Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 06-05-2021, 10:20 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Rassa 11 inch

I am thinking if I find these cancer tablets give me just a little more time which I am hoping for obviously.. to get a RASA 11 inch and a ZWO mono 2600 plus a filter draw etc...but would my new eq6 manage..I am thinking short exposures maybe no guiding..or should I get an rq8 as well..I have gone off the Ioptron mounts...things go wrong I hear??? do you think I could get away with just using the eq6 mount? I am past worrying about the cost for reasons that may not be obvious to some folk and really the only thing holding me back is how I pull up as my legs seem much worse and the X seemed to be trying to tell me that astronomy may be out for me ... and if these pills slow things up just a little I want to go for it..
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 10:28 AM
bojan
amateur

Alex,

EQ6 should be OK for C11 (and RASA as well).
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=232463
Old 06-05-2021, 10:52 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Bojan..is that your scope and mount?

The cancer doctor was supposed to ring and he did not...phone appointment..is that good in that he figures I dont need him any more or bad in that he has given up?
I was wrong about the price of the pills as one box is $6400..ironically the price of the RASA..

I am getting so hot for this scope .. lucky its cloudy thats all that is stopping me now although I dont want it to turn up at the post office and everyone is at my funeral..but really I wont know will I...so that is another concern out of the way...but these RASA scopes appeal as I wont have to spend as much time aquiring data or so I believe..managing filters via a draw I can handle..just leave one filter in for the night and shoot various objects and go for a different filter the next night...Anyways I might just ring Bintel and annoy them now.
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 11:01 AM
bojan
amateur

Yes, both mine.. I am trying to get rid of this mount as I have another one which is now permanently mounted in Mount Pleasant.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:22 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks for your input ... I felt the eq6 should manage..I did hang my 12 inch f5 off my old eq6 and it worked..rang John at Bintel and he is sending me a list of stuff to keep me interested...and good news he can now handle the filter draw...that pretty well seals the deal for me as I did not want to go to the bother of getting it elsewhere...so if the doctor will give me an indication of what we can expect I think I will just get the gear...and if I have to get and pay for an assistant to set it up and even help take photos ....why not...its not as though I spend money on anything else..cheap car etc..heck all this wont even cost the price of my car...even if I need the eq8 its still not that much really...
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 11:23 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Alex, get the RASA if cost really isn't an iusse. This is what you love. Forget about cars, refractors or slower reflectors. The speed of an F/2 will have you laughting throughout your entire workflow, and you will get results fast. Heck, even the learning curve is fun. Time's precious, you don't want to waste any of it on any of the things that come with "regular" exposure times. The sacrifice is basically around your star shapes.

I'm dabbling with a smaller setup, the C6 plus Hyperstar on a camera tracker (the iOptron Skyguider). I absolutely love it. Here's its first look at a DSO, to see what might be possible. Not that remarkable perhaps, until one considers this was the first attempt, was done with a planetary cam (ASI 174), uses no calibration frames, is a crop, and was set up, roughly collimated, aligned, captured and "processed" within one hour. 50 subs of 10 seconds each, through a UHC designed for visual, from my Bortle 4 backyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (B33 C6.jpg)
87.6 KB100 views
Old 06-05-2021, 11:30 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Well thanks for taking the time to share your experience Mirko I really appreciate your words...I am happy to be "talked" into what is probably an ambitious move... great photo for the time etc...
Sounds as it will be July for the gear to arrive which sounds a long way off ...at least things are moving...
Thanks again.
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 11:34 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Star shapes???
Fortunately I am not fussy and rather handy with Photoshop
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 11:46 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Well that, and the much-reduced focal length and image scale that comes with the speed. But if the 620mm of the RASA11 is enough, then I don't know what else is there to not like.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:16 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I gave up on the idea of a 16 inch because thinking about it made me realise that long FL requires perhaps just a little more than I would like to give.
Being realistic for me it is about getting "pretty" pictures and being able to watch my friends and relations roll their eyes when I say I am buying yet another telescope.
All good ..something to look forward to in addition to all the other neat things in my life.
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 12:22 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
..something to look forward to in addition to all the other neat things in my life.
Alex
Like that new guitar!
Old 06-05-2021, 12:30 PM
TrevorW

Hey Alex buy what makes you happy with cancer its like throwing the dice you will never know what may pop up so just live each day at its best and enjoy what time you have. I have a friend with cancer and the Dr's told him several years back he only had a year of two to live as it was incurable but he's still hanging in there, all the best
Old 06-05-2021, 12:58 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex,
As others have said, don’t hold back with your choice of scope and mount , you have nothing to lose and everything to gain , enjoy every day and night !!

