Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2011, 04:14 PM
leinad (Dan)

FLI Focusers (PDF, DF-2, Atlas)

Im trying to find more information on these focusers; ie intructions, pictures that explain how the focuser mounts to the telescope side.

I'm exploring ideas to get more backfocus and FLI's Focsuer products are an option I'm looking at.

If anyone has any good links, etc could you please send them through?
Thanks

*I've looked at FLI website, and PDF's but couldnt find a visual guide or diagram, besides focuser dimensions
Old 08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
gregbradley

I sometimes use a FLI PDF focuser. It works well and mine does not flex even under heavy loads. Its about 25mm thick and it requries a FLI adapter with their V groove system on one side and a similar on the other. In my case it has on the camera side an adapter that fits in the PDF and then into the FLI filter wheel.

I have used it with a Tak BRC250, a Pentax lens and even a refractor although I now use Robofocus as they don't add weight to the focuser and work fine.

I forget if I got both or one from FLI but one is definitely from Ashley at Precise Parts in Miami. Typically his adapters cost about US$200-225 plus about $25 for mail. So you'll need to add a custom adapter like that plus a cheaper stock FLI one (probably around US$125).

Greg.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:18 PM
leinad (Dan)

Hi Greg,

So you're saying that the telescope side is threaded.
Got a picture you can prop up ?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

There's a manual for all the focusers on the FLI site: http://www.flicamera.com/pdf/Focuser_RevC_print.pdf

There are also drawings of the standard adapters (and prices) here: http://www.flicamera.com/adapters/index.html

I have an Atlas on the way (shipped from the USA today) for the same reason you mention, to get additional back focus distance on a GSO RC10. I also plan to use the Atlas on my FSQ-106ED. I ended up getting two standard adapters from FLI (FSQ-106ED to Atlas and Atlas to AP 2.7" for the imaging train) and I had Precise Parts make me an adapter to connect the RC10 to the Atlas.

Cheers,
Rick.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 PM
leinad (Dan)

Thanks Rick,

The adapters page was what I needed. Perfect.
What was the total cost shipped if I may ask(PM me if needed). Did you order direct; or third-party ?

Did you have to wait long for shipment?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leinad View Post
What was the total cost shipped if I may ask(PM me if needed). Did you order direct; or third-party ?

Did you have to wait long for shipment?
I ordered from Bintel. Their listed price wasn't a lot more than what it would have cost me to order from the US and I figured that local warranty was worthwhile on a relatively expensive purchase. I was somewhat disappointed that they wouldn't honour the price on their online shop because the exchange rate had moved since they set the price (well, duh! that happens... and they still haven't updated the online price a month and a half later) but they didn't charge me a lot extra. I'll PM you the gory details...

It has taken just over four weeks from confirming the order to hearing today that it was on the way to Bintel from FLI.

Cheers,
Rick.