulky items
-at higher level over $1k you must add GST
- many US makers (especially Celestron) will not allow there dealers to ship outside the US
- often times there is no warranty (again Celestron are prime example) and if there is the item will need to be shipped back to the US.

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 04-08-2014, 05:27 PM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

You need to spend more than 1K to seriously get into astrophotography, unfortunately.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:29 PM
NQAstro (Chris)
Awsome User

Well I'd have to say go with the nexstar 4se it's a great little scope "I now own one" givin the fact you want a scope with GOTO, but if I where in your shoes I'd be looking at a dob they have good bang for the buck. You could probably get a 10" dob for the same price as the 4se but the ease of transport and the tracking/GOTO ability maybe better in your case.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 AM
Brycepj (Peter)

Hey Guys I recently went down the same track as you are and astro photography is also something I looked at.
I searched and searched looking for refractors, cassigran etc etc. only wanting to spend $1,000 the more I looked the more confused I got. Then I came here... One of the best questions that set me on the right track was "what do you want to see?" I thought hang on " everything".. Then I really thought about it Deep sky object mainly, difficult as I'm only 11 klm from Melbourne.
The budget went up to$1,500 on the basis that I would rather buy something that will out perform my expectations. Goto functionality was a big one especially if I wish to take pix. After comparing scope against scope I settled on a Orion Goto 10" dobsonian, from bintel they were really helpful. The light gathering power of the 10 inch is amazing you can punch through Cloud's which staggered me. The 10" dob has an "f" ratio of 4.7 so for taking pix it's great. Dob's are the best value for money in terms of image capture. The first real scope I looked through was a Refractor that was about $10k with my dob I can see everything it see's may be not with the same clarity but still spectacular. The other issue that pushed me to a dob. Is the simplicity of design, alt az mounts are simple from what I read on equatorial mounts can take some additional set up time so first up the only set up you have is level base colmination and alignment using the Goto. Last night that took all of 5 minutes and mainly because I' fussy. People say you can't use a dob for pix, I'm still new at this but here is a pix from from last night.
Just also be aware that this interest can get expensive, I've already spent an extra $1000 so choose wisely
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpg)
35.8 KB86 views
Old 08-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Marios (Marios)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
You need to spend more than 1K to seriously get into astrophotography, unfortunately.

x2

1K would buy you a entry level mount for AP like the HEQ5.