Old 13-01-2010, 04:47 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Digitising old 35mm film slides?

During a recent clean up, I found an envelope with 5 old 35mm slides, one from 1964 and four from 1975.
I'm wondering if anyone can advise on cost effective ways of digitising these?

I took them to my local photography shop, but the results were pathetic, un-focused, very poor quality!
I can see by just holding the slides up to the light that they are well focused pictures, which should produce good digital pictures.
I've tried scanning them on my multi-function Epson printer, but it just won't scan film without an adapter.

I can get a slide scanner on eBay for $70 plus postage, but it seems a rather expensive way to get just 5 slides done.

I'm happy to send them off for processing to someone reliable who will make some effort to produce acceptable results!

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Chris
Old 13-01-2010, 05:13 PM
astro744

Try a pro photo lab or scanning service; there should be at least one in Victoria. Note the cost per slide could be anywhere from $3 to $40 depending on your scan resolution which determines file size and final image size for printing. The lowest cost gives you a file for printing at 10 x 15cm max.

Get them as TIFF files too and you can image process later as needed.
Old 13-01-2010, 05:24 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Thanks astro744,

Some quick research suggests that minimum orders of $50 to $60 apply from the pro labs.

I've found a 5MP scanner that hooks up to your PC for only $49 plus postage http://www.citysoftware.com.au/SVP_D...r_BUN0082.aspx

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this type of scanner?

Cheers
Chris
Old 13-01-2010, 05:31 PM
supernova1965 (Warren)
Buddhist Astronomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp9au View Post
During a recent clean up, I found an envelope with 5 old 35mm slides, one from 1964 and four from 1975.
I'm wondering if anyone can advise on cost effective ways of digitising these?

I took them to my local photography shop, but the results were pathetic, un-focused, very poor quality!
I can see by just holding the slides up to the light that they are well focused pictures, which should produce good digital pictures.
I've tried scanning them on my multi-function Epson printer, but it just won't scan film without an adapter.

I can get a slide scanner on eBay for $70 plus postage, but it seems a rather expensive way to get just 5 slides done.

I'm happy to send them off for processing to someone reliable who will make some effort to produce acceptable results!

Your advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Chris
My Scanner has an adapter for slides and while I would be willing to give it a go if you can find someone with more experience to do it for you I would get them to do it but if you want me to I will give it a go but be warned I will be learning as I go
Old 13-01-2010, 05:40 PM
chrisp9au (Chris)
Hitchhiker

Thanks for the offer Warren, very kind of you!

This thread is only a few minutes old, so I might wait to see what other responses I get.

I'm thinking that the $50 scanner might be a reasonable option, I know I have lots more slides that could be digitised.
It's just that these 5 pictures have special significance.

Thanks again, I'll keep you in mind!

Cheers
Chris
Old 13-01-2010, 05:57 PM
astro744

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp9au View Post
Thanks astro744,

Some quick research suggests that minimum orders of $50 to $60 apply from the pro labs.

I've found a 5MP scanner that hooks up to your PC for only $49 plus postage http://www.citysoftware.com.au/SVP_D...r_BUN0082.aspx

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of this type of scanner?

Cheers
Chris
I use a Plustek OpticFilm 7200 film scanner with Silverfast Ai Studio software but I have thousands of slides with about a third Kodachrome. My scanner can do 7200DPI but I have scanned at 5400DPI with each TIFF file at approx 100MB. Silverfast allows you to tweak the processing prior to scanning. Check out http://www.silverfast.com/show/silve...studio/en.html

At $49 the scanner you mentioned may be worth trying and it may give you all you need. I'm not familiar with the make or model though. Note not all hardware and software can handle Kodachrome and you end up with a tint over your image which can be removed in photoshop to some degree. Sometimes odd artifacts are also generated around highlights and shadow edges.
Old 17-01-2010, 05:06 PM
bojan
amateur

Hi Chris.
I also have Plustek 7200 + Silverfast.
Sent them over and I will do them for you :-)