By the way when you mention EQ6 mount do you mean .... EQ6 or EQ6-R mount as they are different beasts
The EQ6-R is belt driven and has USB connectivity to control via EQMOD, but I suspect you will just use the handcontroller
I have 2 off EQ6-R mounts ( 2018 model with no USB port and 2019 model with USB port ) they are superb mounts for the price
The EQ8-R mount is a HUGE leap from the EQ6-R mount , to start with a whopping 50kg payload rating whereas the EQ6-R is 20kg
I don’t why Skywatcher haven’t produced say an “EQ7-R” mount with 32 or 35kg payload?? If they did I’d buy one today
Anyway enjoy what ever you choose and hope you get plenty of clear nights up there at your dark sky site at Tabby
Best always
Martin
Old 06-05-2021, 02:00 PM
TrevorW

Oh I'm also looking at a new mount and this is a beast that should not be overlooked -

https://www.highpointscientific.com/...stem-gm11gt-lt
Old 06-05-2021, 03:18 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Like that new guitar!
Since my left hand has recovered and that coincided with coming home I have been playing ... And found a huge improvement due to watching so many YouTube videos but also changing to playing mainly in B minor which for what ever reason encourages me to be more expressive..I only started thinking about the new guitar two days ago actually, but I am so happy with this one I bought just before Xmas, and it still really needs adjustment..but I sure like it.
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 03:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Martin...I have the belt drive and USB model purchased recently plus and old eq6. The new one is set up on the pier in the large rolloff roof observatory.
The old mount is in the small observatory ( also a roll off roof 8 x4x4 ft approx) along with the HEQ5...the idea is that the old eq6 will carry a digital camera for wide fields ( my current Nikon with a yet to be purchased suitable lens) and the HEQ 5 to carry the 80 mm Espirit..mmm it needs its own camera...maybe a one shot colour...when the Rassa arrives the 115 mm will go on the HEQ 5...I still have the "Cube" observatory in Sydney to bring up but then I need another mount as well so I can get the 8 inch up and running...a lot to do and plenty of time to do it I expect.
I like processing and Photoshop and so I want an unlimited supply of data...these days I cant go sailing or rides bikes etc ..I cant even garden really.
So a simple pursuit such as astrophotography works for me...plus the guitars and microscope stuff..and the drawing.
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 03:53 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Oh I'm also looking at a new mount and this is a beast that should not be overlooked -

https://www.highpointscientific.com/...stem-gm11gt-lt
Yes but there seem conflicting reports ..some people love them others seem to have had problems..I dont know..but I was put off when thinking about them for some reason..I did at one point think they were the top shelf mount under the plus $12k mark and I liked the way the company came into being and the guy behind the company.

In any event I will look at take the opportunity to thank you for putting that specific mount forward for consideration.
Alex
Old 06-05-2021, 04:02 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorW View Post
Hey Alex buy what makes you happy with cancer its like throwing the dice you will never know what may pop up so just live each day at its best and enjoy what time you have. I have a friend with cancer and the Dr's told him several years back he only had a year of two to live as it was incurable but he's still hanging in there, all the best
The Doctor just rang actually and I joked about the scope arriving whilst the funeral was on and she said that she really did not think things would go that way..rather than remind her that they admitted it was aggressive and they did not know that much about it I have decided to take her comments on board and order the scope...I mean there will be folk who feel sorry for me today who may get hit by a truck before I go...and deep down I just feel I am so lucky I will beat it...so there is no point in putting off the purchase..my legs must come around..they can only be playing up cause I was down for so long...anyways I am now doing short walks using only the walking stick to build some strength...and I am going to take this new wheelchair and put it in the observatory and start doing things whilst sitting in it to see if that will work..well it will work I just need to adjust to what I have and what I dont have.
Alex
Old 07-05-2021, 02:15 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Any advice as to what filters to buy..brand and size?...I seem to recall that one needed a particular brand of filter to manage f2. ( ZWO 2600 will be the camera)
Can I get by with S, Ha and O? Or should I just get the lot?
Any input greatly appreciated..I really dont know what I am doing so please help me make a sensible purchase.

The "list" setting out scope camera and filter draw is here and I just want to add filters so when the box arrives I will be ready to go.
Thank you
Alex
Old 08-05-2021, 09:30 AM
N1 (Mirko)

For anything narrowband you do want to consider high-speed filters made for f/2 or thereabouts. The shallow light cone at f/2 means that some (a lot) of the light will be hitting the filter at angles that a regular filter isn't designed to perform at, and the transmission window moves off the band you want. I understand even the high-speed filter involve some compromises, mainly affecting their bandwidth (which gets a bit wider). RGB, less critical I expect, and then I'd consider a good luminance filter too.